User Tag List

Thread: Ruby? Rails?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby? Rails?

I have heard a lot about Ruby on Rails. I am a php programmer and I don't have much information about. Will you please tell me what is Ruby and what is the meaning of Rails?

Is it necessary for me to learn it? If yes, then how may I learn it?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just said in the other thread you know how to do a Google search. So do one. Type in "ruby" and type in "rails". Or go directly to Wikipedia and read the articles. Why are you asking for definitions of single words that you can look up yourself?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    You just said in the other thread you know how to do a Google search. So do one. Type in "ruby" and type in "rails". Or go directly to Wikipedia and read the articles. Why are you asking for definitions of single words that you can look up yourself?
    I posted this question earlier, now I am searching on google and learning about ruby on rails.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the official site, they've got lots of information, demo's, tutorials etc - it's well worth a look rubyonrails.org/documentation

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rail is a framework of ruby right? So should we learn ruby first or just take a shortcut and learn rail? Stupid question, and I probably already know the answer, but I have the itch to ask!

I think we all need to learn Ruby first before dive in to rail. What you think?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arghagain View Post
    rail is a framework of ruby right? So should we learn ruby first or just take a shortcut and learn rail? Stupid question, and I probably already know the answer, but I have the itch to ask!

I think we all need to learn Ruby first before dive in to rail. What you think?
    You'll definitely want to know some Ruby before trying to use Rails. However, most Rails books or tutorials will give you some basic Ruby knowledge which is enough to get you started.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruby is a powerful object-oriented scripting language, developed in Japan, that is seen by many as a successor that adopted the best of Perl, Python and others. It can be used for "regular" scripts, etc. If you know a little Perl or Python (or PHP, which is similar in syntax to Perl) then it's quite easy to learn. Its functional programming and iterator oriented philosophy, once you get into it, makes going back to another language really hard!

Rails is a Ruby-based infrastructure for web applications that was created by 37signals. It provides a powerful layer above model (view), view (HTML with embedded ruby) and controller (back-end Ruby code) makes developing large web applications very practical.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So should one jump on RoR without starting with ruby first?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest a short Ruby tutorial first. It's important to get familiarized with the language itself before seeing it applied to the Rails framework.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres the best option, buy a beginner rails book as it will introduce Ruby and the rails framework. Also please don't do Rails just because you think its the 'coolest' thing. Use it if you think its a nice framework and Ruby is a nice language.
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's right. To learn rails, it is better to know the basic of ruby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalyn View Post
    So should one jump on RoR without starting with ruby first?
    Good question... I believe many people learn Ruby by following RoR tutorials. But I would recommend to learn to love Ruby before you actually step into Rails. You should learn Ruby as a language and only then use its full blown potential in Rails.

I'd recommend Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby as a start. It's what got me into it.

why’s (poignant) guide to ruby
    Learn about the new Retro Framework
    Code PHP the way it was meant to be coded!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap guys ...Actually u r right..before to go on rail u have to study ruby first..Good luck.