SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building twitter-like website

How would you implement texting a web site (to be able to update your status or whatever sending a text message using your cell and to be notified by receiving texts)?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for the Twitter GEM? http://twitter.rubyforge.org/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it doesn't let you use your cell to post tweets, does it? I guess you have to use the third party provider, such as Clickatell and then to handle incoming requests yourself. I have no idea how to take advantage of the command line functionality when it comes to cell phones.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess I misunderstood what you're looking for. AFAIK, the Twitter GEM is for interacting with the Twitter site, not making your site like Twitter.

The SMS_fu plugin http://brendanlim.com/2008/2/28/send...ls-with-sms-fu allows you to send text messages without a gateway server, but if you want your site to receive text messages, you need a "Short Code" (like a type of phone number). For SMS you'll need an SMPP server (yes, such as Clickatell) for your site to connect to.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about how to program it, but about how to receive and send text messages. There are a number of so-called "SMS aggregators" who can interface you with a large number of cellular networks at once (usually via SMPP, which is a simple protocol with many implementations).