SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is your website merged with your blog or is your blog in a sub directory?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • My website is merged with my blog

8 44.44%
  • My blog is in a sub directory same design as my site.

7 38.89%
  • My blog is in a sub directory different design than my site.

3 16.67%
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Whole website in wordpress or blog in sub directory?

I'm trying to decide whether to drop my web pages into my website blog or leave my blog in a sub directory. Which do you prefer?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like to do the whole site in WP (easier to manage for me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are considering for fully blogging on your site, then that's recommended.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdamin76 View Post
    If you are considering for fully blogging on your site, then that's recommended.
    I'm not considering fully blogging my site. I have static pages and a blog. My question is whether to integrate the static pages into the blog or leave them "as is" and keep the blog in a sub-domain.
    Linda Jenkinson

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    I'm not considering fully blogging my site. I have static pages and a blog. My question is whether to integrate the static pages into the blog or leave them "as is" and keep the blog in a sub-domain.
    Sub-domain or sub-directory?

I wouldn't recommend a sub-domain for SEO reasons. Links to the blog on a sub-domain wouldn't necessarily pass "trust" to the main domain.

So I'd integrate the static pages and keep everything on the main domain.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Sub-domain or sub-directory?

I wouldn't recommend a sub-domain for SEO reasons. Links to the blog on a sub-domain wouldn't necessarily pass "trust" to the main domain.

So I'd integrate the static pages and keep everything on the main domain.
    Here's what I mean. My http://mysite.com or http://mysite/blog.com.

Right now it's the latter. However, there are some good reasons for doing it the other way. I'm just wondering if 1)the permalinks will screw up what little search engine position (not much, I haven't worked on optimizing for awhile) I already have.

2)Will I have to redirect all the old static page links to the permalinks?

On the other hand, the urls will look much better and be more memorable as "mysite.com/about/" than mysite.com/about.php (as they are now) and page revisions will be much easier to do in the cms-like platform than hand coding each one. It will also be easier to add new pages as I expand my business.

I believe the site would be more fluid as one site. The pros are many but...

The question remains, will my site take on the look of a blogger that has just added static pages to her blog or will visitors view it as a business web site with a blog?
    Linda Jenkinson

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Here's what I mean. My http://mysite.com or http://mysite/blog.com.
    Ok, so sub-directory so you can ignore my advice above lol

Right now it's the latter. However, there are some good reasons for doing it the other way. I'm just wondering if 1)the permalinks will screw up what little search engine position (not much, I haven't worked on optimizing for awhile) I already have.
    Not if you redirect from the old pages to the new ones.

2)Will I have to redirect all the old static page links to the permalinks?
    I would.

On the other hand, the urls will look much better and be more memorable as "mysite.com/about/" than mysite.com/about.php (as they are now) and page revisions will be much easier to do in the cms-like platform than hand coding each one. It will also be easier to add new pages as I expand my business.
    I really wouldn't worry about what the urls look like, people click links, they don't look at urls (except web developers).

The question remains, will my site take on the look of a blogger that has just added static pages to her blog or will visitors view it as a business web site with a blog?
    I think that will depend to a large extent on your template and your business demographic. I think the ease of updating will outweigh any short-term disadvantages that may come up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a subdirectory for my photography page that I will use to promote my abilities and for potential customers of mine to see my prior work. The main site is built on wordpress though.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would better prefer a sub directory for blog, if you integrate your website in wordpress it won;t give you much more professional look what you need for your website.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would depend on whether your entire site can be integrated with WordPress, or it you will be building additional pages yourself/other software. If WordPress is all that you will be using then you have answered the question for yourself, if not bet the site structure sorted from the start as opposed to having to redirect pages at a later date.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by web development View Post
    I would better prefer a sub directory for blog, if you integrate your website in wordpress it won;t give you much more professional look what you need for your website.
    Why is that? If you design your own template, the look is just a look. Can you be sure that many of the static pages you see on the web aren't designed in WordPress or some type of CMS platform?
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by web development View Post
    I don't agree with this. It took me awhile but I have finally come around to CMS.

It can easily look just as professional as an HTML site, in fact I find it easier to build a pro looking CMS site as opposed to HTML.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should definitely put WP in your main directory, as you can still create completely customizable static pages. All you have to do is them add them in through the WP CP.

You can always place a sub-directory for additional content. My main site is a WP install, then i use /forums for my vB install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to use wordpress with a nice skin for the main site. You can get a plenty professional look with some of the skins out there(so normal users can't even tell its wordpress), and really good on page seo with their plugins. And their content management system is so nice that it makes updating your site very easy.
    Game Website Builder - Start Your Own Money Making Game Website
    Blogging For Money - Learn Profit Blogging
    Web Traffic Academy - Learn How To Get More Web Traffic

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest, on the root domain set up the main site and then on sub directory setup your blog. This is very very effective for getting better search engine traffic to your blog as well as the root domain page. I use the same strategy too. Trust me.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    After reading the comments here and weighing the advantages and disadvantages, I've decided to integrate my whole site into Word Press.

Thanks to everyone who responded!
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've reopened the poll. It was silly to put an expiration date on it. I'm most interested in your opinion! Please vote!
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can create any sites you want with wordpress, thanks to easy theme system and plugins. I already created a blog directory, a real estate site, link dump site and more with Wordpress.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole site, WP can also be used as a CMS, rather than only for blogging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also opt for doing everything in WP, the CMS works a treat and you can have static pages with whatever look and feel and still have the blog next to it :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, I use wordpress as a CMS and run the whole site from it. The reasons why I prefer this are:-

a) Familiarity (for me) - I am familiar with wordpress, so when I have a new page, I already have the template created & when the page is finished, it's automatically added to the page listings etc.

b) Familiarity (for other people) - I run a few sites for people who aren't that proficient with HTML. After half an hour etc of showing them the ropes, they can create a site/pages/news page instantly.

c) Only one place to skin - Say if I change the site design, I only need to reskin wordpress, rather than HTML files AND wordpress.

The only 2 downsides are that I haven't figured out how to have all the blog posts (rather than the pages) as http://www.mydomain.com/news/2009/02/post-title/, instead of http://www.mydomain.com/2009/02/post-title/. Would be great if I can do that, as I can target the "News" page (which would be http://www.mydomain.com/news/) for campaigns etc.

The second is you have to be switched on when creating pages, disabling comments and trackbacks. However it's not hugely troublesome should your template pages (pages.php) not even have the comment code in there.