SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP + MySQL or ASP + Access ??

i know little about database. i would like to know which language and database program is better to use if i need to create a webpage and connect to a database. The website will have about 50 ~ 100 visitors daily.

i heard people said Access can only have 5 concurrent connections at a time. i wonder is there anyone out there using Access for dynamic content website ?

looking for advice. thank you !

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it, eiter one of the combinations will do just nicely. Both ASP and PHP are good server-side languages, the difference being that PHP is open source.
    When looking for a webhost, it is my personal experience that a PHP-host can be easier found then an ASP host, since a webserver supporting PHP usually uses cost-free open source software.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    access is suppsadly meant to handle upto 30 concurrent connections... but i'd suggest using SQL server if you want to go the ASP route.

As Mark said, PHP/mySQL hosts are cheaper and more easier to find. Might be a better option...

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently got a client who's got a lot of data and it NEEDS to be in Access databases. I'm not at all familiar with them, and I like using php and mySQL. I tried setting up IIS and php and Access on my windows xp computer here for local testing before putting it on a real webserver, and that was a huge headache, and in the end I was never able to do it.

As far as price, php and mysql is certainly cheaper. I've been looking around for a host, and after reccomendations from people here, I've settled on gearhost.com for $16.95/month. Thats much more than most php/mysql hosts charge.

In fact, I just got my cyberwings.com hosting account set up with 110mb and php/mysql for a whole YEAR for $7.95. I still don't know how that is possible.
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com