SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: If you have tested or started using IE8RC1 moving from IE7, how has it worked?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everything finally works.

1 12.50%
  • It's the same.

1 12.50%
  • It's worse.

0 0%
  • Going back to IE6.

0 0%
  • Continuing to develop in IE7.

1 12.50%
  • Recommending visitors use Mozilla Firefox.

5 62.50%

Thread: IE8RC1 vs IE7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question IE8RC1 vs IE7

We had problems in web page development in IE7 which IE8RC1 appears to have resolved.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Chris

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experienced what exactly?
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why polls?

We just added the "force IE7" header to all of our servers. Fixes IE8 issues good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Experienced what exactly?
    Our issue with IE7 was that PNG's that were to display maps from a GIs application displayed on the screen, but did not print out at all on color printers and on black and white printers they appeared to be smeared.

This was an issue that we did not run into in Mozilla Firefox 3.0.6 or IE6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Why polls?

We just added the "force IE7" header to all of our servers. Fixes IE8 issues good.
    This prompts a statement and a question. The problems we were having were in IE7 and I was just curious how the migration from the older browser has gone for other people as I imagine most replying would not use GIS, so this would provide some idea if there has been other issues. If it has gone smooth, that would be good to know, but if others have had problems that would be of some help as well.

This issue with PNG's has been sporadic as well as I have asked fellow GIS developers at GIS developer meetings.

But how do you add the "force IE7" header for IE8, and was this for IE8RC1?

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with forcing IE8 to use IE7 is you then get blacklisted forever from IE8 compliance mode, which is a bad thing considering IE8 is significantly better with CSS. I've changed all my pages to X-UA IE8 whatever it is, as have all the developers I know.

Of course, then you have IE8 which doesn't act like IE7. But IE7 compliance doesn't act like IE7 either. So now you have IE8/7/almost7/6 to deal with. The horror. The horror.

Chopped Liver bronze trophy imaginekitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come this is in .NET?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    The problem with forcing IE8 to use IE7 is you then get blacklisted forever from IE8 compliance mode, which is a bad thing considering IE8 is significantly better with CSS. I've changed all my pages to X-UA IE8 whatever it is, as have all the developers I know.

Of course, then you have IE8 which doesn't act like IE7. But IE7 compliance doesn't act like IE7 either. So now you have IE8/7/almost7/6 to deal with. The horror. The horror.
    How do you get blacklisted forever? I can remove the header at any time I wish.

Decision was strategic and budgetary--we didn't have the resources to go back and make sure every site played nice in IE8, nevermind fix anything to make them play nice in IE8. Stuff that has been in the can since we have had a solid IE8 RC does work with IE8 (and 7 and 6).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you get blacklisted forever? I can remove the header at any time I wish.
    As I understand it, you will get blacklisted indefinitley even after removing the 'force IE7 Mode' Header, since Compatibility View will remember your preference from the last Header/Tag used. You'll have to use the 'force Standards Mode' Header to trigger a Compatibility View switch.

Decision was strategic and budgetary--we didn't have the resources to go back and make sure every site played nice in IE8, nevermind fix anything to make them play nice in IE8. Stuff that has been in the can since we have had a solid IE8 RC does work with IE8 (and 7 and 6).
    Will you have the strategic and budgetary limitations when IE9 comes out (if IE9 doesn't include an 'IE7 Mode', which I think is very likely it won't)?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, you will get blacklisted indefinitley even after removing the 'force IE7 Mode' Header, since Compatibility View will remember your preference from the last Header/Tag used. You'll have to use the 'force Standards Mode' Header to trigger a Compatibility View switch.
    Gotcha. I'm pretty much in the explict declarations are best school, so we'd probably use the 'force IE8' header.

Will you have the strategic and budgetary limitations when IE9 comes out (if IE9 doesn't include an 'IE7 Mode', which I think is very likely it won't)?
    These days, who knows. But the current policy is to make the new stuff work with IE8, and most of the legacy stuff is slated for a makeover in the next two years, so by the time we get to IE9, we should be good to go. I'd suspect they will leave the "make it work like IE7" framework in, as well as add a "make it work like IE8" option.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE8 doesn't do things much differently than IE7 for me. That being said, I still recommend Fx.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. I'm pretty much in the explict declarations are best school, so we'd probably use the 'force IE8' header.
    Highly recommended.

IE8 doesn't do things much differently than IE7 for me.
    There are significant differences. You just haven't seen them yet. As I said above, IE8 in "IE7 mode" doesn't even act like IE7.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suspect they will leave the "make it work like IE7" framework in, as well as add a "make it work like IE8" option.
    As for the latter, I am almost certain that this will not be the case. Granted, IE8s Standards Mode does include many CSS bugs/spec violations, but not any serious enough to warrant them explicitly porting IE8s rendering engine to IE9; the more likely situation is that they will build on the current Standards Mode rendering engine for IE9

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Highly recommended.

There are significant differences. You just haven't seen them yet. As I said above, IE8 in "IE7 mode" doesn't even act like IE7.
    You are right. I was just adding some new features to my site and noticed they worked in everything I tested but IE 7 and below. Seems like IE8 is a step in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is more protection in IE8 than IE7, plus they have built upon the phishing protection in IE7 with the smartscreen filter, and add protection from malware and phishing. The most important thing you can do today is upgrade your browser.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should also be aware that if you do choose to trigger compatibility mode within IE8 to act like IE7, the compatibility filter does actually have some differences to how IE7 acts so it is almost like a separate trident version on its own with some minor differences and some patches applied. Which is partially why I refer to IE8-Compat as IE 7.5

PS: If you trigger IE7 mode or if people report your website a lot as broken, Microsoft will add your site to their list of “damaged sites” and for users who get the updates (alike to the phishing filter) your website will be defaulted to run in IE7 mode as opposed to IE8 strict. But this can be overcome by forcing the META tag to trigger IE8 Strict whether the end user likes it or not – but this can be a problem if you are not careful how you code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talking about IE is like talking about making crow white.

which is never going to happen.

which is proved by this recent version of the IE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a little while to understand the whole IE7 Compatable Mode vs IE8 Standards.
    Maybe they tried to deny certain features just because a site was designed to render with IE7 in mind. They most probably had a bit of a situation. IE8 is three browsers in one: IE8 Quirks, IE8 in IE7 Compatable and IE8 Standards.

I guess its the results that counts, also IE8 in IE7 will create a few problems that normally work in IE7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    might some of this feature will help ie to come up