SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about Windows XP 64

About 10 years ago i bought Windows XP Pro. As one of a few i dare to admit that i like XP. I worked with many different operating systems including Apple's OS-X and several Linux distributions, but XP Pro is what i like.

Once every few years I am building a new system and that time is now. Since the CPU will be a Intel Quadcore 6600 i need to have a 64bit OS. I have a few questions about it.

1. I have the original XP Pro, is it possible to upgrade to 64bit? And if so what does it cost en where can i do it? I read it was free, but couldn't find more info.

2. XP is already 10 years old and SP3 was announced to be the last service pack. Is it wise to stick with XP or should i go with Vista? It has to be Windows since i won't be buying new licenses for all my software that won't run on other systems.

3. Will all my current software like Adobe CS premium 1, Premiere Pro, etc. work on XP64? And will they benefit from a quadcore?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fought along with a large crowd resisting Vista, bought a new laptop about a year and a half ago and spent three days getting the drivers and installing them to make XPpro work.

I got a new desktop last September, Vista 64 with 4mb ram, and became a convert (perhaps an evangelist) in two days.

I have not followed closely, but you might see what the status of Windows 7 is before you commit to Vista. I would recommend at least 4mb but favor 8mb ram. It is amazing the perceived divverence of this 64 system.

I kick myself in the butt daily for not spending the time to restore vista on the laptop, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I think, but am not sure, Vista64 is better than XP64 at handling older applications.
    Last edited by robinInTexas; Mar 7, 2009 at 19:00. Reason: jb
    Robin
    Find out how to get More Money at this URL

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    64bit version of Windows XP was an experiment release at best, it never caught on with hardware developers or mainstream in any form. Windows Vista on the other hand is a first class citizen in terms of 64bit support. While there is a lack of major support for every possible combination of hardware, mostly old hardware has the lack of support.

If you are going for a new 64bit computer and you want to use Windows then there really is only Windows Vista to chose from if you want the best support.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) unsure, ive never heard anything like that.

2) Im an XP fan aswell, its a great OS. I suggest avoiding Vista. Either stick with XP (although support is due to be stopped eventually) or wait for Windows 7 to become more mainstream.

3) They will all work on 64bit. And will give you large boost in performance from a quad, quads are really only utilisted complety in heavy photo and video editing at this time, although newer games are slowly implenting quad support.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyspam View Post
    2) Im an XP fan aswell, its a great OS. I suggest avoiding Vista. Either stick with XP (although support is due to be stopped eventually) or wait for Windows 7 to become more mainstream.
    Do you have a reason why the OP should avoid Windows Vista?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwctw View Post
    Since the CPU will be a Intel Quadcore 6600 i need to have a 64bit OS.
    You do not need a 64 bit OS for a 64 bit processor. You can continue running XP 32-bit if you'd like.

If you want the maximum benefit from your new processor, you should get Vista. It makes the best use of multiple cores yet.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwctw View Post
    1. I have the original XP Pro, is it possible to upgrade to 64bit? And if so what does it cost en where can i do it? I read it was free, but couldn't find more info.
    I don't think the license is specific to 32 or 64 bit. You would just need a 64 bit disc or downloaded disc image. AFAIK your license is valid for installing that (at the same time as removing your previous installation of course, if it's a single license). So you could try it out and see if it works for you.

Have you tried getting a disc from MS?

S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes... go for vista if you want to take benefit from your new hardware.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevod View Post
    I don't think the license is specific to 32 or 64 bit. You would just need a 64 bit disc or downloaded disc image. AFAIK your license is valid for installing that (at the same time as removing your previous installation of course, if it's a single license). So you could try it out and see if it works for you.
    Only in terms of Windows Vista does the 32bit license also can be used for the 64bit version. On Windows XP it requires it own serial and license for the 32bit and 64bit. I would be surprised if you can even get a legal version of Windows XP 64bit anyways.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah fair enough. It was in connection with Vista that I'd read that admittedly....

S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Do you have a reason why the OP should avoid Windows Vista?
    Mainly because all of Microsoft effort is going into Windows 7. Vista isnt that bad an OS if you've got 4GB of RAM to back it up. It just seems like Microsoft is dumping Vista, they are offering free upgrades from Vista to Windows 7 (through a massive service pack i believe) for people currently using Vista.. so if even Microsoft is getting people off Vista.. thats a clear sign of something there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree that you need 4mb for Vista to run well.

The few perceived annoyances from the switch to vista disappeared for me in about a week.

Windows 7 will likely be an improvement, but as far as I am concerned Vista was by far the best production OS from M$.

I just wish they would just release is in no more than 2 versions, either lite or full.
    Cassidy
    Income Mobility Make Your Income Upwardly Mobile
    WEB HOST with unlimited domains, Bandwidth, Disk Space, MYSQL
    $25 first year limited time offer Jiffy Hosting

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    I definitely agree that you need 4mb for Vista to run well.
    Thats funny here I am running on 2 GB perfectly fine, and much better then Windows XP did. Another computer in the living room is running Vista also with only 1 GB and it is running smoothly.

So why is that I do not need 4 GB (or as you put it, 4 megabits*) to run Vista well?

* 8 bits make one byte, about a billion bytes make one gigabyte.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyspam View Post
    Mainly because all of Microsoft effort is going into Windows 7.
    Not all there efforts but most yes.

Vista isnt that bad an OS if you've got 4GB of RAM to back it up.
    And Windows XP is a much worse offering, so I don't understand the logic.

It just seems like Microsoft is dumping Vista, they are offering free upgrades from Vista to Windows 7 (through a massive service pack i believe) for people currently using Vista..
    Not quite, Windows Vista still has a long way to get before the end of its release cycle. If they were dumping Vista we would not have SP2 in the pipeline which is at RC.

Microsoft is not offering Windows 7 free of charge to current owners of Vista. Instead what they are going to do is, when you buy a computer with Vista at a certain time you'll get a free upgrade to Windows 7. This is what they did with Vista.

so if even Microsoft is getting people off Vista.. thats a clear sign of something there.
    You have it backwards. Microsoft is trying to get people onto Windows Vista. If you move to Windows Vista now the path to upgrading to Windows 7 is much much easier.