Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Databese Design
May 14, 2002, 22:18 #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Miami, Florida - Caracas, Venezuela
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
I wanted to show you the first draft of my first datebase design and get some feedback and sugestions.
I'm no DB expert but read what I can on the subject. I have many questions and rest assured your sugestions will help a lot.
You'll see more or less what I want to do with this DB. I haven't decided on all the features I'll be offering on the site but for starters this is the data that I'm sure I'm going to need.
Please Click Here to see a snapshot of what I have so far. It is a big image so bare with me.
- Is this a reasonable DB structure?
- Can it be optimized?
- Note the project invoice (pInvoice) for example. Is it logical to have a column that references the parent project (pid), parent client (cid), parent user (uid)?
- How far should one go when distributing data into different tables, I know I could also have a table with countries and another table with cities and reference those from the "user" table for example. Is that worth the effort or would I be making it all just that much more complicated?
- I thought having references to paretn objects like uid or cid would speed up and make it simpler to find who a particular, say, invoice belongs to. Is this right?
Thank you all for your time and help.