SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Making a PDF

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a PDF

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever asked, but here goes.

How do I make a PDF? I can make the graphics in Paint.NET but I want to make a brochure split into 3 and I don't know what program(s) to use and a simple Google search hasn't come up with any free tools.

Thank you in advance!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up PrimoPDF. The free version might be what you're looking for.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever asked, but here goes.

How do I make a PDF? I can make the graphics in Paint.NET but I want to make a brochure split into 3 and I don't know what program(s) to use and a simple Google search hasn't come up with any free tools.

Thank you in advance!
    Just search Google for "FREE pdf creator" and you should be able to find plenty. There is a really good one for office 07 but I can't recall the name of it. Goodluck!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use CreatePDF, AllPDF, Solid Converter... and of course, you could always use Acrobat PDF (a bit more expensive, though)

There are plenty of free PDFs available. OpenOffice.org includes its own free pdf creator built in every single program (Write, Calc...)

Addicted to the Source of Life PowerBit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

You say Write Calc is PDF Creator... Do you know how well it works? I have used Open Office and find that it crashes a lot. Your thoughts?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBit View Post
    You say Write Calc is PDF Creator... Do you know how well it works? I have used Open Office and find that it crashes a lot. Your thoughts?
    No, no... no that they are a PDF Creator... but those programs include a PDF creator in them.

You can do it in two ways : Using the PDF button (normally, close to the printers and it reads PDF) or using the File Menu, Export as PDF

I don't know why it crashes so much in your system. Is it the only program that crashes? Does it crash when you are doing something specific (either with OpenOffice or while open and you are using other software)?

If your computer only crashes when you are using OpenOffice, it could be a bad installation. If it crashes when OpenOffice is closed, then it could be something else. If it never happened before but it started recently, it could be that your RAM memory is not working properly and may be damaged.

But there are thousands of reasons, and it is hard to know the real one without more information.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two pdf "writers" right now. I have a trial version of NitroPDF - it works great.

I also have an official plugin from Microsoft Office..it was free if you have a genuine MS Office - problem being it doesn't keep your hyperlinks in PDF. (at least i wasn't able to get it too). I got the blue underlined text, but it wasn't a link.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyP View Post

I also have an official plugin from Microsoft Office.
    I also have this and it is great as it works with everything from publisher to excel & word.