SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Service Installation Problem

I created a program a long time ago that uses a Windows Service. I haven't looked at this program in over a year and now need to work on the code.

I have all the source code on my development machine, and am trying to run it on my machine to test out some stuff.

First, I need to install the Window Service.

I have a file called InstallUtil.exe. If I remember correctly I need to click that file to install the Window Service, and then go into computer management to start the Windows Service.

Everytime I click on that file I get a DOS window that opens up and flashes on the screen. It flashes too fast for me to read what it says.

But I assume something is going wrong because the service doesn't appear to be installing. I cannot locate it in the services management.

Can someone refresh my memory on how to get this working?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you cannot run this InstallUtil.exe application from a command prompt? That should leave the error message on your command prompt window to evaluate. We used an app2service utility in the past and if I remember it was a command prompt utility and did not have a graphical interface at all. It may be the same case with this utility.

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is correct. You must run it through command prompt. Then if it throws any errors you can see it. But sometimes it might also need to be run with switches.

EG. InstallUtil.exe /i

But that depends

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I have no idea then.

I ran the file from a command prompt and all it did was give me a list of possible paramaters. I tried using /i but it didn't do anything and none of the paramaters I seen had anything to do with installing.

I still can't find the service in computer management.