SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: In what order does MySQL "bore down"?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • SELECT - WHERE - ORDER - LIMIT

1 25.00%
  • SELECT - ORDER - WHERE - LIMIT

0 0%
  • WHERE - ORDER - LIMIT - SELECT

1 25.00%
  • ORDER - WHERE - LIMIT - SELECT

0 0%
  • WHERE - ORDER - SELECT - LIMIT

1 25.00%
  • something else, please specify

1 25.00%
  • don't know / don't care as long as it works

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How efficient is MySQL - clause precedence

Imagine there's a table with 800,000 rows, with the following query
    SELECT name FROM table WHERE text LIKE 'active' ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 50

In what order does MySQL "bore down"?

Presuming the FROM is first, and also that both the text must be WHEREd and the ids must be ORDERed before they're LIMITed, is the sequence for example

1: SELECT - WHERE - ORDER - LIMIT
    SELECTs all name values
    finds rows WHERE text LIKE active, discards rest
    finds all ids and ORDERs them DESCending
    LIMITs the result set to the first 50

2: SELECT - ORDER - WHERE - LIMIT
    SELECTs all name values

3: WHERE - ORDER - LIMIT - SELECT
    SELECTs all name values

4: ORDER - WHERE - LIMIT - SELECT
    SELECTs all name values

5: WHERE - ORDER - SELECT - LIMIT
    SELECTs all name values

etc. I know what I think would be the most efficient use of resources (example #3), but what does MySQL really do?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL supports any number of pluggable database engines, and each can implement the basic statement types differently. The answer may be different for MyISAM than InnoDB than Falcon or BDB tables.

We know MySQL performs well enough to run some of the top sites on the Web, so you can immediately throw away the obviously poor choices (#2, #4). Sorting is expensive (O(n*log(n)) for n rows is the most efficient possible, which is more than one comparison per row), and you can assume the people working on MySQL have at least some basic algorithms knowledge, so they'll know that filtering the result set before sorting is better than sorting before filtering, when filtering is cheap (O(n)).

And where exactly the SELECT occurs doesn't really matter in performance terms, it's just throwing away some columns from the table returned by the FROM clause, which you correctly assume must be first. So really #1, #3 and #5, are equivalent, in that they have the important steps in the optimal order.. WHERE - ORDER - LIMIT.

But you need those columns from the result set to execute the ORDER BY clause, since you can order on columns not in your SELECT, so SELECT must occur after ORDER BY.

Finally, LIMIT is the last thing to be applied, since it's stupidly simple to code as a break in a loop.

Just an educated guess of course, but the code's available if you want to read it.

--

In terms of your example query:

SELECT name FROM table WHERE text LIKE 'active' ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 50

First, select all columns and rows from "table".

Then, iterate over all rows, and throw out all those not "like 'active'".

Then, sort those rows by the id column.

Then, throw out all columns but name.

Then, buffer rows to the client until 50 iterations, and break.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    OK, so you're saying my example 5 is what MySQL does (in general at least, but it may depend on the database type).

I understand that a LIMIT is easy to perform, but say the "name" field was 5KBs in size. Would it not be more efficient to do the SELECT after the LIMIT and only put 250 KBs into memory rather than put XXXMB into memory and then discard the majority of it? Or does it not actually put anything more than it needs to do to perform the various clauses into memory until last? i.e. It identifies the rows and fields it needs first, and the puts the contents into the result.

If so, that sounds good to me. One of my plugin users was having a db memory problem and I was afraid the mega content of one of the fields might be at fault.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    the general sequence of execution is:

FROM - WHERE - GROUP BY - HAVING - SELECT - ORDER BY

but that's just "in general"

for any specific query, what mysql does can be gleaned from the EXPLAIN

any other speculation is just that -- speculation

so allan, in keeping with the options of your poll, the answer here is "something else" but you were quite close with #3

WHERE - SELECT - ORDER BY - LIMIT
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For some reason when I came across EXPLAIN a while back I thought it was a CL only thing and since I don't have CL access for my host I forgot it. But it does work in PHP and WordPress too. Both EXPLAIN and EXPLAIN EXTENDED gave the same result for the query
    Code:
    SELECT option_name, option_value FROM $wpdb->options WHERE autoload NOT LIKE '%yes%' ORDER BY option_id DESC LIMIT 10
    Code:
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(6) "SIMPLE"
        ["table"]=>
        string(10) "[custom prefix edited out]_options"
        ["type"]=>
        string(5) "index"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        NULL
        ["key"]=>
        string(7) "PRIMARY"
        ["key_len"]=>
        string(2) "78"
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(3) "231"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(11) "Using where"
      }
    }
    Under "using where" the MySQL documentation http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...g-explain.html says
    A WHERE clause is used to restrict which rows to match against the next table or send to the client. Unless you specifically intend to fetch or examine all rows from the table, you may have something wrong in your query if the Extra value is not Using where and the table join type is ALL or index.
    It also says
    The key_len column indicates the length of the key that MySQL decided to use. The length is NULL if the key column says NULL. Note that the value of key_len enables you to determine how many parts of a multiple-part key MySQL actually uses.
    Sorry, maybe I'm just tired but I have no idea how "78" fits in to that.

I'm guessing that all 231 rows are examined, but there's more chance of a real problem with memory to occur in the fetching? And that only the 10 option_value field's content are ever put in memory until at the end?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    all rows in the table are examined because of the WHERE clause

they can only be examined in memory (think about that for a second)

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, I understand, but as I only need to examine the autoload fields (should be only 'yes' or 'no') and the id fields for sorting, But I'm wondering more about the option_value field in the SELECT as that's the problem one (each contains a serialized RSS feed in it's entirety).

More specifically I'm concerned about the autoload != yes rows that have option_names ending with "_ts" (they are either like "RSS_5gty76t" or "RSS_5gty76t_ts) as those are the only ones I need the contents for at this point in the code to get it's timestamp value. So if the contents of the option_value fields are going to excessively burden memory I can use 2 querys and combine the results. But if only the LIMIT amount gets stored there should be no problem as long as the LIMIT is reasonable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is does the SELECT say "flag these field names as the ones we're interested in and fetch the contents after we're done with the query clauses" or "get the content from these now and filter out as we go through the clauses".

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    ...I only need to examine the autoload fields (should be only 'yes' or 'no')
    then why are you doing this --

... WHERE autoload NOT LIKE '%yes%'

what you really want is this --

... WHERE autoload = 'no'

this is more amenable to indexing (note, though, that indexes with a cardinality of 2 are often ignored)

could you please do a SHOW CREATE TABLE for this table, so we can see the datatypes and indexes
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The operative word is should. As there are so many plugin authors and the field isn't an ENUM (varchar 20 for yes or no?, hey, I didn't do it), I can't depend on every one of them following convention. And I don't think WordPress trim()s spaces hence the %s
    Code:
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      array(2) {
        ["Table"]=>
        ["Create Table"]=>
        string(401) "CREATE TABLE `[custom prefix edited out]_options` (
      `option_id` bigint(20) NOT NULL auto_increment,
      `blog_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
      `option_name` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
      `option_value` longtext NOT NULL,
      `autoload` varchar(20) NOT NULL default 'yes',
      PRIMARY KEY  (`option_id`,`blog_id`,`option_name`),
      KEY `option_name` (`option_name`)
    ) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=771 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1"
      }
    }
    EDIT: Looking at the CREATE, I wonder if there's a way to get the cumulative size of the longtext fields into the query instead of "guessing" at what number of rows a memory problem might occur?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    the EXPLAIN makes sense now -- it has to examine all rows, but it chose to do so via the index, thus eliminating the need to do a sort afterwards

what was your question again?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Although most of the plugin's users have not reported a memory problem -- 8.5 K downloads -- only 1 reported problem, It makes sense to me to optimize memory use as best I can and only use as close to the minimum needed rather than simply try to increase the memory limit to accomodate inefficient code.

My history has been a tendency to use inefficient MySQL queries to get an overly broad result set and then use PHP to bang things into shape. Something I'm trying to get away from as I learn more. (eg. I rarely use SELECT * anymore).

Basically what I'm asking is how does MySQL deal with field content during the query execution. I understand that content must be put into memory to be examined (I imagine this memory is more "volatile" and transient).

I was thinking that the contents of the SELECT field are put into memory during execution of the SELECT (which I now realize may not be the case). Hence if SELECT is executed before LIMIT there would be an an unnecessary use of memory dealing with the to-be-discarded longtext option_value field content.

If the SELECT were to be executed last, or the field contents aren't put into memory until the last, then using an appropriate LIMIT will be an adequate solution. If not, then I will need to come up with a better solution.

Also, as I am fairly unfamilliar with MySQL functions, and the full power of what MySQL is capable of, I was wondering if there was a way to LIMIT the result set based on the cumulative size of the longtext fields rather than an arbitrary number used in the hopes it would be sufficient enough to avoid memory issues.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your users are complaining about MySQL memory limits? Or PHP memory limits? Because none of this effects how much memory is used by PHP -- only the final result set is transferred over the connection.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    does it help knowing that mysql automatically stores CLOBs "off the row" i.e. not in the actual table itself?

anyhow, apply your critical analysis to this query:
    Code:
    SELECT o.option_id 
         , o.blog_id   
         , o.option_name
         , o.option_value 
      FROM $wpdb->options AS o
    INNER
      JOIN ( SELECT option_id
                  , blog_id
                  , option_name
               FROM $wpdb->options
              WHERE autoload NOT LIKE '%yes%' 
             ORDER 
                 BY option_id DESC LIMIT 10
           ) AS my10
        ON my10.option_id   = o.option_id  
       AND my10.blog_id     = o.blog_id    
       AND my10.option_name = o.option_name
    it may seem a bit redundant, but i mention those keys in the subquery join because they comprise the PK of the table

what does the EXPLAIN say?
    Last edited by r937; Mar 3, 2009 at 19:06.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It may be more a WordPress problem than a MySQL problem, but I couldn't get that query to run without a syntax error.
    WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'my10.blog_id = o.blog_id my10.option_name = o.option_name' at line 16]
    SELECT o.option_id , o.blog_id , o.option_name , o.option_value FROM [custom prefix edited out]_options AS o INNER JOIN ( SELECT option_id , blog_id , option_name FROM [custom prefix edited out]_options WHERE autoload NOT LIKE '%yes%' ORDER BY option_id DESC LIMIT 10 ) AS my10 ON my10.option_id = o.option_id my10.blog_id = o.blog_id my10.option_name = o.option_name
    The JOIN syntax examples I saw only had 1 ON in them or sequential "JOIN ONs". I tried putting in a couple of commas and wrapping in parentheses, but no go.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    mein gott, i forgot the ANDs -- please see post #13, i edited them in (in blue)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ANDs, I should have thought of trying that, but I'll blame it on my newbishness and the migrane I had. It gives an impressive result
    Code:
    array(10) {
      [0]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "766"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_d583274cae35862c99d3aa61a83bc3c2_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236127770"
      }
      [1]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "765"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_d583274cae35862c99d3aa61a83bc3c2"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(1483) "O:9:"MagpieRSS":17:{s:6:"parser";i:0;s:12:"current_item";a:0:{}s:5:"items";a:1:{i:0;a:6:{s:5:"title";s:48:"There are no plants in blossom on March the 3rd.";s:11:"description";s:77:" The earliest date currently listed is Mar 15, and the latest date is Nov 11 ";s:4:"link";s:35:"http://www.mittineague.com/wild.php";s:8:"category";s:11:"Wildflowers";s:4:"guid";s:35:"Mittineague/Wildflowers/Mar/03/2009";s:7:"summary";s:77:" The earliest date currently listed is Mar 15, and the latest date is Nov 11 ";}}s:7:"channel";a:7:{s:5:"title";s:23:"Mittineague Wildflowers";s:4:"link";s:35:"http://www.mittineague.com/wild.php";s:11:"description";s:36:"Wildflowers that are in blossom now.";s:8:"language";s:5:"en-us";s:7:"pubdate";s:29:"Tue, 03 Mar 2009 00:00:01 PST";s:13:"lastbuilddate";s:29:"Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:49:30 PST";s:7:"tagline";s:36:"Wildflowers that are in blossom now.";}s:9:"textinput";a:0:{}s:5:"image";a:5:{s:5:"title";s:23:"Mittineague Wildflowers";s:3:"url";s:39:"http://www.mittineague.com/img/feed.gif";s:4:"link";s:35:"http://www.mittineague.com/wild.php";s:5:"width";s:2:"90";s:6:"height";s:2:"30";}s:9:"feed_type";s:3:"RSS";s:12:"feed_version";s:3:"2.0";s:5:"stack";a:0:{}s:9:"inchannel";b:0;s:6:"initem";b:0;s:9:"incontent";b:0;s:11:"intextinput";b:0;s:7:"inimage";b:0;s:13:"current_field";s:0:"";s:17:"current_namespace";b:0;s:19:"_CONTENT_CONSTRUCTS";a:6:{i:0;s:7:"content";i:1;s:7:"summary";i:2;s:4:"info";i:3;s:5:"title";i:4;s:7:"tagline";i:5;s:9:"copyright";}}"
      }
      [2]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "742"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_36de12e99ad797f321030c7d4d94851f_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236127772"
      }
      [3]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "741"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_36de12e99ad797f321030c7d4d94851f"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10609) "O:9:"MagpieRSS":17:{s:6:"parser";i:0;s:12:"current_item";a:0:{}s:5:"items";a:50:{i:0;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:21:"Bailout Bank Bio: AIG";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=1889";}i:1;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:57:"GOP leader's earmarks give critics $75M target (The Hill)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2052";}i:2;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:57:"Obama to release new rules on earmarks (Washington Times)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2066";}i:3;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:36:"Byrd tops earmarkers list (Politico)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2069";}i:4;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:65:"Earmarks for Minnesota? Not so much... (Minneapolis Star Tribune)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2070";}i:5;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:46:"Byrd is Bringin Home the Bacon (New York Post)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2071";}i:6;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:69:"Senate ignores McCain, keeps thousands in earmarks (Associated Press)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2072";}i:7;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:54:"McCain Loses Fight Over Earmarks (New York Times Blog)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2073";}i:8;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:71:"Pesky earmarks still in eye of budget storm (Christian Science Monitor)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2074";}i:9;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:54:"$7.7 Billion In Earmarks In 2009 Omnibus Spending Bill";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=1961";}i:10;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:65:"Visclosky's ties to troubled PMA Group run deep (Chicago Tribune)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2031";}i:11;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:65:"Obama will sign spending bill despite earmarks (Associated Press)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2041";}i:12;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:74:"Obama to take on political establishment in budget fight (Leader-Telegram)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2044";}i:13;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:83:"Despite opposing legislation, Oklahoma lawmakers add state projects (The Oklahoman)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2045";}i:14;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:75:"Local groups see projects in federal spending bill (Allentown Morning Call)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2046";}i:15;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:74:"Red flags raised by Rep. Anthony Weiner's 'earmarks' (New York Daily News)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2047";}i:16;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:67:"President Obama to Sign Pork-Laden Omnibus Spending Bill (ABC News)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2048";}i:17;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:54:"TCS Uncovers Biggest Senate Earmarkers (with Database)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2049";}i:18;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:29:"The President's Energy Budget";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2050";}i:19;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:36:"President Cuts Oil and Gas Subsidies";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2051";}i:20;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:67:"Opinion: The Stimulus Bill's Hope for Change (DigitialJournal.com)
    ";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2053";}i:21;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:101:"Perlmutter gives tainted money from defense contractor lobbyist to charity (The Colorado Independent)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2054";}i:22;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:46:"Okla. GOP Votes Against Own Earmarks (KOCO TV)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2055";}i:23;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:59:"Senate considers Omnibus Appropriations Bill  (The Trucker)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2056";}i:24;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:79:"Obama's budget speech relishes rough road ahead (Dowagiac Daily News-Editorial)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2057";}i:25;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:106:"Omnibus Spending Bill: Huge Spending and 9,000 Earmarks Represents Business-as-Usual (Heritage Foundation)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2058";}i:26;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:80:"Southern conservatives like their pork (The Swamp - Tribune's Washington Bureau)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2059";}i:27;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:57:"Watchdog group identifies Huntington 'earmarks' (Newsday)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2060";}i:28;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:55:"Editorial: Just this once (Scripps Howard News Service)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2061";}i:29;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:61:"Earmark tally: Bond 54, McCaskill 0 (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2062";}i:30;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:51:"The Top 10 List of Earmarkers (New York Times Blog)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2063";}i:31;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:69:"Obama beats early retreat on promise to fight pork (Associated Press)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2064";}i:32;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:46:"Senate earmark all stars (Washington Examiner)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2065";}i:33;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:55:"Stimulus Plan May Bring Money To Miami Valley (WHIO TV)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2067";}i:34;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:71:"South Florida wish lists could face test in Congress (The Miami Herald)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2068";}i:35;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:41:"The Economic Cost of War (New York Times)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2032";}i:36;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:55:"Obama's 'change' theme tested again (Los Angeles Times)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2033";}i:37;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:67:"Local projects to get boost from earmarks (Gloucester County Times)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2034";}i:38;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:124:"Congressmen Peter Hoekstra, Vernon Ehlers vote against spending bill with earmarks for their causes (The Grand Rapids Press)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2035";}i:39;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:57:"Tenn. stands to get $190M in budget bill (The Tennessean)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2036";}i:40;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:89:"Spending bill has $15 billion for northeast Wisconsin projects (Wrightstown Post Gazette)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2037";}i:41;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:54:"Republicans spar over earmarks (The Salt Lake Tribune)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2039";}i:42;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:63:"Transcript: Sen. Kyl, Rep. Ryan on 'FOX News Sunday' (Fox News)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2040";}i:43;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:44:"Shays' earmarks live on (Danbury News-Times)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2042";}i:44;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:95:"Sen. Schumer skewers hefty hunk of pork - $750M - for state in '09 budget (New York Daily News)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2043";}i:45;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:62:"President finds the third rail - earmarks (Boston Globe Op-Ed)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2029";}i:46;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:121:"No more earmarks, federal pork, or sacred cows: By any name, this is one funding change the nation needs (NJ.com-Opinion)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2038";}i:47;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:30:"Party pork? (Kansas City Star)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2020";}i:48;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:45:"National Security Spending in the 2010 Budget";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2011";}i:49;a:2:{s:5:"title";s:40:"This is not George Bush's budget (Salon)";s:4:"link";s:80:"http://taxpayer.net/projects.php?action=view&category=&type=Project&proj_id=2014";}}s:7:"channel";a:10:{s:5:"title";s:25:"Taxpayer for Common Sense";s:4:"link";s:27:"http://taxpayer.net/rss.php";s:11:"description";s:25:"Taxpayer for Common Sense";s:8:"language";s:5:"en-us";s:7:"pubdate";s:29:"Tue, 03 Mar 2009 19:49:32 EST";s:13:"lastbuilddate";s:29:"Tue, 03 Mar 2009 19:49:32 EST";s:4:"docs";s:27:"http://vps.taxpayer.net.com";s:14:"managingeditor";s:18:"admin@taxpayer.net";s:9:"webmaster";s:18:"admin@taxpayer.net";s:7:"tagline";s:25:"Taxpayer for Common Sense";}s:9:"textinput";a:0:{}s:5:"image";a:0:{}s:9:"feed_type";s:3:"RSS";s:12:"feed_version";s:3:"2.0";s:5:"stack";a:0:{}s:9:"inchannel";b:0;s:6:"initem";b:0;s:9:"incontent";b:0;s:11:"intextinput";b:0;s:7:"inimage";b:0;s:13:"current_field";s:0:"";s:17:"current_namespace";b:0;s:19:"_CONTENT_CONSTRUCTS";a:6:{i:0;s:7:"content";i:1;s:7:"summary";i:2;s:4:"info";i:3;s:5:"title";i:4;s:7:"tagline";i:5;s:9:"copyright";}}"
      }
      [4]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "739"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_30ca242fbcdc9587702512325ca6fad1_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236127770"
      }
      [5]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "738"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_30ca242fbcdc9587702512325ca6fad1"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(6480) "O:9:"MagpieRSS":17:{s:6:"parser";i:0;s:12:"current_item";a:0:{}s:5:"items";a:7:{i:0;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:33:"Writing a custom Dojo application";s:11:"description";s:284:"Explore the tips, techniques, and pitfalls when developing Web 2.0 and Dojo applications. Learn from the authors' experiences when moving from Object Oriented development techniques to creating a prototype using the Dojo widget and template pattern along with JavaScript/Dojo objects.";s:4:"link";s:81:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-aj-custom20/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:284:"Explore the tips, techniques, and pitfalls when developing Web 2.0 and Dojo applications. Learn from the authors' experiences when moving from Object Oriented development techniques to creating a prototype using the Dojo widget and template pattern along with JavaScript/Dojo objects.";}i:1;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:45:"Debug Java applications remotely with Eclipse";s:11:"description";s:253:"Perform application debugging remotely using the Eclipse built-in remote Java application configuration type. In this article, get real-world examples such as debugging programs on dedicated machines like Web servers, whose services cannot be shut down.";s:4:"link";s:98:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-javadebug/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:253:"Perform application debugging remotely using the Eclipse built-in remote Java application configuration type. In this article, get real-world examples such as debugging programs on dedicated machines like Web servers, whose services cannot be shut down.";}i:2;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:43:"New IBM Business Process Management Journal";s:11:"description";s:246:"In this journal's premier edition, discover how to develop a business event processing application and how to leverage BPM, SOA, and EA to align business and IT. Plus, get answers to some of your common questions about WebSphere Business Modeler.";s:4:"link";s:79:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/bpmjournal/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:246:"In this journal's premier edition, discover how to develop a business event processing application and how to leverage BPM, SOA, and EA to align business and IT. Plus, get answers to some of your common questions about WebSphere Business Modeler.";}i:3;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:68:"Dependency injection with Guice: Testable code with less boilerplate";s:11:"description";s:278:"Get better testing and modularity while taking away the pain of writing your own factories with Guice, Google's open source dependency injection framework for Java development. Take a tour of the most important concepts, which will leave you ready to Guice up your applications.";s:4:"link";s:68:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-guice.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:278:"Get better testing and modularity while taking away the pain of writing your own factories with Guice, Google's open source dependency injection framework for Java development. Take a tour of the most important concepts, which will leave you ready to Guice up your applications.";}i:4;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:68:"XSLT as a language compiler: Use XSLT to produce PostScript from XML";s:11:"description";s:359:"Explore the concept of XSLT as a programming language compiler, specifically as you create an XML facade in front of PostScript, to produce PostScript files from XML documents. Learn about using a stylesheet as an implicit language definition, get the basics of PostScript, and see the layers of abstraction involved in creating an XML-to-PostScript compiler.";s:4:"link";s:78:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xsltcmpil/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:359:"Explore the concept of XSLT as a programming language compiler, specifically as you create an XML facade in front of PostScript, to produce PostScript files from XML documents. Learn about using a stylesheet as an implicit language definition, get the basics of PostScript, and see the layers of abstraction involved in creating an XML-to-PostScript compiler.";}i:5;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:43:"Distributed computing with Linux and Hadoop";s:11:"description";s:211:"You don't have to work for Google to have access to distributed, parallel Web content processing. Hadoop is a reliable framework for rapidly manipulating large amounts of data, and it runs on commodity hardware.";s:4:"link";s:81:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-hadoop/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:211:"You don't have to work for Google to have access to distributed, parallel Web content processing. Hadoop is a reliable framework for rapidly manipulating large amounts of data, and it runs on commodity hardware.";}i:6;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:53:"What's new in PHP V5.3: Closures and lambda functions";s:11:"description";s:253:"Find out how closures and lambda functions make programming easier by letting you define throwaway functions that can be used in different contexts. This article details how useful closures are as a functional programming construct within PHP V5.3 code.";s:4:"link";s:92:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-php-5.3new2/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:7:"summary";s:253:"Find out how closures and lambda functions make programming easier by letting you define throwaway functions that can be used in different contexts. This article details how useful closures are as a functional programming construct within PHP V5.3 code.";}}s:7:"channel";a:7:{s:5:"title";s:18:"IBM developerWorks";s:4:"link";s:58:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";s:11:"description";s:42:"The latest content from IBM developerWorks";s:8:"language";s:5:"en-us";s:9:"copyright";s:36:"Copyright 2003,2005 IBM Corporation.";s:7:"pubdate";s:31:"Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:02:59 -0500";s:7:"tagline";s:42:"The latest content from IBM developerWorks";}s:9:"textinput";a:0:{}s:5:"image";a:3:{s:5:"title";s:18:"IBM developerWorks";s:3:"url";s:52:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/i/dwlogo-small.gif";s:4:"link";s:58:"http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/index.html?ca=drs-tp5008";}s:9:"feed_type";s:3:"RSS";s:12:"feed_version";s:3:"2.0";s:5:"stack";a:0:{}s:9:"inchannel";b:0;s:6:"initem";b:0;s:9:"incontent";b:0;s:11:"intextinput";b:0;s:7:"inimage";b:0;s:13:"current_field";s:0:"";s:17:"current_namespace";b:0;s:19:"_CONTENT_CONSTRUCTS";a:6:{i:0;s:7:"content";i:1;s:7:"summary";i:2;s:4:"info";i:3;s:5:"title";i:4;s:7:"tagline";i:5;s:9:"copyright";}}"
      }
      [6]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "731"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_f1279cef78d158f192efd06218ab4357_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236128779"
      }
      [7]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "730"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_f1279cef78d158f192efd06218ab4357"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(26399) "O:9:"MagpieRSS":17:{s:6:"parser";i:0;s:12:"current_item";a:0:{}s:5:"items";a:20:{i:0;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:87:"ACLU Urges Supreme Court To Deny Motion To Dismiss Al-Marri's Indefinite Detention Case";s:4:"link";s:70:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/38912prs20090303.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:305:"WASHINGTON – The American Civil Liberties Union filed a brief with the Supreme Court today opposing the government's move to dismiss the case against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri as moot. The Supreme Court agreed to hear al-Marri's case in December, and oral arguments are currently scheduled for April 27.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-03-03T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:305:"WASHINGTON – The American Civil Liberties Union filed a brief with the Supreme Court today opposing the government's move to dismiss the case against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri as moot. The Supreme Court agreed to hear al-Marri's case in December, and oral arguments are currently scheduled for April 27.";}i:1;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:82:"House Hearing Spotlights Need For Better Health Services For Immigration Detainees";s:4:"link";s:72:"http://www.aclu.org/immigrants/detention/38908prs20090303.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:389:"WASHINGTON – The Homeland Security Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee will hold a hearing today on health services for immigration detainees in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody. This welcome hearing highlights the need for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to prioritize fixing this broken medical care system in its Fiscal Year 2010 budget.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-03-03T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:389:"WASHINGTON – The Homeland Security Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee will hold a hearing today on health services for immigration detainees in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody. This welcome hearing highlights the need for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to prioritize fixing this broken medical care system in its Fiscal Year 2010 budget.";}i:2;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:71:"Justice Department Releases Bush Administration National Security Memos";s:4:"link";s:68:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general/38891prs20090302.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:489:"NEW YORK - The Justice Department today released nine secret memos and opinions written by the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) that authorized some of the Bush administration's unlawful national security policies, including a memo written by OLC lawyer John Yoo that argued the Fourth Amendment does not apply to military activities inside the United States. Some of the memos are responsive to American Civil Liberties Union lawsuits seeking OLC legal opinions and other government records.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-03-02T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:489:"NEW YORK - The Justice Department today released nine secret memos and opinions written by the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) that authorized some of the Bush administration's unlawful national security policies, including a memo written by OLC lawyer John Yoo that argued the Fourth Amendment does not apply to military activities inside the United States. Some of the memos are responsive to American Civil Liberties Union lawsuits seeking OLC legal opinions and other government records.";}i:3;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:36:"CIA Destroyed 92 Interrogation Tapes";s:4:"link";s:68:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/38872prs20090302.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:553:"NEW YORK – According to a letter filed by the government in court today, the CIA acknowledged it destroyed 92 tapes of interrogations. The admission comes in an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit seeking records of the treatment of prisoners in U.S. custody abroad. In December 2007, the ACLU filed a motion to hold the CIA in contempt for its destruction of videotapes recording the harsh interrogation of prisoners in violation of a court order requiring the agency to produce or identify all the requested records. That motion is still pending.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-03-02T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:553:"NEW YORK – According to a letter filed by the government in court today, the CIA acknowledged it destroyed 92 tapes of interrogations. The admission comes in an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit seeking records of the treatment of prisoners in U.S. custody abroad. In December 2007, the ACLU filed a motion to hold the CIA in contempt for its destruction of videotapes recording the harsh interrogation of prisoners in violation of a court order requiring the agency to produce or identify all the requested records. That motion is still pending.";}i:4;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:64:"Supreme Court Should Hear Illegal Detention Case Of Ali Al-Marri";s:4:"link";s:70:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/38866prs20090227.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:379:"NEW YORK – In its announcement that material support for terrorism charges were filed against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, the Department of Justice today said that its Office of the Solicitor General will be "moving to dismiss al-Marri's pending litigation before the U.S. Supreme Court." The American Civil Liberties Union represents al-Marri in that case, Al-Marri v. Spagone.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-27T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:379:"NEW YORK – In its announcement that material support for terrorism charges were filed against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, the Department of Justice today said that its Office of the Solicitor General will be "moving to dismiss al-Marri's pending litigation before the U.S. Supreme Court." The American Civil Liberties Union represents al-Marri in that case, Al-Marri v. Spagone.";}i:5;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:108:"Government Brings Federal Charges Against ACLU Client Ali Al-Marri, Only "Enemy Combatant" Held On U.S. Soil";s:4:"link";s:70:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/38860prs20090227.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:541:"PEORIA, IL – Federal prosecutors announced criminal charges today against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, the only individual to be designated an "enemy combatant" by the Bush administration being held in military detention on U.S. soil. Al-Marri was indicted in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois and charged with two counts of material support for terrorism. The American Civil Liberties Union represents al-Marri in his case before the U.S. Supreme Court challenging his illegal designation as an "enemy combatant."";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-27T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:541:"PEORIA, IL – Federal prosecutors announced criminal charges today against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, the only individual to be designated an "enemy combatant" by the Bush administration being held in military detention on U.S. soil. Al-Marri was indicted in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois and charged with two counts of material support for terrorism. The American Civil Liberties Union represents al-Marri in his case before the U.S. Supreme Court challenging his illegal designation as an "enemy combatant."";}i:6;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:123:"Designating Non-Profits As Terrorist Organizations Without Due Process Undermines Security And Humanitarian Aid, Say Groups";s:4:"link";s:68:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/discrim/38853prs20090227.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:664:"TOLEDO, OH – Several of the nation's top non-profit humanitarian and philanthropic organizations told a federal court today that the government's authority and conduct in freezing a charity's assets undermines critical humanitarian aid and the government's own anti-terrorism efforts. Grantmakers Without Borders, OMB Watch, the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee and several other organizations made this argument in a friend-of-the-court brief filed in support of due process rights for KindHearts for Charitable Humanitarian Development, Inc. in a case brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of Ohio and several civil rights lawyers.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-27T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:664:"TOLEDO, OH – Several of the nation's top non-profit humanitarian and philanthropic organizations told a federal court today that the government's authority and conduct in freezing a charity's assets undermines critical humanitarian aid and the government's own anti-terrorism efforts. Grantmakers Without Borders, OMB Watch, the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee and several other organizations made this argument in a friend-of-the-court brief filed in support of due process rights for KindHearts for Charitable Humanitarian Development, Inc. in a case brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of Ohio and several civil rights lawyers.";}i:7;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:69:"Obama Administration Initiates Review Of Bush Health Care Denial Rule";s:4:"link";s:74:"http://www.aclu.org/reproductiverights/gen/38859prs20090227.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:458:"WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is initiating a review of an ill-advised Bush administration rule that allows health care workers and facilities to refuse to provide reproductive health care services, even at the expense of patient safety. The rule, pushed through in the waning hours of the Bush administration despite public objection,threatens access to basic reproductive health services, including contraception and counseling for abortion care.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-27T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:458:"WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is initiating a review of an ill-advised Bush administration rule that allows health care workers and facilities to refuse to provide reproductive health care services, even at the expense of patient safety. The rule, pushed through in the waning hours of the Bush administration despite public objection,threatens access to basic reproductive health services, including contraception and counseling for abortion care.";}i:8;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:76:"Senate Intelligence Committee To Investigate CIA Detention And Interrogation";s:4:"link";s:68:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general/38848prs20090227.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:559:"WASHINGTON – Multiple news reports today indicate that the Senate Intelligence Committee will launch an investigation into the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) detention and interrogation programs. The investigation will seek to uncover how the agency was given the authority to establish black site prisons abroad to indefinitely detain individuals, as well as to interrogate them using torture and abuse. The American Civil Liberties Union welcomes the committee’s investigation, and calls for the proceedings and findings to be open to the public.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-27T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:559:"WASHINGTON – Multiple news reports today indicate that the Senate Intelligence Committee will launch an investigation into the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) detention and interrogation programs. The investigation will seek to uncover how the agency was given the authority to establish black site prisons abroad to indefinitely detain individuals, as well as to interrogate them using torture and abuse. The American Civil Liberties Union welcomes the committee’s investigation, and calls for the proceedings and findings to be open to the public.";}i:9;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:84:"State Department Report Reaffirms U.S. Commitment To Human Rights At Home And Abroad";s:4:"link";s:71:"http://www.aclu.org/intlhumanrights/gen/38846prs20090226.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:431:"NEW YORK – The State Department's Human Rights Report for 2008 is an encouraging sign that the Obama administration intends to renew the United States' commitment to protecting and advancing human rights at home and abroad, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. The report, submitted to Congress yesterday, helps fulfill the formal responsibility of the State Department to uphold international human rights standards.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-26T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:431:"NEW YORK – The State Department's Human Rights Report for 2008 is an encouraging sign that the Obama administration intends to renew the United States' commitment to protecting and advancing human rights at home and abroad, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. The report, submitted to Congress yesterday, helps fulfill the formal responsibility of the State Department to uphold international human rights standards.";}i:10;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:111:"Government Preparing Federal Charges Against ACLU Client Ali Al-Marri, Only "Enemy Combatant" Held On U.S. Soil";s:4:"link";s:70:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/38843prs20090226.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:539:"NEW YORK – According to news reports today, federal prosecutors are preparing criminal terrorism charges against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, the only individual to be designated an "enemy combatant" by the Bush administration being held in military detention on U.S. soil. The American Civil Liberties Union represents al-Marri in his case before the U.S. Supreme Court challenging his illegal designation as an "enemy combatant." A criminal indictment would not automatically resolve the issues that are pending before the Supreme Court.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-26T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:539:"NEW YORK – According to news reports today, federal prosecutors are preparing criminal terrorism charges against Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, the only individual to be designated an "enemy combatant" by the Bush administration being held in military detention on U.S. soil. The American Civil Liberties Union represents al-Marri in his case before the U.S. Supreme Court challenging his illegal designation as an "enemy combatant." A criminal indictment would not automatically resolve the issues that are pending before the Supreme Court.";}i:11;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:87:"House Bill Adopts Humane And Enforceable Standards For Immigration Detention Facilities";s:4:"link";s:66:"http://www.aclu.org/immigrants/gen/38847prs20090226.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:787:"WASHINGTON – In the wake of three immigration detainee deaths over the last six months, Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA) introduced legislation today to adopt humane and legally enforceable standards for immigration detention facilities. The need for Congress to pass such legislation is underscored by recent deaths of immigration detainees in Monroe, Louisiana, Farmville, Virginia and Central Falls, Rhode Island. This bill, H.R. 1215, Immigration Oversight and Fairness Act of 2009, provides basic protections for immigration detainees including access to medical care, phones, legal materials, and law libraries. It also ensures protections for unaccompanied children, sexual abuse victims, survivors of torture, families with children and other vulnerable populations.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-26T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:787:"WASHINGTON – In the wake of three immigration detainee deaths over the last six months, Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA) introduced legislation today to adopt humane and legally enforceable standards for immigration detention facilities. The need for Congress to pass such legislation is underscored by recent deaths of immigration detainees in Monroe, Louisiana, Farmville, Virginia and Central Falls, Rhode Island. This bill, H.R. 1215, Immigration Oversight and Fairness Act of 2009, provides basic protections for immigration detainees including access to medical care, phones, legal materials, and law libraries. It also ensures protections for unaccompanied children, sexual abuse victims, survivors of torture, families with children and other vulnerable populations.";}i:12;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:90:"Fusion Center Encourages Improper Investigations Of Lobbying Groups And Anti-War Activists";s:4:"link";s:63:"http://www.aclu.org/privacy/gen/38835prs20090225.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:474:"WASHINGTON – A Texas fusion center’s “Prevention Awareness Bulletin” made public last night is the latest example of inappropriate police intelligence operations targeting political, religious and social activists for investigation. The North Central Texas Fusion System bulletin states that it is “imperative for law enforcement officers to report” the activities of lobbying groups, Muslim civil rights organizations and anti-war protest groups in their areas.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-25T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:474:"WASHINGTON – A Texas fusion center’s “Prevention Awareness Bulletin” made public last night is the latest example of inappropriate police intelligence operations targeting political, religious and social activists for investigation. The North Central Texas Fusion System bulletin states that it is “imperative for law enforcement officers to report” the activities of lobbying groups, Muslim civil rights organizations and anti-war protest groups in their areas.";}i:13;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:106:"Senator Leahy Calls Hearing To Discuss Truth Commission To Investigate Bush Administration Abuses Of Power";s:4:"link";s:68:"http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general/38836prs20090225.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:422:"WASHINGTON – On the Senate floor today, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, announced that his committee will hold a hearing next week to discuss proceeding with a “truth commission” to investigate the abuses of power of the Bush administration. Next week’s hearing will likely focus on how an independent commission could be constituted and the scope of the issues it would examine.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-25T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:422:"WASHINGTON – On the Senate floor today, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, announced that his committee will hold a hearing next week to discuss proceeding with a “truth commission” to investigate the abuses of power of the Bush administration. Next week’s hearing will likely focus on how an independent commission could be constituted and the scope of the issues it would examine.";}i:14;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:92:"Stimulus Funds Should Go To Improving Education For Poor And Minority Communities, Says ACLU";s:4:"link";s:81:"http://www.aclu.org/intlhumanrights/racialjustice/38830prs20090225.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:370:"WASHINGTON – Education funds included in the stimulus bill should be used to further human rights policies in the schools, including programs to close achievement gaps and to improve the quality of education for poor and minority communities across the country, according to a letter the American Civil Liberties Union sent today to Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-25T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:370:"WASHINGTON – Education funds included in the stimulus bill should be used to further human rights policies in the schools, including programs to close achievement gaps and to improve the quality of education for poor and minority communities across the country, according to a letter the American Civil Liberties Union sent today to Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.";}i:15;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:87:"ACLU Files Lawsuit On Behalf Of Wyoming Prisoner Retaliated Against For Reporting Abuse";s:4:"link";s:69:"http://www.aclu.org/racialjustice/gen/38812prs20090224.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:304:"CHEYENNE, WY – The American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of Wyoming today filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a prisoner at the Wyoming State Penitentiary who was forced into solitary confinement for nearly two months in retaliation for reporting the abuse of a fellow prisoner by prison guards.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-24T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:304:"CHEYENNE, WY – The American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of Wyoming today filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a prisoner at the Wyoming State Penitentiary who was forced into solitary confinement for nearly two months in retaliation for reporting the abuse of a fellow prisoner by prison guards.";}i:16;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:64:"ACLU Report Reveals Breakdown In Mississippi Alternative Schools";s:4:"link";s:67:"http://www.aclu.org/crimjustice/juv/38802prs20090224.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:273:"JACKSON, MS – Alternative schools in Mississippi are not adequately helping struggling students to succeed academically, leaving too many of the state's children to drift toward dropout and failure, according to a new American Civil Liberties Union report released today.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-24T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:273:"JACKSON, MS – Alternative schools in Mississippi are not adequately helping struggling students to succeed academically, leaving too many of the state's children to drift toward dropout and failure, according to a new American Civil Liberties Union report released today.";}i:17;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:67:"DHS Head Napolitano To Testify Wednesday In Congress For First Time";s:4:"link";s:63:"http://www.aclu.org/privacy/gen/38811prs20090224.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:594:"WASHINGTON – Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano is scheduled to testify tomorrow before the House Homeland Security Committee as part of the hearing titled, “DHS: The Path Forward.” The American Civil Liberties Union calls on the committee to inquire into the secretary’s views on key DHS policies, where the balance between security and civil liberties was often skewed under the Bush administration. Employment verification (E-Verify) and Real ID are both areas that need thorough revamping in order to respect the constitutional rights of all Americans.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-24T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:594:"WASHINGTON – Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano is scheduled to testify tomorrow before the House Homeland Security Committee as part of the hearing titled, “DHS: The Path Forward.” The American Civil Liberties Union calls on the committee to inquire into the secretary’s views on key DHS policies, where the balance between security and civil liberties was often skewed under the Bush administration. Employment verification (E-Verify) and Real ID are both areas that need thorough revamping in order to respect the constitutional rights of all Americans.";}i:18;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:78:"ACLU Marks Anniversary Of Landmark Student Free Speech Decision With New Video";s:4:"link";s:62:"http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/38789prs20090223.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:491:"NEW YORK – To mark tomorrow's anniversary of Supreme Court case Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District, the American Civil Liberties Union has released a video about one of the latest of many cases in which Tinker was relied upon to uphold students' right to free speech.  Despite the landmark ruling, school officials routinely ignore the rule of law and attempt illegal censorship to this day, especially against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, the ACLU said.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-23T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:491:"NEW YORK – To mark tomorrow's anniversary of Supreme Court case Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District, the American Civil Liberties Union has released a video about one of the latest of many cases in which Tinker was relied upon to uphold students' right to free speech.  Despite the landmark ruling, school officials routinely ignore the rule of law and attempt illegal censorship to this day, especially against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, the ACLU said.";}i:19;a:5:{s:5:"title";s:51:"Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Religious Display Case";s:4:"link";s:64:"http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/38785prs20090223.html?s_src=RSS";s:11:"description";s:662:"WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court today agreed to hear a challenge to a congressional law allowing an eight-foot-tall Latin cross to remain in the Mojave National Preserve by transferring ownership of an acre of land within the preserve to the local chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, which is now defunct. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit agreed with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California that this transfer of federal land did not eliminate the government's endorsement of religion, and thus did not solve the Establishment Clause violation that the lower courts had already found. The government appealed that decision.";s:2:"dc";a:1:{s:4:"date";s:25:"2009-02-23T12:00:00-05:00";}s:7:"summary";s:662:"WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court today agreed to hear a challenge to a congressional law allowing an eight-foot-tall Latin cross to remain in the Mojave National Preserve by transferring ownership of an acre of land within the preserve to the local chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, which is now defunct. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit agreed with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California that this transfer of federal land did not eliminate the government's endorsement of religion, and thus did not solve the Establishment Clause violation that the lower courts had already found. The government appealed that decision.";}}s:7:"channel";a:7:{s:5:"title";s:20:"ACLU online newsroom";s:4:"link";s:39:"http://www.aclu.org/newsroom/index.html";s:11:"description";s:46:"Visit ACLU.org to learn more and get involved.";s:8:"language";s:5:"en-us";s:3:"ttl";s:2:"10";s:9:"generator";s:13:"CrownPeak CMS";s:7:"tagline";s:46:"Visit ACLU.org to learn more and get involved.";}s:9:"textinput";a:0:{}s:5:"image";a:0:{}s:9:"feed_type";s:3:"RSS";s:12:"feed_version";s:3:"2.0";s:5:"stack";a:0:{}s:9:"inchannel";b:0;s:6:"initem";b:0;s:9:"incontent";b:0;s:11:"intextinput";b:0;s:7:"inimage";b:0;s:13:"current_field";s:0:"";s:17:"current_namespace";b:0;s:19:"_CONTENT_CONSTRUCTS";a:6:{i:0;s:7:"content";i:1;s:7:"summary";i:2;s:4:"info";i:3;s:5:"title";i:4;s:7:"tagline";i:5;s:9:"copyright";}}"
      }
      [8]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "729"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_4da1fe5e40834e65d4204c3c87255212_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236127771"
      }
      [9]=>
      array(4) {
        ["option_id"]=>
        string(3) "728"
        ["blog_id"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_4da1fe5e40834e65d4204c3c87255212"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(18083) "O:9:"MagpieRSS":17:{s:6:"parser";i:0;s:12:"current_item";a:0:{}s:5:"items";a:20:{i:0;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:34:"Latest DHCFP Key Indicators Report";s:11:"description";s:377:"Last Friday afternoon, the Division of Health Care Finance and Policy posted their latest quarterly update of the Health Care in Massachusetts: Key Indicators.  This edition contained updates on the number of individuals covered under health reform; cost trends in health insurance premiums; health plan financial performance; and access to health care measures from the [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2477";s:7:"summary";s:377:"Last Friday afternoon, the Division of Health Care Finance and Policy posted their latest quarterly update of the Health Care in Massachusetts: Key Indicators.  This edition contained updates on the number of individuals covered under health reform; cost trends in health insurance premiums; health plan financial performance; and access to health care measures from the [...]";}i:1;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:51:"Mental Health Consultative Services – A BRYT Idea";s:11:"description";s:348:"Since the creation of the Children’s Mental Health Campaign in 2006, a consistent theme that has been heard from parents, teachers, and policy makers is the need for more school resources to give students with mental health needs every opportunity to succeed.  
    On Thursday, representatives Ellen Story and Kay Khan, co-chairs of the Mental [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2460";s:7:"summary";s:348:"Since the creation of the Children’s Mental Health Campaign in 2006, a consistent theme that has been heard from parents, teachers, and policy makers is the need for more school resources to give students with mental health needs every opportunity to succeed.  
    On Thursday, representatives Ellen Story and Kay Khan, co-chairs of the Mental [...]";}i:2;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:22:"Status Quo, Seriously?";s:11:"description";s:355:"David Himmelstein, along with co-authors Rachel Nardin and Steffie Woolhandler, have gotten an awful lot of press this past week.  On February 18th, they released their paper, “Massachusetts’ Plan: A Failed Model for Health Care Reform,” and we’ve seen it reported across media.  Jon Kingsdale, Jon Gruber, and others have rebutted the clear [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2458";s:7:"summary";s:355:"David Himmelstein, along with co-authors Rachel Nardin and Steffie Woolhandler, have gotten an awful lot of press this past week.  On February 18th, they released their paper, “Massachusetts’ Plan: A Failed Model for Health Care Reform,” and we’ve seen it reported across media.  Jon Kingsdale, Jon Gruber, and others have rebutted the clear [...]";}i:3;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:25:"And Then There Were Five?";s:11:"description";s:337:"The Connector Board met on Thursday morning. The Board was updated on the Commonwealth Care FY10 MCO procurement process and presented with data on enrollment, plan design, premiums and the draft Seal of Approval goals for the Commonwealth Choice plans. The big news is the possible addition of a 5th CommCare plan, a joint venture [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2456";s:7:"summary";s:337:"The Connector Board met on Thursday morning. The Board was updated on the Commonwealth Care FY10 MCO procurement process and presented with data on enrollment, plan design, premiums and the draft Seal of Approval goals for the Commonwealth Choice plans. The big news is the possible addition of a 5th CommCare plan, a joint venture [...]";}i:4;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:77:"Shocking! (a pharmaceutical company is accused of fraud and kickbacks, again)";s:11:"description";s:373:"Not that we are surprised, but on Wednesday of this week, the Justice Department charged the drug maker Forest Laboratories with “defrauding the government of millions of dollars by illegally marketing the popular antidepressants Celexa and Lexapro for unapproved uses in children and teenagers.”  Check out the NY Times article for details.
    The complaint alleges [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2454";s:7:"summary";s:373:"Not that we are surprised, but on Wednesday of this week, the Justice Department charged the drug maker Forest Laboratories with “defrauding the government of millions of dollars by illegally marketing the popular antidepressants Celexa and Lexapro for unapproved uses in children and teenagers.”  Check out the NY Times article for details.
    The complaint alleges [...]";}i:5;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:66:"Public Hearings on Chapter 305 Quality Regulations Coming in March";s:11:"description";s:344:"The Department of Public Health will hold two public hearings to gather comment on regulations drafted to fulfill some of the requirements of Chapter 305, last year’s health cost and quality bill.  This earlier HCFA blog post  discusses the presentation of the draft regulations to the Public Health Council at its February meeting. [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2452";s:7:"summary";s:344:"The Department of Public Health will hold two public hearings to gather comment on regulations drafted to fulfill some of the requirements of Chapter 305, last year’s health cost and quality bill.  This earlier HCFA blog post  discusses the presentation of the draft regulations to the Public Health Council at its February meeting. [...]";}i:6;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:59:"Children’s Dental Health Month Garners Statewide Coverage";s:11:"description";s:359:"We know that children’s oral health is an integral part of overall health. In fact, there are serious consequences for ignoring this important part of a child’s healthy development. To ensure that our voices are heard, the Watch Your Mouth campaign along with coalition partners across the state celebrated Children’s Dental Health month this past [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2450";s:7:"summary";s:359:"We know that children’s oral health is an integral part of overall health. In fact, there are serious consequences for ignoring this important part of a child’s healthy development. To ensure that our voices are heard, the Watch Your Mouth campaign along with coalition partners across the state celebrated Children’s Dental Health month this past [...]";}i:7;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:65:"Mass Health Information Technology Council, Meeting 1, the Sequel";s:11:"description";s:325:"An additional meeting of the Health Information Technology Council will be on Thursday, February 26, from 2 - 4, at 1 Ashburton Place, 11th Floor, Matta Conference Room, was added to the schedule because the agenda for the first meeting last week could not be covered in the time allotted. So welcome to Part II!
    Please [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2448";s:7:"summary";s:325:"An additional meeting of the Health Information Technology Council will be on Thursday, February 26, from 2 - 4, at 1 Ashburton Place, 11th Floor, Matta Conference Room, was added to the schedule because the agenda for the first meeting last week could not be covered in the time allotted. So welcome to Part II!
    Please [...]";}i:8;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:91:"If “dropping out is no longer an option” then we need to meet the needs of our students";s:11:"description";s:343:"“And dropping out of high school is no longer an option.  It’s not just quitting on yourself, it’s quitting on your country – and this country needs and values the talents of every American.”
    - President Barak Obama: February 24, 2009
    President Barak Obama’s first address to Congress last night featured calls to action on a [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2444";s:7:"summary";s:343:"“And dropping out of high school is no longer an option.  It’s not just quitting on yourself, it’s quitting on your country – and this country needs and values the talents of every American.”
    - President Barak Obama: February 24, 2009
    President Barak Obama’s first address to Congress last night featured calls to action on a [...]";}i:9;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:32:"Connector Meets Thursday Morning";s:11:"description";s:332:"The Connector Board will meet on Thursday, February 26th from 9:00 – 11:00 am in the 21st floor conference room of One Ashburton Place, Boston. The Board will be updated on the FY10 Commonwealth Care MMCO procurement process and presented with information on the draft Seal of Approval goals and market baseline data for the [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2442";s:7:"summary";s:332:"The Connector Board will meet on Thursday, February 26th from 9:00 – 11:00 am in the 21st floor conference room of One Ashburton Place, Boston. The Board will be updated on the FY10 Commonwealth Care MMCO procurement process and presented with information on the draft Seal of Approval goals and market baseline data for the [...]";}i:10;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:47:"Massachusetts Dental Society’s Call to Action";s:11:"description";s:361:"Last week, the Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS), issued a Call to Action to the residents of the Commonwealth. MDS is an oral health care organization representing 5,000 dentists, and has been working to create a comprehensive plan to improve the oral health of Massachusetts residents by 2013.
    The plan includes divides its goals into three categories. [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2437";s:7:"summary";s:361:"Last week, the Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS), issued a Call to Action to the residents of the Commonwealth. MDS is an oral health care organization representing 5,000 dentists, and has been working to create a comprehensive plan to improve the oral health of Massachusetts residents by 2013.
    The plan includes divides its goals into three categories. [...]";}i:11;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:59:"March 5th is Community Health Worker Day at the State House";s:11:"description";s:348:"The Massachusetts Association of Community Health Workers (MACHW) is hosting a Community Health Worker Advocacy Day at the State House on Thursday, March 5th from 11-3.   
    MACHW will highlight their priority bill, An Act to Certify Community Health Workers in Massachusetts , which seeks to create a board of certification of community health [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2431";s:7:"summary";s:348:"The Massachusetts Association of Community Health Workers (MACHW) is hosting a Community Health Worker Advocacy Day at the State House on Thursday, March 5th from 11-3.   
    MACHW will highlight their priority bill, An Act to Certify Community Health Workers in Massachusetts , which seeks to create a board of certification of community health [...]";}i:12;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:67:"“Why on God’s green earth does it take all that to get help?”";s:11:"description";s:334:"Judith Warner’s piece in the New York Times has lit up the email lists of children’s health advocates.  In the span of less than an hour this morning, several colleagues sent me the article independent of each other.
    Insight into systemic problems often come from the most unlikely places: very few could have ever predicted [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2428";s:7:"summary";s:334:"Judith Warner’s piece in the New York Times has lit up the email lists of children’s health advocates.  In the span of less than an hour this morning, several colleagues sent me the article independent of each other.
    Insight into systemic problems often come from the most unlikely places: very few could have ever predicted [...]";}i:13;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:42:"Health Disparities Council meets Feb. 23rd";s:11:"description";s:185:"The Health Disparities Council will meet on Monday February 23rd from 2pm-4pm.  (100 Cambridge Street, Conference Rooms C and D, Boston). 
    Click here to view the Meeting Agenda (.pdf).
    ";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2424";s:7:"summary";s:185:"The Health Disparities Council will meet on Monday February 23rd from 2pm-4pm.  (100 Cambridge Street, Conference Rooms C and D, Boston). 
    Click here to view the Meeting Agenda (.pdf).
    ";}i:14;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:84:"Payment Reform Boot Camp (Part 1): Payment Reform Commission Soaks Up Payment Models";s:11:"description";s:355:"The Special Commission on Payment Reform held its second meeting on Friday, February 13th  (All of the meeting materials are available here).   The Commission welcomed Rep. Harriet Stanley as the new House appointee.  Guest speakers presented the Commission with in-depth information about medical home models, pay for performance strategies and the [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2419";s:7:"summary";s:355:"The Special Commission on Payment Reform held its second meeting on Friday, February 13th  (All of the meeting materials are available here).   The Commission welcomed Rep. Harriet Stanley as the new House appointee.  Guest speakers presented the Commission with in-depth information about medical home models, pay for performance strategies and the [...]";}i:15;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:122:"Barnstable, Dukes and Nantucket Counties come together to address the region’s most common chronic disease: dental decay";s:11:"description";s:367:"Dental decay remains the most common, chronic disease on Cape Cod. The latest study by the Tri-County Collaborative for Oral Health Excellence finds that 62,000 Cape and Islands residents suffer from untreated dental decay. February is Children’s Dental Health Month and in honor of this important month and issue, the Tri-County Collaborative for Oral Health [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2412";s:7:"summary";s:367:"Dental decay remains the most common, chronic disease on Cape Cod. The latest study by the Tri-County Collaborative for Oral Health Excellence finds that 62,000 Cape and Islands residents suffer from untreated dental decay. February is Children’s Dental Health Month and in honor of this important month and issue, the Tri-County Collaborative for Oral Health [...]";}i:16;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:59:"The drumbeat for Rx and medical device reform gets stronger";s:11:"description";s:353:"Case 1: Mass. Regulates disclosure of industry
    As we discussed here, the Boston Globe recently reported on a medical convention that was pulling out of Boston for a 2015 convention.  The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology pulled out because they say it is difficult to find “sponsorships and to provide education courses under [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2408";s:7:"summary";s:353:"Case 1: Mass. Regulates disclosure of industry
    As we discussed here, the Boston Globe recently reported on a medical convention that was pulling out of Boston for a 2015 convention.  The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology pulled out because they say it is difficult to find “sponsorships and to provide education courses under [...]";}i:17;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:72:"First Meeting of the Massachusetts Health Information Technology Council";s:11:"description";s:344:"The first meeting of the Massachusetts Health Information Technology Council, established in SECTION 4 of Chapter 305, the cost containment law, will take place tomorrow, February 19, from 10 - 11:30, in the Matta Conference Room, 11th floor, 1 Ashburton Place, Boston. (Swearing in of members will take place a little before the start of [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2405";s:7:"summary";s:344:"The first meeting of the Massachusetts Health Information Technology Council, established in SECTION 4 of Chapter 305, the cost containment law, will take place tomorrow, February 19, from 10 - 11:30, in the Matta Conference Room, 11th floor, 1 Ashburton Place, Boston. (Swearing in of members will take place a little before the start of [...]";}i:18;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:41:"Quality and Cost Council Meeting Tomorrow";s:11:"description";s:217:"The Healthcare Quality and Cost Council is meeting on Wednesday, February 18, 1:00-4:00 PM, on the 21st floor at 1 Ashburton Place. When an agenda is sent out, we will post it here.
    Click here to download the agenda.
    ";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2402";s:7:"summary";s:217:"The Healthcare Quality and Cost Council is meeting on Wednesday, February 18, 1:00-4:00 PM, on the 21st floor at 1 Ashburton Place. When an agenda is sent out, we will post it here.
    Click here to download the agenda.
    ";}i:19;a:4:{s:5:"title";s:77:"Federal Stimulus Bill Includes Funding for Comparative Effectiveness Research";s:11:"description";s:339:"As the New York Times reported on Monday the federal stimulus bill includes $1.1 billion for research to compare drugs, medical devices, surgery and other treatments for specific conditions.  The hope is that quality of care will improve and cost will decrease as ineffective treatments are used less often. A RAND study published in [...]";s:4:"link";s:30:"http://blog.hcfama.org/?p=2399";s:7:"summary";s:339:"As the New York Times reported on Monday the federal stimulus bill includes $1.1 billion for research to compare drugs, medical devices, surgery and other treatments for specific conditions.  The hope is that quality of care will improve and cost will decrease as ineffective treatments are used less often. A RAND study published in [...]";}}s:7:"channel";a:7:{s:5:"title";s:14:"A Healthy Blog";s:4:"link";s:22:"http://blog.hcfama.org";s:11:"description";s:58:"The Ultimate Massachusetts Health Care Insider Information";s:13:"lastbuilddate";s:31:"Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:59:22 +0000";s:4:"docs";s:34:"http://backend.userland.com/rss092";s:8:"language";s:2:"en";s:7:"tagline";s:58:"The Ultimate Massachusetts Health Care Insider Information";}s:9:"textinput";a:0:{}s:5:"image";a:0:{}s:9:"feed_type";s:3:"RSS";s:12:"feed_version";s:4:"0.92";s:5:"stack";a:0:{}s:9:"inchannel";b:0;s:6:"initem";b:0;s:9:"incontent";b:0;s:11:"intextinput";b:0;s:7:"inimage";b:0;s:13:"current_field";s:0:"";s:17:"current_namespace";b:0;s:19:"_CONTENT_CONSTRUCTS";a:6:{i:0;s:7:"content";i:1;s:7:"summary";i:2;s:4:"info";i:3;s:5:"title";i:4;s:7:"tagline";i:5;s:9:"copyright";}}"
      }
    }

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As you can see my #10 is the biggest with a string of 18,083 but AFAIK a longtext can hold up to 65K+ (eg. this forums post too long error until I removed this part from the previous)

The error my plugin user got (before I added the ORDER BY option_id DESC LIMIT) was
    Code:
    WordPress database error: [MySQL client ran out of memory] 
    SELECT option_name, option_value FROM *_options WHERE autoload NOT LIKE '%yes%'
    EDIT: Perhaps a solution would be to put the query in a TRY CATCH and let the query fail stepping down the LIMIT until it doesn't. Although it doesn't seem like a good thing to let the db server bog out repeatedly. It would be nice if there was a way to know the size of the result before you tried to get the result (I know, it even sounds ludicrous).

:d'oh: I posted the results of the SELECT not the EXPLAIN
    Code:
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(7) "PRIMARY"
        ["table"]=>
        string(10) ""
        ["type"]=>
        string(3) "ALL"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        NULL
        ["key"]=>
        NULL
        ["key_len"]=>
        NULL
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(2) "10"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(0) ""
      }
      [1]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(7) "PRIMARY"
        ["table"]=>
        string(1) "o"
        ["type"]=>
        string(6) "eq_ref"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        string(19) "PRIMARY,option_name"
        ["key"]=>
        string(7) "PRIMARY"
        ["key_len"]=>
        string(2) "78"
        ["ref"]=>
        string(44) "my10.option_id,my10.blog_id,my10.option_name"
        ["rows"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(0) ""
      }
      [2]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(7) "DERIVED"
        ["table"]=>
        ["type"]=>
        string(5) "index"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        NULL
        ["key"]=>
        string(7) "PRIMARY"
        ["key_len"]=>
        string(2) "78"
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(3) "231"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(11) "Using where"
      }
    }

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think I just had an epiphany moment
    I didn't think of using a JOIN in the query as only 1 table is involved.
    But, as I only need the option_value for the LIKE '%_ts' at this point in the code, I may be able to alter the JOIN query so it doesn't need to deal with the possible memory busters. That would be most efficient

Give me some time to test myself and see how much I have really learned about using JOINs and if I get frustrated enough I'll be back begging for some help with the query, else I'll post what I've managed to come up with.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, I've had fun, but I'm at a bit of a loss. My options table has 13 "rss" paired rows. The contents I need, or more importantly the contents I want to NOT get, are

----------- option_name ---- option_value
    rss_xyz ------- yes -------------- no ----
    rss_xyz_ts ---- yes ------------- yes ----

I was able to craft a query that returns the "_ts" names and values.
    And I was able to craft one that returns both types of "rss_" names.

Great! Uh, no, I can't use FULL OUTER JOIN, MySQL squawks.
    To use UNION, both need 2 columns. I got it to "work" by adding a NULL to the "name only" SELECT, but it seems a bit kludgy.

I have a feeling I need to know how to "nest" one JOIN inside the other, but I couldn't find any examples to guide me and of all my various attempts the best I could come up with is a result set of the "_ts" name/value rows with null/null rows but without the name/novalue rows.

Can you point me in the right direction? Or tell me if I'm trying to do the impossible and I can do the UNION with NULL thing and use PHP to not use the NULL

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    sorry allan, i have no idea what you're doing

what FULL OUTER JOIN do you need? mysql can produce the same results with a UNION
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to explictly NOT get the o_values from the "rss_" rows that aren't timestamps but are the longtext serialized feed content as I don't need them at this point in the code.

I need both types of o_names -- the ones that hold feed content and the ones that hold the timestamp -- and I need the o_value from the timestamp row.

I tried a UNION of 2 derived tables, but as the "o_name only" table only has 1 column, o_names, and the "o_name and o_value LIKE '%_ts' only" table has 2 columns, MySQL complained and I couldn't get it to work without my providing a NULL for the second column.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry, allan, i am still ~so~ lost

you must understand that all i can help you with is SQL -- i just cannot fathom what your data might be like

when you talk about the stuff you don't need, well, my reply is "so don't query it then!!"

as i tried to suggest in my previous post, why don't you show me the FULL OUTER JOIN that you think might help you
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I seem to have solved it by switching the order of my SELECTS it got rid of the ["NULL"] => null thorniness.
    With the query
    Code:
    SELECT ts_opts.option_name
         , ts_opts.option_value
      FROM ( SELECT option_name
                  , option_value
               FROM $wpdb->options
                AND option_name LIKE 'rss\_%\_ts'
           ) AS ts_opts
    UNION
    SELECT non_ts_rss_opts.option_name
         , NULL
      FROM ( SELECT option_name
               FROM $wpdb->options
                AND option_name LIKE 'rss\_%'
                AND option_name NOT LIKE 'rss\_%\_ts'
           ) AS non_ts_rss_opts
    I get
    Code:
    array(26) {
      [0]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_0ff4b43bd116a9d8720d689c80e7dfd4_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195494"
      }
      [1]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_1a5f760f2e2b48827d4974a60857e7c2_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236149854"
      }
      [2]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_30ca242fbcdc9587702512325ca6fad1_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195495"
      }
      [3]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_36de12e99ad797f321030c7d4d94851f_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195497"
      }
      [4]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_4da1fe5e40834e65d4204c3c87255212_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195496"
      }
      [5]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_57bc725ad6568758915363af670fd8bc_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236149854"
      }
      [6]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_867bd5c64f85878d03a060509cd2f92c_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236149853"
      }
      [7]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_a5420c83891a9c88ad2a4f04584a5efc_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236149854"
      }
      [8]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_d583274cae35862c99d3aa61a83bc3c2_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195494"
      }
      [9]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_da4af23aa0ffb8469ab48172f559d246_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195496"
      }
      [10]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_ee3e9074a7c7d83daa213377cade3e1f_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236144513"
      }
      [11]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_f1279cef78d158f192efd06218ab4357_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1236195497"
      }
      [12]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(39) "rss_f15f8d7b97e06d3b31b150a6c32d4654_ts"
        ["option_value"]=>
        string(10) "1235335799"
      }
      [13]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_0ff4b43bd116a9d8720d689c80e7dfd4"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [14]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_1a5f760f2e2b48827d4974a60857e7c2"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [15]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_30ca242fbcdc9587702512325ca6fad1"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [16]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_36de12e99ad797f321030c7d4d94851f"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [17]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_4da1fe5e40834e65d4204c3c87255212"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [18]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_57bc725ad6568758915363af670fd8bc"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [19]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_867bd5c64f85878d03a060509cd2f92c"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [20]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_a5420c83891a9c88ad2a4f04584a5efc"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [21]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_d583274cae35862c99d3aa61a83bc3c2"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [22]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_da4af23aa0ffb8469ab48172f559d246"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [23]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_ee3e9074a7c7d83daa213377cade3e1f"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [24]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_f1279cef78d158f192efd06218ab4357"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
      [25]=>
      array(2) {
        ["option_name"]=>
        string(36) "rss_f15f8d7b97e06d3b31b150a6c32d4654"
        ["option_value"]=>
        NULL
      }
    }
    Which, with the exception of a "sort by o_name" that I can easily do with PHP, looks perfect to me. The EXPLAIN is
    Code:
    array(5) {
      [0]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "1"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(7) "PRIMARY"
        ["table"]=>
        string(10) ""
        ["type"]=>
        string(3) "ALL"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        NULL
        ["key"]=>
        NULL
        ["key_len"]=>
        NULL
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(2) "13"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(0) ""
      }
      [1]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(7) "DERIVED"
        ["table"]=>
        ["type"]=>
        string(5) "range"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        string(11) "option_name"
        ["key"]=>
        string(11) "option_name"
        ["key_len"]=>
        string(2) "66"
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(2) "39"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(11) "Using where"
      }
      [2]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "3"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(5) "UNION"
        ["table"]=>
        string(10) ""
        ["type"]=>
        string(3) "ALL"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        NULL
        ["key"]=>
        NULL
        ["key_len"]=>
        NULL
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(2) "13"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(0) ""
      }
      [3]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(1) "4"
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(7) "DERIVED"
        ["table"]=>
        ["type"]=>
        string(5) "range"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        string(11) "option_name"
        ["key"]=>
        string(11) "option_name"
        ["key_len"]=>
        string(2) "66"
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        string(2) "39"
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(11) "Using where"
      }
      [4]=>
      array(10) {
        ["id"]=>
        NULL
        ["select_type"]=>
        string(12) "UNION RESULT"
        ["table"]=>
        string(10) ""
        ["type"]=>
        string(3) "ALL"
        ["possible_keys"]=>
        NULL
        ["key"]=>
        NULL
        ["key_len"]=>
        NULL
        ["ref"]=>
        NULL
        ["rows"]=>
        NULL
        ["Extra"]=>
        string(0) ""
      }
    }
    Does it look OK to you too?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    any chance you could run both the query and the EXPLAIN outside of php? i can't read that php crap array dump that you posted

if you don't have a general purpose front-end app for mysql, may i recommend HeidiSQL
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague
    with the exception of a "sort by o_name" that I can easily do with PHP
    Easy enough to do with MySQL too

I was waiting for my host's CP to come back online so I could use the live database, but I ended up using my localhost instead so there may be some differences.

phpMyAdmin returns this for the query
    Code:
    option_name				option_value

rss_0ff4b43bd116a9d8720d689c80e7dfd4_ts 1191435402
    rss_17035708c4185666a9e72995186da3ba_ts 1191435403
    rss_1dae9de01fd9faf9e0c709085198b40f_ts 1189142900
    rss_2385ae8054ae220f286d00729eb1d327_ts 1191449146
    rss_297e5ac1b746a3f756ccdc78c86b0f74_ts 1190403343
    rss_35512eb1c430cd09865ac317d4626d4e_ts 1191446462
    rss_5cfb9a167bb2fb1ea8c5320320040b49_ts 1189825099
    rss_81bfb734ac713d036bc6b114ef302f52_ts 1191446461
    rss_867bd5c64f85878d03a060509cd2f92c_ts 1191435403
    rss_8dca4696de0f5bbf27a73def803a4ca5_ts 1191446461
    rss_ba3957edfab3a4132e3b200bf31b85b1_ts 1191446459
    rss_c70c1dbea1b1843e0e141158045cfa34_ts 1190403351
    rss_c93fc11a4e7e1f8263804086fca75585_ts 1190403338
    rss_d9916587eafe795da848087ecc638a46_ts 1190403348
    rss_0ff4b43bd116a9d8720d689c80e7dfd4	NULL
    rss_17035708c4185666a9e72995186da3ba	NULL
    rss_1dae9de01fd9faf9e0c709085198b40f	NULL
    rss_2385ae8054ae220f286d00729eb1d327	NULL
    rss_297e5ac1b746a3f756ccdc78c86b0f74	NULL
    rss_35512eb1c430cd09865ac317d4626d4e	NULL
    rss_5cfb9a167bb2fb1ea8c5320320040b49	NULL
    rss_81bfb734ac713d036bc6b114ef302f52 	NULL
    rss_867bd5c64f85878d03a060509cd2f92c	NULL
    rss_8dca4696de0f5bbf27a73def803a4ca5	NULL
    rss_ba3957edfab3a4132e3b200bf31b85b1	NULL
    rss_c70c1dbea1b1843e0e141158045cfa34	NULL
    rss_c93fc11a4e7e1f8263804086fca75585	NULL
    rss_d9916587eafe795da848087ecc638a46	NULL
    And this for the EXPLAIN
    Code:
    id	select_type	table		type	possible_keys	key		key_len	ref	rows	Extra

1	PRIMARY		<derived2>	ALL	NULL		NULL		NULL	NULL	14
    2	DERIVED		*_options	range	option_name	option_name	64	NULL	41	Using where
    3	UNION		<derived4>	ALL	NULL		NULL		NULL	NULL	14
    4	DERIVED		*_options	range	option_name	option_name	64	NULL	41	Using where
    NULL	UNION RESULT	<union1,3>	ALL	NULL		NULL		NULL	NULL	NULL
    If I add an ORDER BY after the query the results are of course ordered, and the EXPLAIN is the same with the exception that the last 'Extra' says 'Using filesort'

My table is relatively small, but one plugin user reported having a table bloated to 700K+ rows, so I'm a bit concerned about this http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...g-explain.html
    ALL

A full table scan is done for each combination of rows from the previous tables. This is normally not good if the table is the first table not marked const, and usually very bad in all other cases. Normally, you can avoid ALL by adding indexes that allow row retrieval from the table based on constant values or column values from earlier tables.
    I saw that with your previous example query MySQL used the o_id. So even though I don't use them in my code, in the chance that they will help improve performance I'll try tossing them into the mix and see what happens.

EDIT: nada, But I did realize that because option_name LIKE 'rss\_&#37;\_ts' and option_name NOT LIKE 'rss\_%\_ts' make the 2 derivatives mutually exclusive, I can use UNION ALL instead of UNION and save some there. Even though it doesn't change the EXPLAIN results.