SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tutorial Website: Whats Your Best Method of Learning?

Hi everyone, just wondering, if you go on any web tutorial websites, or even purchase any books for learning / studying techy related subjects, whats your favourite method of learning?

I'm thinking about setting up a tutorial website for tech related subjects, including web design and development.

I'm wondering:

- Video tutorials like Lynda.com?
    - Text tutorials with screenshots?
    - Printable articles with a print stylesheet?
    - Podcasts supporting written articles on the website?
    - All of the above?

What are your thoughts?

And also, would you prefer to learn the easy way, i.e, learn the basics so you know what you're doing, or learn the hard way, i.e, learn the ins and outs of every tid-bit so you're a master of it?

Let me know please! Cheers!

Andrew Cooper
    Last edited by AndrewCooper; Mar 8, 2009 at 18:38. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's possible (for example if the article is not 50 pages long) I like to print articles.
    There're many articles on web which only tell so basic things that after reading you can just say "nice article" and that's all. So I would like to find an article which gives some information and that is really helpful.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats good and very informative

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently like using Lynda.com. I also have used VTC.com. I have read load of books as well. Currently I find online videos to be the best for me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just work on my projects and if I don't know something I use google and try to change a tutorial or whatever so it will fit my needs.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trial and error is all I can stand. These days it is too easy to come to a site like this and ask for help and get it instantaneously

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm mainly talking about beginners who haven't the money to purchase books or have subscriptions to O'REILLY's Safari or Lynda.com, because, you see my tutorial website, including all podcasts, text tutorials, printable tutorials and video tutorials will all be offered for free, and I don't intend on having many advertisers either =P [You'll understand why when I launch the website.]

So, now, bearing in mind all of the tutorials and website content is absolutely free. What learning methods do you prefer and do you want in-depth tutorials on the technicalities or just the basics?

Cheers again for the input, It seriously is valued because I've never done anything like this before.

Andrew Cooper

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are enough tutorial websites out there already that don't go into detail. It may be perfect for people who hate to read or who generally just scan to get the info they need. I find tutorial sites that aim to educate their readers much more compelling. I know it's cool to have short video tutorials these days, but it isn't for everyone.
    I find having indepth articles that aim to shed light on every possible angle, examines a topic thoroughly to be of much better value for learning.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learn better from visual tutorials and screen shots. Most people will not read a load of text.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The favourite method is throgh a simple step-by-step ebook or manual. There are many internet services that does not download video.
    I am looking for an ebook on joomla. can you assist me?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find tutorial sites that aim to educate their readers much more compelling. I know it's cool to have short video tutorials these days, but it isn't for everyone.
    I find having indepth articles that aim to shed light on every possible angle, examines a topic thoroughly to be of much better value for learning.
    Agreed! Exactly my thoughts!

The favourite method is throgh a simple step-by-step ebook or manual.
    I was thinking about doing a few small PDF booklets actually! I'll have a look at seeing what Joomla resources there currently is!

Thanks, anything else anyone want to contribute?

Anndrew Cooper

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper View Post
    Hi everyone, just wondering, if you go on any web tutorial websites, or even purchase any books for learning / studying techy related subjects, whats your favourite method of learning?
    I think it depends on what the subject is. If it's learning to use a 3D package, for example, I prefer videos. If it's coding then I prefer written tutorials.

I do like video, but one disadvantage I've found with it is that it's a very linear format. You usually have to watch the video from beginning to end for fear of missing something and you are very much tied in to the presenter's pace. Not so much a problem if the presenter goes at just the right pace for you, though. With written tutorials you can scan the page for headings and search the page for keywords too.

I'm doing a similar thing with a tutorial site, and though the content is ideal for video, I'm providing it in written form, purely for the search engine benefit. Ideally I'll make videos too, but always with a written transcript so that the tutorials have a better chance of getting found in the search engines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I suggest to add a weekly email to subscribers with step by step tutorials. Plus a monthly newsletter.
    If the article/lesson are concise they will get good attention. If you add small lessons of 'tips & tricks' it will boost the learning.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like video, but one disadvantage I've found with it is that it's a very linear format. You usually have to watch the video from beginning to end for fear of missing something and you are very much tied in to the presenter's pace. Not so much a problem if the presenter goes at just the right pace for you, though. With written tutorials you can scan the page for headings and search the page for keywords too.
    So in video tutorials, having a contents type of frame would be a good idea? So, when the video starts or something, or you can bring up a "Menu" like in a DVD Chapter Selection, and click to go to that part of the video. That would be a good idea then?

Ideally I'll make videos too, but always with a written transcript so that the tutorials have a better chance of getting found in the search engines.
    Also for accessibility too. If someone is having a problem with the video then a good idea would be to have a written transcript. I'm not too sure on having video tutorials but, with accompanying written tutorials with screenshots.

First I suggest to add a weekly email to subscribers with step by step tutorials. Plus a monthly newsletter.
    I was also thinking about this but would prefer the audience / users to sign-up to a forum message board and be mass e-mailed from their. It's easier on me then :P Besides, I'm not too keen on weekly emailing people. Or newletters or mail lists. I think having a monthly newsletter is fine though! Thanks for that!

If the article/lesson are concise they will get good attention. If you add small lessons of 'tips & tricks' it will boost the learning.
    I'm hoping people will like them enough to spread by word-of-mouth. I like that idea too, but how about a side-section in each lesson / tutorial giving a list of extra resources too? Such as: "Suggested Reading:" or "Extra's:" with a list of books on that specific subject / tutorial to Amazon books? Including a list to some creditable websites with other information or views on the subject too.

Cheers for the feedback, getting a lot more replies now which I'm glad and relieved about! Anything else? If you want to learn about something in the future, you want to learn it properly and concisely, but what is it you would prefer?

Andrew Cooper