User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    Another option that I didn't mention, is that you have a "premium" product, which adds some features to the free product. I'm not sure what this would be in your case though.
    This is a very interesting option that I didn`t think of. I could possibly find a way to make a premium version without rendering the basic version useless. Very interesting, thanks !

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is so superior and saves time, couldn't you use it to make more websites per unit time, increasing your revenue to such a point that you can make a business out of that (assuming you aren't doing so already), training up employees to use it and use the whole library to fuel your business?

If you don't see this is as viable, neither can potential customers. If you do - who needs the library-customers when you have enough client demand anyway?

The big problem that I see is that it can't be THAT revolutionary, can it? I mean, SQL is very easy to get the basics of and it ain't too hard to learn the more advanced stuff. In fact I'd say that, as it is, you cannot possibly match it's syntactic efficiency when doing some complicated queries.

And as for the model side of it, that isn't hard to put into practise.

So what I'm asking you is what makes your code so good? Why should people bother using it? How will it make my job easier?

Edit:

This isn't an attack - it's simply a challenge for you to 'sell' the idea of your product
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps you could post what the library does and how it is better that what is curently available. We don't need to see the code but sell us on it.
    What I lack in acuracy I make up for in misteaks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenw View Post
    perhaps you could post what the library does and how it is better that what is curently available. We don't need to see the code but sell us on it.
    Basically that is why I asked for an usage example.
    If it looks that it can make life easier, then there is a chance to pay for it.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it, A product is 95% innovation, 4% work and 1% marketting.

If dyson wanted to see if his product would work in the market, would he first show compeditors a glimpse of a working model?

Alot of us here would see a few method calls and be able to produce a system that worked in the same way with minimal effort. I would suggest against showing us exactly how the code is used, but an example of how it shortens it.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let's see some usage examples!

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TomB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agreed, you'll need to be able to clearly demonstrate with code examples exactly what advantages it offers before any user would consider buying the library.

As arkinstall suggests, it would be good to see some examples of using standard mysqli functions compared with your library.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

However, I tried to make it clear in my original post that I am not trying to "sell" my product here. I will keep everyone informed as soon as I release my product.

If it is so superior and saves time, couldn't you use it to make more websites per unit time, increasing your revenue to such a point that you can make a business out of that (assuming you aren't doing so already), training up employees to use it and use the whole library to fuel your business?
    This is a very interesting point and I you're partially right. However, I'd rather market this product BEFORE someone else has the same idea.

I don't want to give too many details in here as long as I don't make my library publicly available !

Once again, thanks everyone for your answers and I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I have news (probably a matter of days) ! Stay tuned !

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    The way I see it, A product is 95% innovation, 4% work and 1% marketting.
    If you switch the percentage for innovation and marketing, it's about right for most cases.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenw View Post
    People say sharing is caring but do they build a custom CMS for free just because it is written in php?
    Why yes. Yes I do
    Creativity knows no other restraint than the
    confines of a small mind.
    - Me
    Geekly Humor
    Oh baby! Check out the design patterns on that framework!