SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Is it possible to learn Dreamweaver in a few weeks?

Is it possible to learn Dreamweaver in a few weeks? I am using now Xsitepro2 and wonder whether it is worthwhile upgrading to Dreamweaver CS4 and learn to use it quickly to be able to design a webpage from scratch.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy Slackr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on your current level of experience. Dreamweaver is a pretty serious tool but a powerful one. Although I'm not familiar with Xsitepro from the looks of their website it channels much of your activity through supported options. DW doesn't do that for you so it requires more knowledge of how to install, access, modify, troubleshoot etc.

But if you already know code then learning how to run DW shouldn't be a problem because you can see feedback of the code DW is writing immediately. I guess it depends on how commited you are, but if you don't have some of these pre-existing skills get some very good tutorial material or DW will baffle and confuse you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks, I think that I will stick with Xsitepro for a while and start to get some tutorials on DW. I will be able in the future to export my work from Xsitepro to DW.
    Is there a good tutorial to elarn DW step by step?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is pretty easy to learn in my opinion. If you're familiar with design and HTML you should be able to pick it up in 2 weeks. At least the basics.
    WebDesign.fm - my web design blog
    Web Design Inspiration Do Follow Blogs

Follow me on Twitter - Russ Adams

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can give a try at DW and download the trial version, thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started to use Dreamweaver from scratch with little or no html knowledge and if you want to challenge yourself its a good way to learn.

I'm not sure you could do it in 2 weeks, but a little longer would give you a solid grounding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you mean by 2 weeks. Full time 40-50 hours a week, shouldn't be a problem for anyone who isn't actually scared of keyboards. Part time, a few hours if you're free in the evening, much less likely.

When I started out I learnt DW (part time) over the course of about 3 months using Sams teach your self DW in 21 days, it was a great book and easily worth the 30. That was a few years ago so I've no idea if its still up todate but worth a look if you can.

The other alternative, if you're already comfortable with Xsitepro2, is to take a step back and learn to hand code so you don't need either DW or Xsitepro2. You could continue to use Xsitepro2 for now whilst you learn and it may take a bit longer but it will be more beneficial in the long run.

Good luck,
    D

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are willing to put the effort and time in, you can learn pretty much any application within a month so in the case of Dreamweaver I see no reason why you couldn’t learn this within a two week period, at least to a basic enough level to feel the benefits.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning Dreamweaver is not a big deal if you are into programing and know HTML and website basics.
    You can refer following links for tutorials on Dreamweavers : tutorialized.com/tutorials/Dreamweaver/1
    intranetjournal.com/articles/200002/dream_index.html
    Fully Managed Dedicated Server with 24/7/365 Live support.