User Tag List

Thread: Ie6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ie6

Hi

I was wondering whether or not to optimise page designs on ecommerce sites for IE6 or not now? I like to use .png images but have steered back to jpg's due to issues with IE6.

What do you think?
    Jake
    Water is both ordered and flexible at the same time.

Buy Fire Extinguisers Online

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that you had heard these png/ie myths and made wrong decision based on lack of understanding of the PNG format usage.
    I'd recommend reading this thread - Is Using PNG Files Common?

Both formats (PNG and JPG) serve different purposes and one cannot be used as an equal replacement for the other one. If done this way, it means that part of the images would be saved in wrong format (ie. photos as large PNGs or icons/web elements as JPGs).

I strongly doubt that you need the 32-bit PNG format for your site, which means that you will not have ANY problems with 8-bit PNGs in IE6.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as I am aware, the only issues between IE6 and PNG’s are the result of alpha transparency being applied (and this can be overcome with the helix fix).

Both formats (PNG and JPG) serve different purposes and one cannot be used as an equal replacement for the other one. If done this way, it means that part of the images would be saved in wrong format (ie. photos as large PNGs or icons/web elements as JPGs).
    This comment makes no sense whatsoever. PNG and JPEG’s do not serve different purposes; they serve a single purpose which is to offer a way of rendering and saving images with various levels of compression. The only difference between them is their functionality support, levels of compression and of course the amount of degrading the image will suffer as a result of using the specific format. And for the record: I have on many occasions been able to save a large image as a PNG file and get better file sizes for the quality of the image as a result over using the very lossy and pixelated JPEG format. It is all about customising the settings to get the best compromise.

There is no such thing as a wrong format for an image, it all matters on what you are trying to do, you really should not stereotype formats for particular tasks (unless only a single format is capable of the task for the purpose – for example animated GIF’s).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    There is no such thing as a wrong format for an image, it all matters on what you are trying to do (...)
    I can't agree with you here. If a designer uses these image formats in a wrong way, the result would be a lowered layout quality. For example if a black-on-white-text headings were saved in JPG format, they'd be not only heavier than PNGs, but also of a much lower qualit because of the JPG's compression artifacts. I've seen many examples of such an image format misuse.

This comment makes no sense whatsoever. PNG and JPEG’s do not serve different purposes
    OK, maybe "purposes" was too general. "They should be used for different imagery types" would be a better statement.

(...) I have on many occasions been able to save a large image as a PNG file and get better file sizes for the quality of the image as a result over using the very lossy and pixelated JPEG format. (...)
    And now you agree with me, that you should always use the proper image format. You even give a similar example too
    I don't say a large image shouldn't be saved as PNG. I only say that a large size PHOTO will be most likely much heavier is saved as PNG.
    Last edited by Varelse; Feb 26, 2009 at 15:22. Reason: typo fixed

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But this depends entirely not particularly on the format you use but the way you save it (as in how many colors, level of compression, quality level, density of tones, and other variables). It is just too general to pick certain formats for certain types of image (which is what I intended to say). Simply put, you should try saving each image into a variety of formats with different quality levels and settings until you reach the desired file size against quality level.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What I want to say is that based on one's experience, it's easy to determine which format to use for a particular image. And there are image types that you can be sure will produce much worse results even without trying different export/save options. So for an experienced designer it's not a tough task to tell which format to use without the save-and-try process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the advice guys, its much appreciated.
    Jake
    Water is both ordered and flexible at the same time.

Buy Fire Extinguisers Online