SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Event Calendar and Sign Up Functionality?

I'm building a site for a non-profit with essentially no money for software or services. They need a calendar to list events, sometimes more than 1 per day. The calendar should have month, week, and day views. The tricky part is they want a site visitor to be able to click on a particular event, be taken to a sign up page, provide some info, and have that info go into some kind of repository (db or otherwise).

I could certainly use something like Google Calendar (although including href's is a bit clunky and not reliable) to enter and display events. And I can use services like WuFoo or FormAssembly to build beautiful forms I can embed in their site. But I don't want to have to build a new and separate registration form for every single event. I'd prefer to have a "generic" registration form that somehow pre-populates a hidden field indicating *which* event it's for.

I've looked into CalendarWiz and WildApricot. The former is great on the calendar / event management part, but weak on the sign up part. The latter is great on sign up and registration management, OK on the calendar part, but pricey overall. I've gotten recommendations to use various plug-ins for Drupal or Joomla, but the site is mostly already built and I don't want to convert it to a CMS at this point.

Does anyone know of a low-cost (<US$10/month) or free solution? It seems like all the pieces I need exist, but no one's put them together in the way I need them to work yet.

Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also recommend using a CMS module solution but bear with me.

How about putting the CMS into its own directory and only using it for the calendaring features? Sure you won't be using all of the features included in the CMS but it doesn't really matter as long and you sort out your navigation to navigate to and from that section as needed for calendaring features.

I can't think of any other reasonable way to go and I have in fact used a CMS specifically for one of the modules it contained, linking to and from as needed.

Good luck!
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually hold the bus.... Check out this place: http://www.helioscalendar.com/

The offer a service and I think it's an annual cost thing. It should fit the bill and as I recall they were really helpful with questions.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development