SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Online Audio Editor

    I am planning to develop an online Audio Editor script using PHP/FFMPEG.
    So what you think?

    Any scripts or classes exist that help me?

  2. #2
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am unaware of any scripts which might be able to help you on this matter, but I do like the idea of an online audio editor... There are websites which convert audio between formats so perhaps finding a script which achieves this would be a good starting point.

  3. #3
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend doing this with PHP.

    I think a faster, easier-on-the-server, more usable and altogether more elegant solution would be accomplished with an Applet of some kind (Java, Flash, ActiveX).

    This puts the pressure on the user's computer, makes upload/download less, means that the user sees the results live and, well, you don't end up with a burned out server.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  4. #4
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    arkinstall, well I have heard of (but can't remember) a web based video editor. So if they managed to do it with video, audio should be less server heavy.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I am unaware of any scripts which might be able to help you on this matter, but I do like the idea of an online audio editor... There are websites which convert audio between formats so perhaps finding a script which achieves this would be a good starting point.

    Its easy to convert between formats and video to audio conversion and all.But I need to trim the audio file.Any idea for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    I wouldn't recommend doing this with PHP.

    I think a faster, easier-on-the-server, more usable and altogether more elegant solution would be accomplished with an Applet of some kind (Java, Flash, ActiveX).

    This puts the pressure on the user's computer, makes upload/download less, means that the user sees the results live and, well, you don't end up with a burned out server.
    I am unaware of Java.

    I plan to do it with PHP/FFMPEG/FLASH/XML.

    But any idea how to trim a file?

    My head burns off by thinking....haha

  6. #6
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the documentation
    http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html

    You can control what part of the file you want.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crmalibu View Post
    Read the documentation
    http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html

    You can control what part of the file you want.
    wow thats great.

    So now I get the way to start.

    I need to work lot for this

    Want to load audio to a player in flash.

    But how to cut a part?

    You know the function/command for it?

  8. #8
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time when I watch youtube or some other flash media player/wrapper, it tells me how many seconds into the media I am.

  9. #9
    We're from teh basements.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to what arkinstall said about ActiveX/COM:

    If you plan to run this script on a Windows server, use the COM object to create a WShell for running command line programs. Do not use exec() under Windows. You'll notice a vast speed improvement.

    This topic interests me because I'm about to write a cross-OS PHP-GTK2 desktop application using ffmpeg. Most freeware video conversion programs are simply GUI front ends for ffmpeg with limited functionality. For example, one app might convert AVI to FLV but not handle any other formats. As a consequence, the user ends up installing several redundant copies of ffmpeg for performing different functions. What I want to do is provide an interface to every ffmpeg command line option in one program. I also intend to add file splitting and joining features. I'll share any code I develop for this.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    Adding to what arkinstall said about ActiveX/COM:

    If you plan to run this script on a Windows server, use the COM object to create a WShell for running command line programs. Do not use exec() under Windows. You'll notice a vast speed improvement.

    This topic interests me because I'm about to write a cross-OS PHP-GTK2 desktop application using ffmpeg. Most freeware video conversion programs are simply GUI front ends for ffmpeg with limited functionality. For example, one app might convert AVI to FLV but not handle any other formats. As a consequence, the user ends up installing several redundant copies of ffmpeg for performing different functions. What I want to do is provide an interface to every ffmpeg command line option in one program. I also intend to add file splitting and joining features. I'll share any code I develop for this.
    But buddy, I have written a class before two months using FFMPEG to convert videos to any formats.Its easy I think using FFMPEG.

    I am not familiar with Windows, what I mean is on Linux.

  11. #11
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think live editing would be better...

    In otherwords, scrapping the PHP part of the audio editting altogether and using technologies based on dynamic features, like Java or Flash, solely.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  12. #12
    We're from teh basements.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by priyakochin View Post
    But buddy, I have written a class before two months using FFMPEG to convert videos to any formats.Its easy I think using FFMPEG.

    I am not familiar with Windows, what I mean is on Linux.
    Converting between formats is the most obvious of FFmpeg's capabilities. There is so much more you can do with it. Those little freeware apps barely scratch the surface.

    You would presumably want your app to run on all platforms. My remarks about Windows were intended to address differences in how command line programs should be handled under Windows vs. Unix.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •