User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overheating Computer

HELP!

My Desktop used to idle at around 28 Deg. C, but is currently idleing at more like 45 Deg. C. As soon as I try to do anything to speak off on it (like open Windows Exlporer) SpeedFan screams at me that my computer is over-heating, at times hitting temperaturs close to 70. What can I do about this?

Just to confuse everyone a little, the Intel Desktop Utilities program that came with my desktop currently says that the temperature of the system is 38 Deg C, when SpeedFan says that it is actually 47 Deg C. Which of these two programs should I trust of the other?
    Last edited by dgroves; Mar 2, 2009 at 11:07. Reason: Adding Extra Information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install another fan...Or maybe remove the heatsink from the CPU, place some more thermal grease on it, re-attach it and power it up.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you opened up the case of the PC, is there much dust about, possibly blocking the air flow around the inside of the case? Is it overclocked?
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Have you opened up the case of the PC, is there much dust about, possibly blocking the air flow around the inside of the case? Is it overclocked?

I dust what-so-ever. Overclocked? My motherboard won't let me.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look around for normal heat temperature for your cpu. May need a better cpu cooler and or more case fans. Most do not blow there system free from dust once a year as recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they say 20ish degrees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just ordered a 120mm fan for my computer, should i considor a new heatsink. Any decent ones for a intel 755 socket running a core2duo 2.00 GHz? I dont really want to spend too much, as I dont have much money at all. Like most teenagers really.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If properly installed, the heatsink that came with the processor should be fine. Did you install it yourself? Did you use thermal paste in the right amount?

My room is pretty warm with multiple computers in it, the CPU is normally around 55C, and it's fine. 70s sounds worrying.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgroves View Post
    the Intel Desktop Utilities program that came with my desktop currently says that the temperature of the system is 38 Deg C, when SpeedFan says that it is actually 47 Deg C.
    If we assume both of these programs are accessing the same temperature probe, then one is obviously misinterpreting the provided data.

Remove and reinstall both programs. If they still don't agree, I'd trust an Intel application's opinion of an Intel hardware condition before a third party app.

Also, I'm finding 28C (82.5F for us Yanks) hard to believe, unless by 'idle' you mean 'off'. (ambient plus 1-2C? no way, no how, not with an air cooled heatsink)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you check if SpeedFan is actually correct? sometimes bugs on those software might cause to read the wrong temp... as long as the computer does not shutdown.. I would not worry too much about it
    Nelson Amaya
    Computer Administrator
    Track It

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the temps via the bios if it is able to display them
    Community Team Advisor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think someone may have tampered with your SpeedFan settings and increased the offset value? I am not familiar with that utility however it may have an offset settings where you can contribute for some error in measurements. That would be the only reason why two utilities differ in read outs as they both should be obtaining them from the BIOS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check temperaures via BIOS its the most reliable.

Definetely check for dust again, particularly on the fans themselves. This is where it builds up and sometimes cant be seen.

It would help to know what is overheating in particular. If its your CPU, check the heatsink is placed correctly and you may have to re-apply some thermal paste (available for $5-$10) this helps heat transfer.

Another fan is always helpful, but at idle you shouldnt need it. Even on 40Degree days here in Australia, my computer runs fine and its in the hottest room in the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    If properly installed, the heatsink that came with the processor should be fine. Did you install it yourself? Did you use thermal paste in the right amount?

My room is pretty warm with multiple computers in it, the CPU is normally around 55C, and it's fine. 70s sounds worrying.
    The whole system is a self-build. The thermal paste was pre-applied to the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by rushiku View Post
    If we assume both of these programs are accessing the same temperature probe, then one is obviously misinterpreting the provided data.

Remove and reinstall both programs. If they still don't agree, I'd trust an Intel application's opinion of an Intel hardware condition before a third party app.

Also, I'm finding 28C (82.5F for us Yanks) hard to believe, unless by 'idle' you mean 'off'. (ambient plus 1-2C? no way, no how, not with an air cooled heatsink)
    Done, and no difference! I'll go with the intel one then.

Check the temps via the bios if it is able to display them
    Can't fins temperatures in BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by falsealarm View Post
    Do you think someone may have tampered with your SpeedFan settings and increased the offset value? I am not familiar with that utility however it may have an offset settings where you can contribute for some error in measurements. That would be the only reason why two utilities differ in read outs as they both should be obtaining them from the BIOS.
    No one else has access to my PC so no one can have tempered with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyspam View Post
    Check temperaures via BIOS its the most reliable.

Definetely check for dust again, particularly on the fans themselves. This is where it builds up and sometimes cant be seen.

It would help to know what is overheating in particular. If its your CPU, check the heatsink is placed correctly and you may have to re-apply some thermal paste (available for $5-$10) this helps heat transfer.

Another fan is always helpful, but at idle you shouldnt need it. Even on 40Degree days here in Australia, my computer runs fine and its in the hottest room in the house.
    CPU is overheating in particualr. I will get some new thermal paste from maplins this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes... simply clean your pc with a blower, clean your CPU's heatsink and put a fresh thermal paste. I think it would work..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoaaib View Post
    Yes... simply clean your pc with a blower, clean your CPU's heatsink and put a fresh thermal paste. I think it would work..
    How much thermal paste is required? This is the link to all thermal paste that the shop where i live sells

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Less is more. Your goal is to fill the imperfections on the cpu and heatsink, they aren't very large, therefore a thin, even coat on the cpu is all you need. Apply a dab, then spread it evenly with an old credit card or the like. The pressure from the retaining clip will squish the paste into the crevices on the chip and sink - so no need to apply paste to the sink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do i need to worry about it squirting out of the sides? should I remove the CPU before i apply the thermal paste?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The paste, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't conduct electricity, so any extra that oozes out isn't a problem. Though, I might add, your 'even, thin layer' won't be thick enough to have much squeeze out. (when I say thin, I mean ~0.1 mm)

I usually take the cpu out because it's easier to spread and even the paste, but you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll be (with a bit of luck) getting some new thermal paste tomorrow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates? how's your temp? Check your power supply also, it can also be a factor. Anyways, when your temp is getting to 70, it could be definitely a heatsink problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to maplins yesturday, no thermal paste in stock. I should have some turn-up in the week sometime (i orderd it online)

Strangley it appears to be much cooler when it's booted into Ubuntu, something I hadn't noticed before.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgroves View Post
    Strangley
    That Windows would have higher CPU utilization even when idle wouldn't surprise most.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which version of windows is running on the computer? Vista is quite resource intensive.
    Community Team Advisor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which version of windows is running on the computer? Vista is quite resource intensive.
    Windows XP SP3