User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can we stop people copying videos from our website

Hello,

How can we stop people copying videos from our website is it possible using PHP?
    Plz do revert back ASAP.

Thanks,
    Revathi Srikrishna

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it with Apache.
    Creativity knows no other restraint than the
    confines of a small mind.
    - Me
    Geekly Humor
    Oh baby! Check out the design patterns on that framework!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do u mean by copying videos? U mean download videos. What kind of videos (avi, flc,wmv) are this? Other way is that is to have a pseudo link which could be used only once.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not easy.

Your best approach would be to have a Java/Flash/ActiveX applet to fetch and play the videos from a private location, so that videos could only be accessed by that location. The applet could be programmed into working only on your site etc.

@Uniqueumang - It's a good idea, but with major flaws. If it could only be used once, then refreshing wouldn't work, SEO would be terrible and, ontop of everything, it could be downloaded once.

If you're using a built-into-the-browser approach, like showing it though Media Player or something like that, then a cache of it will be downloaded to the users' computers anyway, and it's not that hard to find.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can require people to register in order to access your videos. That wouldn't solve yor problem 100% but most of scraping could be avoided.

Or what others said above is even better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    It's not easy.

Your best approach would be to have a Java/Flash/ActiveX applet to fetch and play the videos from a private location, so that videos could only be accessed by that location. The applet could be programmed into working only on your site etc.

@Uniqueumang - It's a good idea, but with major flaws. If it could only be used once, then refreshing wouldn't work, SEO would be terrible and, ontop of everything, it could be downloaded once.

If you're using a built-into-the-browser approach, like showing it though Media Player or something like that, then a cache of it will be downloaded to the users' computers anyway, and it's not that hard to find.
    I have IDM installed on my laptop, and guess what? Every mp3,flv etc I come across it gets downloaded unless they are one time use only.

My suggestion is little bit complicated , but if implemented well it could be the perfect solution. You can imagine it as a transaction ID we provided with every important form.
    Cetainly it has key differences.

As said before it is bit complicated.However it is worth evaluating the importance of videos .

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    It's not easy.

If your trying to avoid video downloads, SEO is the least of your worries.
    - Me
    Geekly Humor

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think even if you used all the methods explained above...if people really wanted to download or record the videos on your website, they could.

With brute force...maybe using a screen recording software.

It's like you don't want people copying the text from your site but they could always print screen. I think a smart solution is to include a watermark for your images or videos so that if people do copy your videos and they intended to use it commercially, your organisation logo or name would be stamped throughout the whole video and people watching it will know where this video came from.

Hope this helped,
    Jaysone

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethjaysone View Post
    I think even if you used all the methods explained above...if people really wanted to download or record the videos on your website, they could.

With brute force...maybe using a screen recording software.

It's like you don't want people copying the text from your site but they could always print screen. I think a smart solution is to include a watermark for your images or videos so that if people do copy your videos and they intended to use it commercially, your organisation logo or name would be stamped throughout the whole video and people watching it will know where this video came from.

Hope this helped,
    That doesn't stop someone from getting the video. You can stop people from downloading items from your website remotely.
    - Me
    Geekly Humor

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginethis View Post
    That doesn't stop someone from getting the video. You can stop people from downloading items from your website remotely.
    I totally agree with you. I think this depends on a case by case scenario.

If a video is played on a website, how can we stop people from downloading or recording it?

My explanation above assumed that the video was being played on the website, and the website owner doesn't want people downloading the video. I merely explained that it is almost impossible to stop people accessing it because if they really wanted to, they could record it.

But if she offered the videos via a downloadable link, then maybe access levels can be assigned to users with user ID's and passwords.

I may be unaware of any latest ways of doing this but please do let me know if there is a way to entirely stop someone from recording your videos if it is played on your website.

Thank you
    Jaysone