User Tag List

Thread: Good Web Design

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Good Web Design

Thanks to Nicky, I will be posting a article about good web design and how everyone can have a nice looking site. I think this came about since, I myself have times when I want a nice clean design without all the fuss with alot of graphics and other things that can clutter a web layout.
    Ian Gordon
    Founder / President&CEO
    Original Hosting Solutions
    http://www.originalhost.biz

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly are you asking for in this thread? DO you want ideas from members?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I would like input from members, as to what issues they would like me to address in an article, sorry if I was vague in the above post.
    Ian Gordon
    Founder / President&CEO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your articles depend on what subject your site is all about...of course!
    generally,you would be able to attract more visitors if your articles relate to them and are practical and realistic,written in a simple manner.and yes,don't forget to use humour!
    does that help?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I will gather some more information and start a draft of that article.
    Ian Gordon
    Founder / President&CEO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

helpfull ?

It's something that you hear everywhere but some people don't seem to get it ( even socalled pro-sites )
    what i'm talking about ? The website COLORS.

I've seen sites that supposed to be all that but when you take a look at their colorsheme there are quite a few DO NOT'S in it.
    People should realise that colors can make or break a design even when the design itself is excellent.

I would tell people to avoid colors with a high hue and ceratinly the combination of ceveral high hue colors.
    Also color-contrast is very important , wich does not maen you have to put a fluorisating green link on a black background ( in most cases) cause that's just bad taste.

IMHO a descent website has 3 colors ( you can still make them a bit lighter or darker ) that's not gonna mess up the design most of the time)
    It's putting things like yellow on a black cellbackground and then make the border , blue and the main background red. ( trust me there are a lot of those site out there )

To continue on the contrast issue, putting a yellow link on a light orange bg is bad for the simple reason that 50% of the sites visitors might mis the link and move on to "better" sites.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Make it as easy as possible for your visitors to "absorbe" the info you provide.
    With this i mean , don't put a 500 words-counting text in one big chunk on your page.

Use paragraphs !! It will make it easyer for
    1) your visitors to read and
    2) you if you often have to change little pieces of text.

Hehe it's strange that these things can seem so obvious for one and be an "obstacle" for others.

You probably know all these things and many if not all have been in other articles but like i said you really have to repeat some things 100 times before they understand.

I hope this can help a bit. Siltrince