User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I move to Zend Framework?

hi site point friends..

I was interested in zend framework which is better for OOP based development. I am searching tutorials.. I cannot find a proper one to start. eventually I found a better one in IBM. Ooooooooooop!.. the code did not work with my Zend installation.. I searched in GOogle and found that framework version is different. banghead!!!

I have some big doubt in this. followed the zend forum.. no reply since 24 hours.

if anyone here in sitepoint love zend.. please reply me.. I have to clear some of my doubt before moving to Zend..

Web Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah… but what’s your question?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you dear for joining with me.
    I went through an IBM tutorial about zend. Bad luck!!.. not working.. Version problem. IBM tutorial was older.

suppose I developed a large application and some time I upgraded to new version of zend framework.. What will happen. Will I need to upgrade my code?

Can you suggest me is it better to move to zend or any other ideas.. please..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firebladeiii View Post
    Thank you dear for joining with me.
    I went through an IBM tutorial about zend. Bad luck!!.. not working.. Version problem. IBM tutorial was older.

suppose I developed a large application and some time I upgraded to new version of zend framework.. What will happen. Will I need to upgrade my code?

Can you suggest me is it better to move to zend or any other ideas.. please..
    Fireblade,
    For good beginners tutorials on Zend Framework, the quickstart guide on the zend framework web site will give you a good look at the very basics. Also, you can check out Matthew Weier O'Phinney's "Phly Boy Phly" (weierophinney.net/matthew) Blog, the Akrabat (akrabat.com/category/zend-framework) site of Rob Allen, Padraic Brady's "Maugrim, The Reaper" Blog (blog.astrumfutura.com), Zend's Devzone (devzone.zend.com), or Andrea Belvedere's "Coding, Life" Blog (andreabelvedere.com/coding). I hope these help. I am probably going to start my own blog on ZF soon, as well.
    As for your second question, no, you should not need to change your code. Only your bootstrap file to tell it where to find the zend libraries.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awsome reply falcondfw..
    thanks for that.

btw, what can n you suggest me? Should I move to zend? I heard about CodeIgniter too. I know Zend is a more powerful one than CodeIgniter. If you could, please give me a comparison where I should use normal PHP and Zend Library in the environment of Professional web Application and just Web sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firebladeiii View Post
    awsome reply falcondfw..
    thanks for that.

btw, what can n you suggest me? Should I move to zend? I heard about CodeIgniter too. I know Zend is a more powerful one than CodeIgniter. If you could, please give me a comparison where I should use normal PHP and Zend Library in the environment of Professional web Application and just Web sites.
    Fireblade,
    NP. Glad I could help.
    I am definitely not an expert on ZF. I have done one enterprise site in it, am leading another enterprise site in it now, and am programming 3 smaller sites in it now.
    I am a Zend enthusiast, but I do have my eyes open. It has only been GA since mid-2007 (if I remember right), so there are bound to be bugs. And there are. There are some that will make you scratch your head and say "Now why did they do it that way?". There are some that will make you beat your head against a wall. lol. However, they are good about fixing bugs and adding new features very quickly, which is always a good sign. And, the fact that they have the backing of Zend and the money of IBM behind the framework means it is not going to disappear soon.
    As for a comparison, I can only give a limited one. Symfony did not impress me. It has far fewer features than either ZF or Cake. Cake impressed me with its features, but it is a "full stack" solution and forces you to use the entire framework. Zend is a "glue solution", which means you can pick and choose the pieces (for the most part) that you want to use. You can even use Zend classes from within another framework, if you want. I did not look into CodeIgniter, because I had heard it is fine for smaller sites, but not really that good for an enterprise site. And I mostly deal with enterprise sites.
    As for when to use "normal" PHP, I would never recommend it. The reason I would not is I am an OO Developer (21+yrs. C++, 3+ yrs. Java) and am a purist. That being said, we have had to use "normal" PHP to work around the occassional bug in ZF. We also make extensive use of the SPL (Standard PHP Library) Collection Classes, because Zend has nothing like it in the framework.
    I hope all this helps.
    Last edited by falcondfw; Feb 25, 2009 at 00:15. Reason: changed wording

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you falcondfw. it was really helpful.
    So.. I have to move. I feel very bad when using PHP and HTMLs mixed together like a juice. Thats why I decided first some how I want to go in to OOP. any way I believe zend will well suite to me.
    here are some that will make you scratch your head and say "Now why did they do it that way?". There are some that will make you beat your head against a wall. lol. However, they are good about fixing bugs and adding new features very quickly, which is always a good sign. And, the fact that they have the backing of Zend and the money of IBM behind the framework means it is not going to disappear soon.
    yap, its a good sign. It has the strength to live loong.

thnx