SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FireScope for Dreamweaver - what would you like?

Quick precis first - we recently released a developer tool that extends Firebug with reference material for HTML and CSS; info about that here -- http://tools.sitepoint.com/firescope/

Now, we're planning to make a version of this as a dreamweaver extension, so I'm very interested to find out from those of you who use DW regularly what you'd like it to do, and how you'd like it to be integrated.

The idea is that it should provide up to date reference information to aid web development. I see that DW already has reference data built in, but that it's not particularly up to date. Should an extension simply add a new data source to that reference material? Or should it work differently - have its own user interface, or provide more contextual information, such as in context menus in developer and design view panes?

Please let me have your thoughts ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a good idea that it should work differently - have its own user interface, or provide more contextual information, such as in context menus in developer and design view panes?

I think it more helpfull...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah context menu help is good with clicking on the item to open the details in property like dockbar. Also, it should be copy-paste-able with examples etc...
    Khuram Javaid
    PHP Developer and Entrepreneur
    http://www.phprad.com/

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that it is a great tool for FireFox, but while I use it, my main issue comes with the references itself and the lack of examples more than the tool. True, the explanations are easy to understand, and yet, sometimes I wasn't certain what was the best way to use an property or an attribute and there was no example at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I think that it is a great tool for FireFox, but while I use it, my main issue comes with the references itself and the lack of examples more than the tool. True, the explanations are easy to understand, and yet, sometimes I wasn't certain what was the best way to use an property or an attribute and there was no example at all.
    I agree with this. One thing I could also see being very helpful, would be a way to highlight all of that element inside the current HTML document. That way I can see if I have used it correctly or not.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    sometimes I wasn't certain what was the best way to use an property or an attribute and there was no example at all.
    I'm not sure I follow - there'a code example for every attribute, element and property in the reference. Are the examples not enough, is that what you mean? If that's the case then that's something we need to address.

Perhaps you could show me somewhere where you feel something is missing - show me a specific place in the reference, and outline what you'd like to see that isn't there?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pop up contextual menu, that allows you to view mistakes, change mistakes, check new code, and then automatically inputs final change into the dreamweaver code, i.e. get it right before endlessly doing and undoing code to get back to where you started from until you get it right.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the point of too few examples, there are a few places where it's "Hmmm, if I do this what will it do... I'm not quite sure." They are fairly few and far between though. I'll start making notes when I come across them.

As far as the Dreamweaver plugin, first off, that's very exciting. I use the built-in reference tool very frequently and it's a great help, but you're correct that it is not always up to date.

I would like to see it provide better contextual information when you are typing (such as when you add a tag, it lists the required attributes in the context, and when attributes that have limited values like display, to list those possible values).

I'd also like to see it work better with the Ctrl+F1 shortcut (though perhaps give it it's own shortcut). The Dreamweaver one works well enough for HTML and CSS, but when you try to use it for Javascript (even when in a .js file that it says is a Javascript file at the top of the page), it completely fails, so once the Javascript portion of the reference comes out this will be a big plus.

It'd also be nice if it had it's own interface that used something better than big long drop-downs. I'd like to see it have a searchable and perhaps a file tree type selection. If you do a file tree system, I'd still like to have the option to have it list them alphabetically for when I know what I'm looking for. A list box would work well for this.

If I come up with anything else (or if I find any of those example lacks) I'll post in here again.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    I'm not sure I follow - there'a code example for every attribute, element and property in the reference. Are the examples not enough, is that what you mean? If that's the case then that's something we need to address.
    The example that comes to mind the clip property. There is an example there, but it doesn't make clear what the numbers refer to. I mean, I know that I am setting the dimensions of the square and that I am counting pixels from the edges, but it is not easy for a newbie to know how it works and he can feel uncertain about it. You have to re-read it to know which edge they are talking about. So maybe a graphical example of what it does as well as how it's used would improve the explanation.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I would like to see the css classes/ Id highlighted in my css file when i highlight appropriate classes/id in the html file (i can see both files simultaneously in two DW windows), also it would be nice to see the css file structure to enable seeing all css classes and id names at once.

right now i am using DW and Top Style together to have the described above..

Thanks,
    tschlothauer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my point of view, that is very exciting since there are newest things that everyone should know and learned like me....

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys - haven't forgotten about this, just got other things to do first. I'll come back to this in a little while