SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to include a message board on my site. It must be full-featured, inexpensive and user-friendly.

This is a family site so I don't expect tons of traffic. However, the "user-friendly" part is critical if I am to encourage computer-phobic family members to participate.

Can anyone point me to some good ones to look at? I like this one although it might be intimidating for my newbies.

Thanks in advance.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically all message boards look something like this, the ones that dont are much harder to use.

I recommend vbulletin (www.vbulletin.com) if you're on a server with MySQL and PHP. The free version is alot better than the free version of UBB and its also exponentially easier to set up.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if vBulletin would be characterized as "inexpensive"...but it's certainly the best available. No point in using UBB anymore as it's also more expensive than vB.

If you're cheap like me, you should consider BoardPower - not bad considering it's free.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The free version of vBulletin is actually quite good and simple to use. There's also a decent control panel built into it. Considering its only for your family to use I'd recommend vBulletin over any other one. It's also fast!

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're on a NT platform, you could try the Snitz forum (http://forum.snitz.com). It's easy to use and easy to set up. It's also FREE!!

It can run with either an Access database or it can run on SQL server, so it gives you a couple of options depending on how active it gets (though with just family members, it should be OK with just the Access)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend BoardPower ( www.thewebmasterforums.com ). It is free, fully featured, and lots of things get done immediately, you can also check out my site ( www.bphackers.com) anyway, i really like it, and it is just plain awesome. There is a free SQL version on its way also