User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good explorer replacement

hi,

do you know any good Windows explorer replacement? When I'm copying a lot of files, even whole hard disks am a bit tired of getting that messages telling archive is in use or that name is too long or things like that, stopping a copy that could take hours or days, without giving an alternative.

If you know some tool to help in that taks, please let me know your experience.

Thanks
    Jose

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use altap salamander at work, and it does it jobs well.
    http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/index.html

Otherwise, you can consider http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi tripy,

I know there is a lot of explorer replacement tools, but do you know any allowing continue copy process? In the same way you can do a rar with WinRar and it doesn't stops if found issues with any file.

Thanks for your help
    Jose

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm not aware of anything like that.
    But why would you want to continue the transfer if the file is corrupt ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't talk about corrupted files, but maybe I didn't explain much well. Let me try again. When you copy HD contents to a new one, you can get a lot of warnings stopping copy process: files in use, long file names, files and/or directories already copied, ... There are smart tools like WinRar only ask you one time if you like to overwritte everything and taking note of any file in use or couldn't be copied and tools like Windows Explorer.

When you are doing a copy that could take a lot of time, whole nights and you found that kind of messages in the morning and the process stopped are not good news.

Thanks
    Jose

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, right..
    Sorry, but I never had this issue. And I cannot test ir, as my work pc is restricted. I have only read right in everything except my home drive, which is rather small

But seeing how altap salamander does almost everything better than windows, surely it allows you to continue in such cases.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you are using Windows XP, or Windows Vista. Either way using a different explorer option is not going to work. Instead what you want to do is use Shadow Copy, it allows you to make copies of open files. That is how Windows Backup works.

This link may help you: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-file-bac.aspx

If you were using Windows Vista, all the file operations continue, it will skip the ones it cannot move or mess with and save the dialog at the end to either Skip, Try Again, or Cancel which cancels everything.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea! I will use a backup tool, like Cobian its very good to copy files as is.

Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    I assume you are using Windows XP, or Windows Vista. Either way using a different explorer option is not going to work. Instead what you want to do is use Shadow Copy, it allows you to make copies of open files. That is how Windows Backup works.

Thanks for your help!!
    Jose