SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to import site created in Dreamweaver to Wordpress

I have this problem. I have a site with about 500 pages that were done in Dreamweaver MX. It was done manually with all the pages written and updated manually. The site has a very poor design in every sese in terms of the look of the site itself and the way it was created. Basically, the site has about 8 categories. I created a template for each category and then uploaded articles into the relevant categories manually. I even created the ads manually as I created each page.

So, as you can tell, its very time consuming whenever changes need to be made sitewide. If I need to change ads, for example, I would need to change it on each page.

This is just not the right way to go about it, especially in this day and age. I am looking to import the site into Wordpress and have it designed like a site. Can a coder do this pretty easily or would I need to import each page individually. I know the ads can be controlled in a single filke in Wordpress, which I am really looking forward to, but I am talking about the content?

I have various wordpress sites, but this particular site was created around 4 years ago when I was getting into webmastering. I have since switched to Wordpress pretty much for all of my sites.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm We are currently moving our site from HTML --> CMS and have done most of it manually - a lot of copy and paste as well.

That said we have only 20+ pages, not 500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all very do-able. if you want to import them though you would need to find someone who understands these things though. but the simple answer is YES what you want can be done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would do is....

Take your html template and make it a wordpress template.
    In wordpress do a find replace in the folder of all your html files to get rid of code that is not about content... so all that is left is the content of the blog/article.
    Then you have to hand add all of them (sucks!)
    Then you will be on wordpress

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like I will need to do it by hand which is going to be very time consuming. I suppose I might just outsource this to someone as I would rather concentrate on other things.

Addicted to the Source of Life PowerBit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol you have just made my case for a CMS now instead of later. WOW. I hope you get a good solution. Pay them well - they'll deserve it!