SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please reccomend a CMS that fits my needs.

I am building a community/portal. This will support a local foreign community in a large city. This Website will sustain itself on Advertising and services, so there will be a commercial aspect.
    Here is my Wish list:
    • Preferably free open source (I have a limited budget)
    • PHP/Mysql
    • Single Sign-on (as much as possible)
    • Easy to Admin and manage content for a non-programmer.
    • Classifieds (Not free, must be able to accept payment)
    • Job board
    • Yellow pages/business directory (Not free)
    • Personals/Dating (again, not free)
    • The ability to display both English and Chinese Characters.
    • The ability to switch between English or Chinese Menus.
    • It would be great if the content displayed on the front page could change depending on which language they choose.
    • forums w/ private forums
    • Member Blogs

I think you get the idea.. The number of Web CMS available today is overwhelming, and it seems you must choose the right tool for the job to avoid running into road blocks. I am not a developer, so I would like to be able to achieve most of the above using modules/gadgets/add-ons. Which CMS do you recommend for this project based on CMS capabilities and available modules. Your advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me that no matter which one you pick, you are going to have a lot of customization needed. Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal would be worth checking, but even those are going to need some custom work including writing some code as well as design work. This is no small project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not sure where to start. Anyone use ImpressCMS? Dual language support seems to be a bit of an obstacle.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of ImpressCMS so I can't help you there. This will not be chaning a few lines of code, what you want is a website with blogs, forums, job & dating boards, and a directory. This can be done easily if they were spread across different websites but if they are all linked together then this can be a problem. This website will require a lot of customization, you may be able to find extensions or plug-ins for some of the stuff such as multi-language, but anything else will require coding. I use wordpress but my website does not have most of the stuff you want, the multiple blogs is possible with Wordpress MU but everything else will require customization. If you have a low budget then I can only recommend you learn HTML, CSS, PHP and other coding language and make the website from scratch yourself or learn coding and make extensions/plug-ins for a current cms. If you can pay someone to make the cms for you but have the rights to resell the CMS so you can make the money back.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see from the Joomla point of view:

* Preferably free open source (I have a limited budget) YES
    * PHP/Mysql YES
    * Single Sign-on (as much as possible)YES
    * Easy to Admin and manage content for a non-programmer.YES
    * Classifieds (Not free, must be able to accept payment)YES
    * Job board YES
    * Yellow pages/business directory (Not free) YES
    * Personals/Dating (again, not free) You have to check
    * The ability to display both English and Chinese Characters.YES
    * The ability to switch between English or Chinese Menus.YES
    * It would be great if the content displayed on the front page could change depending on which language they choose.YES
    * forums w/private forums YES Private forum: Probably No; but not sure, you have to check.
    * Member Blogs YES

Here all YES issues you can administrate from the Joomla admin panel

N.B. here you need to get some 3rd party Joomla extensions, which may be commercial. But most of them are with GPL license, therefore I personally think that Joomla can minimize your cost.

Here is the extensions joomla link:http://extensions.joomla.org/

Hope you best luck.