Thread: lynda.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lynda.com

Hi,

I am looking to teach myself HTML to begin with and got told lynda.com is a great resource for learning, but I also got told their html course they have on there is a bit out of date, not knowing much about html can anyone confirm this?

Also anyone have experiences with lynda.com, if so what's the verdict?

Thnx

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lynda do have excellent video tutorials and HTML does not get updated that quickly (We are still using 4.01 which has been around for many years). However as far as I am aware Lynda are not free and you would do just as well to checkout the SitePoint reference library, W3Schools or buy a good book on learning HTML.

If you want a book which will explain HTML in an easy and effective Manner that is up-to-date then I would highly recommend HTML Mastery by Paul Haines (Publisher: FriendsOfEd). It was a genuine pleasure to read and has remained my choice for people learning HTML as a starting point book.

Hope the information is helpful

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W3Schools - HTML Tutorial

Do not spend money for Lynda if you can learn all that for free. W3School is all what you need.
    Sorry for my bad English.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thnx, but I do find it easier learning from teaching, either video or tutor led in classroom. And lynda is only $25 a month so isn't too much and I do like the video samples on there and think I would find it easier to learn that way - Of course though I will also buy books to help.

BTW what do people think of this course?

http://www.lsce.co.uk/web_design_cou...Qo1QwodAwRqlg#

I know it's a bit of money but it will familiarize me with everything and I am better with learning in tutor led situations rather then books (Least from the get go until I have a good understanding)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem with educational institutions is their outdated teaching techniques, take that website you posted. They teach use of the marquee, frames and font tags, these are depreciated elements and are considered bad practice. Until educational groups find a way to keep their teaching methods up-to-date rather than spending 6 years waiting to have the newest technology “considered” for teaching, I would avoid learning web design and development in an educational environment. All you will end up with is outdated skills along with being taught bad habits at a large cost and time deficit against you.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    The problem with educational institutions is their outdated teaching techniques, take that website you posted. They teach use of the marquee, frames and font tags, these are depreciated elements and are considered bad practice. Until educational groups find a way to keep their teaching methods up-to-date rather than spending 6 years waiting to have the newest technology “considered” for teaching, I would avoid learning web design and development in an educational environment. All you will end up with is outdated skills along with being taught bad habits at a large cost and time deficit against you.
    So just self teach? Learn the basics and then trial and error of practice and more learning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I found it easy to teach myself because I was really motivated to learn to code for the web. I got myself a good book, printed a copy of the specifications and just started reading and using trial and error as I went. I can say it worked for me, but everyone is different so it’s a choice you will need to make for yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do not even spend a money to learn html it was to easy to learn(depend on your will )

first learn html/css tag from w3schools, then buy a book that teach you how to create website like (Everything You Know About CSS Is Wrong!) it was good book to teach you css layout never try to learn css table layout stuff from that book it was prety suck, then start subscribing site that give you tips or trick about html/css so you'll know all new stuf and trick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also prefer other free tutorials specially with the one from w3school. I have no experience with that lynda.com. But if I can learn something without needing to pay or buy it, It will be a lot better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W3Schools is a good starting guide for you..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lynda makes learning this a lot easier than most other options. You could just read about how to learn html online... but if your beginning i think lynda can hold focus better and you will learn quicker.

(i <3 lynda)

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.

Reading books and tutorials will let you learn at your own speed, with no rush while videos can speed your learning curve. It is easier when someone explains it to you, even if you can't interact and ask questions.

Whatever method you choose, it will be ok.

I am not familiar with lynda.com, but the name is quite known. Is it worth to pay for learning? Of course it is, if the courses are good and if it improves your understanding of the subject. Having said that, there are great tutorials about HTML out there, and fantastic books, and great resources all around. So it is up to you. If you feel more comfortable with a video, then by all means try it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is easier to learn from video tutorials because you actually get to see it in action. Many times, I read the books but end up going to a video tutorial to get exactly what I need. Books can teach you the theories, but tutorials actually show you how it is done. But you have to be careful on which tutorials you choose because some of them are done by students and they have no idea what they are talking about. Good luck

Knowledgeocity