SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Death Penalty Survey

For Sociology I am writing a paper and we have to do a survey and use some of the information in the paper itself. For those who have a couple of minutes to spare, if you could possibly answer the following questions - I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Do you support the death penalty? Yes/No
    2) When should the death penalty be used?
    3) Since when does it make it right for the government to execute someone?
    4) Do you belive that the eye-for-an-eye theories should be used? In this case life-for-a-life.
    5) On a scale of 1-10, how inhumane do you consider death by leathal injection to be?
    6) What about cases in which the person was proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt; yet lacked any "decent" evidence such as DNA, video, or credible witnesses?
    7) How would you like to be strapped down onto a gurney?
    8) What do you think is the next best alternative?
    9) For those who support the death penatly; why do you support it?
    10) For those who do not support the death penalty; why don't you support it?
    11) Do you believe mentally retarded murderers should be executed? Explain why or why not.

Choose only #9 or #10; and I appreciate your responses.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. No -- disagree with the term more than anything else (death isn't necessarily a penalty in my book).

2. In such cases where the society is at tremendous risk if the person is to live and there is no doubt of guilt.

3. It's always been that way...

4. No, that's pointless.

5. One (assuming that one is the least) -- don't really know enough about how it works to be certain though.

6. The evidence required to be put to death should be unequivocal and overwhelming.

7. Feet first.

8. Rehabilitation, if safe in the particular case.

9. It can be an effective tool to eliminate great risks to society.

11. If they meet the criteria, yes -- currently 'retardation' is determined arbitrarily by I.Q., which can vary as much as 15 points day to day. Additionally it violates equal-protection to exempt the mentally retarded.

~~Ian

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiber I just wrote my english thesis on that

[list=1][*]Yes + No
    Is Capital Punishment necessary, No
    Does it deter crime, No
    [*]It doesn't[*]Not sure what you mean, what is the eye-for-an-eye theorie[*]5, In Some states in America they only give certain methods of the death penalty and people have had to be executed, via electric chair as the state doesn't give other options ie, firing squad, lethal injection, lethal gas or hanging. Although it should be the persons right to choose how they die at least. [*]People wont be on death row unless, they are proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt as so few executions occur[*]
    not particuly, looks uncomfortable[*]
    "The new evangelization calls for followers of Christ who are unconditionally pro-life: who will acclaim, celebrate and serve the Gospel of life in every situation. A sign of hope is the increasing recognition that the dignity of human life must never be taken away, even in the case of someone who has done great evil. Modern society has the means of protecting itself, without definitively denying criminals the chance to reform."
    I agree with that besides all the religous stuff. Also It costs more to execute them unless you give me a gun[*]The death penalty is not stringent enough to deter crime, as only 100 people get executed a year roughly

notice the difference[*]Theres other alternatives as i said before[*]this can be used as a scape goat for people, but they can be segregated from the community.[/list=1]

http://www.cacp.org
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance.htm
    Last edited by Andrew-J2000; May 14, 2002 at 00:53.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - no.

2 - never.

3 - It's never right for the government to execute someone.

4 - no.

5 - I don't really know enough about it medically speaking, but it seems a better option than gas, electric chair or hanging.

6 - Again no.

7 - by Angelina Jolie.

8 - Life imprisionment and I mean life not 25 years like it is in some countries you are put there until you die.

10 - There are several reasons why the death penalty is wrong firstly, it does not act as a deterent as some supporters of it argue.

Assuming that murder is the only crime that carries the death penalty then if someone is going to commit murder then nothing will put them off. For instance some killers have severe psychological problems i.e jeffery dahmler, now clearly the threat of execution will not put off someone who is mentally unbalanced and has a strong urge to kill. Or if a husband comes back home finds his wife in bed with someone else loses it and shots the other guy, then the death penalty will not act as a detterent he kills in the heat of the moment and does not think of the consequences.

Anyway is the death penalty more a deterent then life imprisonment, given the choice I would prefer the death penalty to spending the rest of my life in prison.

Another common argument of those who support the death penalty is it saves money, the offender does not cost the tax payer money if he is dead. Well this might be true if the offenders were executed pretty soon after trial, but they are not most spend at least ten years waiting on death row some nearer 20, so how much money is saved?

The most important reason as to why I don't support the death penalty is sometimes the courts get it wrong and an innocent man is executed, now if there was someway of finding if a man was guilty or not that was 100% accurate I would possibly accept the death penalty for the worst offenders, however there is not. I don't think that it's worth a single innocent life when there are decent alternitives such as life imprisonment which still elimanate the risk to society.

Another point to note here is courts don't just get wrong, they are also unfair they often favour the rich over the poor or in some places seem to be racist so not everyone gets a fair trial, which particularly when you are talking about executing them is pretty important.

11 - I can't really answer this I am not a psychologist, but I assume you can still tell right from wrong if you are retarded so no, but then again in some circumstances they may be pressures by others and not mentally up to dealing with outside influence, I don't know!

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: My Death Penalty Survey

In appropriate circumstances, yes.

When the crime is a calculated killing, or when multiple people are killed intentionally.

This is a loaded question. It is the governments responsibility to govern their land. They need a way to deter crime. Life imprisonment does not do so. What other methods do they have for deterrence?

4) Do you belive that the eye-for-an-eye theories should be used? In this case life-for-a-life.
    This is too broad of a statement to be used across the board. It has to be a case by case basis where the severity of the action, intent, etc are all taken into account.

5) On a scale of 1-10, how inhumane do you consider death by leathal injection to be?
    Which is more inhumane, 1 or 10? I think this is one of the more humane ways for people to be executed. They are put to sleep, then put to death. There is no suffering other than the wait to be put to death.

6) What about cases in which the person was proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt; yet lacked any "decent" evidence such as DNA, video, or credible witnesses?
    In this case, no. I don't see how people CAN be convicted without such things. You need ONE of these to be placed at the scene of the crime.

Can't say I'd enjoy it, but I don't plan on killing anyone any time soon. What's the point of this question?

I guess life imprisonment, but then I don't know if that's necessarily any more of a deterrent because in some cases, people are safer in prison than in their own homes. If people are safer, eat better and have the capacity of getting almost free educations, what is the deterrent here?

Because it is the ultimate deterrent. The problem with the system now is that the accussed get shoddy representation at their original trials, so no matter how iron clad the prosecutors case is, the case remains in appeal for years. I think that they need to improve the public defender compensation to allow for the best defenses possible, and to expedite all appeals through the legal system in as timely a manner as possible.

11) Do you believe mentally retarded murderers should be executed? Explain why or why not.
    This one is hard to answer. It depends on how people define mentally retarded. There is no iron clad definition in place, and some are deemed mentally retarded by one person, not by another. If a more exacting definition is put in place, then I don't think they should be put to death.

As an aside, I would like to see the need for NO ONE to be put to death, but until we can find a better way to deter crime, I don't see an alternative.

I appreciate your responses.
    You're welcome....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: My Death Penalty Survey

Yes

I agree with Dave Maxwell

It's the governments job to do what they think is best for the country. If they deem someone dangerous enough, they will sentance them to death. I highly doubt the decision is taken lightly.

I believe that if a person has no respect for the life of others, then they don't deserve to live.

1. From what I understand (which is not a lot) it is a largely painless experience, unlike the chair.

Again, I agree with Dave Maxwell

Some people get off on the kinda thing you know I personally wouldn't, but unless I go slightly more mad than I already am, I don't think I'll experience it.

It depends. Some people, IMO, lose the right to live. Pick any serial killer, Shipman, Fred West, Myra Hindley and Ian Brady?? There's no punishment on this earth great enough for them.
    Other than that, Chryogenic freezing, Demolition Man style???

As I said earlier, when you don't respect the lives of others, why do you deserve to live?

I depends. My cousin is retarded, yet he knows right from wrong. If someone is certified as unaware of right and wrong, then maybe no. I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: My Death Penalty Survey

No, Death is hardly punishment, victims and there families have to live the rest of there life with the pain that the criminal has caused, they arent forced to suffer by dying, it is done humanely and often without alot of pain. There have also been cases were the criminal was sentenced to death, executed and then proven innocent.
    But i also think the free room with onsuite, access to Gym, Library and outdoor rec area is a bit over the top given that taxpayers end up paying for it all... bring back the days were they did something constructive, such as building roads or whatever.

Serial Rapists and thats it

Good Question, guess the answer is that we vote them in and they are our elected representitives, but we dont all always agree on there decisions.

Nope, Because there is no pain and suffering

1 - I would be alot more crewl if i were doing it..

if it lacks any credible evidence then how can it be beyond reasonable doubt?
    hmm thats getting a bit kinky dont you think
    to the death penalty or the gurney?
    for the death penalty i would have to say putting them in a 2 meter by 2 meter room with no light and feeding them meals under the door and let them die from incenity.

allready answered in question 1

Mentally retarded people expect equality within our society, so do people who suffer from variouse other mental ilnesses. If they want equality then they should be treated equal at all times including sentencing. but it would really depend on the situation.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't believe anyone has the mental capacity to say when one person or another is worth living based upon a set of definitions.

Someone should die when they have no respect for human life? I've had times like that, and many youngsters today go through extended times like that.

Someone should die when they have killed [x] number deliberately? That's like saying there is no chance for rehab.

Someone should die when they have caused such a debt to society that they could never repay? I can't honestly look at myself and say that over the course of my whole life I will be more of a benefit to society then a draw. That's a big step to take. To me, if I did that I would automatically be a sucess.

If there were to be any time when I could sit in a jury stand and recommend it be used, it would be when I could say that every single attitude that the person in question has ever had, every single thing they have ever done was always worse then every single attitude, thought and action I have ever even considered.

The government is self-governing. It has no true accountability to the people it serves. Since when does it have the right? When it decides it does.

Do you believe if you step on my toe I should step on yours? There is a point where arguments become silly. If you accidentally burn my report I shouldn't return the favour. If you purposefully burn my report I would think that I could rise above the example you had just set.

If by inhumane you mean something I would recommend think befits the honour of being human I would have to say that I believe humans are mutually-respecting people. Sure, some may say "but this person isn't respecting the human race" and I'd say "so what". That guy who cut me off on the highway wasn't respecting me either but I feel it is my responsibility to keep a cool head as best as I'm able. Blowing up at him or giving him the finger doesn't help his day anymore then him cutting me off helped mine.

I would be very impressed to see someone proved guilty beyond any amount of doubt without any "decent" evidence.

I'm not into that kind of thing, and it's okay I'm filling this survey out without any expectation of recompense... However I love chocolate!

Ahhh, sociology. Is the person truly responsible for their actions if their entire environment is such that their odds of growing up with a true sense of right and wrong are severely diminished? I would say that punishment should be dished out proportionately to the individual's actual awareness of their misdemeanour.

I have a ferret. Sometimes she bites my cheek. When she does I put her in her cage for 20 seconds. If George Bush walked up to me and bit my cheek I would probably ask for a little more.

N/A

10) Do you believe mentally retarded murderers should be executed? Explain why or why not.
    See above. If their awareness of their wrongdoing is at the same level as a 5-year old's awareness of how bad it is to touch a hot stove, they deserve appropriate punishment. That said though society needs to be protected from people who aren't aware how bad such things are.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Against my better judgement I enter this fray. I note some bias in the questioning, but I will ignore it.

Yes. Absolutely.
    When should the death penalty be used?
    The death penalty should be used when intentional violent crimes, such as rape or murder, against multiple victims. It should then only be applied when it is determined, that the defendant shows no remorse and no basis for rehabilitation.
    I would like to ask this question be rephrased as: Is it the government's right to execute criminals? If so, why? To that question, I respond...
    The government is given certain rights, as the government, to protect and defend their country and citizen. Using the criteria I listed above, if the criminal is eligible for the death penalty, then the government has the authority to determine if the criminal's crime calls for the death penalty. It is a matter fo defnding it's country and it's citizens.
    Not in all circumstances. But I do believe the punishment should match the crime and if it's extremely heinous, then the punishment should be just as harsh.
    I reverse the question....how inhumane was the crime? But back to the original question. I think of the methods employed it's among the most humane.
    6) What about cases in which the person was proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt; yet lacked any "decent" evidence such as DNA, video, or credible witnesses?MY trust in the court system. If a criminal is found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and goes through the appeals process and the sentence is upheld, then there must have been decent evidence. I don't like your insinuation that the only decent evidence is DNA, video and credible witnesses. "Decent" evidence is the kind the judge admits into evidence and there are whole legal processes for determining what is "decent" evidence. If you're going to take surveys, cut the slant, man.
    7) How would you like to be strapped down onto a gurney? *ignored for aforementioned slanted bias*
    For what? The death penalty or Question #7?
    9) For those who support the death penatly; why do you support it? I offer two comparisons right now. In Baltimore City we have a District State's attorney who does not pursue the death penalty at all. In Baltimore county, we have another district state's atotrney who pursues it almost all the time. Baltimore City has a violent crime/ per capita rate 10 times higher than Baltimore County. Prince Georges County, a suburb of Washington, D.C. also has a district State's Attorney who does not pursue the death penalty. Their violent crime rate is 4 times that of Baltimore County. That's just a couple of comparisons, but a little research will show that it is a deterrant in society.
    11) Do you believe mentally retarded murderers should be executed? Explain why or why not.It depends because there are levels of mental retardation and if they are so messed up, then how can they really put together the foresight and planning I mentioned that should be a pre-rewq of the death penalty. If they can't plan then they shouldn't get the dp. However, there are varying levels and some mentally retarded individuals do have the planning capability and for those they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to say, I know that I, like many of you would be whistling a different toon if you were staring down the business end of a sawed-off shotgun. Or someone had just raped and beaten to death your wife or daughter.

In addition, the prisons are overflowing these days, we now build prisons at a higher rate than schools. And the cost to keep an inmate in prison for life... Well, it's just not an effecient way to spend our money.

My sympathy goes out to the ones with the toe-tag, not the murdering scum that did it. If you murder someone, then to me you are saying that I revoke my rights that I was given and that includes the right to life.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Golgotha
    It's hard to say, I know that I, like many of you would be whistling a different toon if you were staring down the business end of a sawed-off shotgun. Or someone had just raped and beaten to death your wife or daughter.
    No, I would just want five minutes a week for the rest of his life alone with the man. Then he would know what sustained pain would be. He'd wish for the death penalty after I was done with him each week.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes
    2. Any case of murder, rape or terrorism.
    3. Since when has it been wrong?
    4. No, I believe if someone violates another, by murder or rape, or a nation by terrorism they should be removed from this earth as they are incapable of self control.
    5. I dont, In some cases death by being repeatedly stabbed with a butchers knife would be good.
    6. Only if concrete evidence was present, circumstantial evidence isnt good enough.
    7. I wouldnt, If I was to be executed I'd try and take my own life first and go out on my own terms.
    8. Thrown off a cliff.
    9. Those who commit said offences harm the evolution of society.
    10. n/a
    11. Yes, because if they are incapable of taking part in society to that extent, regardless of their physical form I would not class them as human.
    For eg. We share more DNA with apes than with some human retards.
    In a world where the human mind
    can be programmed like a computer,
    at what point does the human soul end
    and the cybernetic machinery begin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, absolutely

For the most henious (sp) of crimes. Those of which were pre-meditated, motiveless/senseless, and specific crimes: like treason, etc etc

Hardly an objective question, its more like your leading us into something. But I'll answer it anyway.

They have to right to end a life, like they can enforce other laws, charge income tax, sign treaties, and other duties and obligations of the gov't. Criminal execution is probably one of the oldest gov't practices still in use today

Yes. I think a sex offender would be less, umm prone to become sexually aroused, if he were casterated. (Advisors: I said this in the best way I could

Likewise, for the protection of citizens, justice for victems, and long term costs, I say kill the murderers.

You didn't specify, so I will. 1 being the most INhumane, and 10 being ultra humane, I would go with 8-9. Its painless, death takes only a few minutes. They inject you with little more than muscle relaxers (which stop the heart) and various pain killers. Pretty humane sounding to me really. I'd take that over firing squad or electrocution any day

In my book, before sentaced to death, there needs to be zero percent uncertainty, on anyones part. It should be an open and shut case.

Thats fine, as long as someone was there to scratch my nose

Life in prison WITHOUT parole. I'm tired of being notified when a sexoffender is released from prison. They notify you now, beacuse they are still dangerous people, likely to commit the crime again. The only crime worse than that which the criminal performed, is that which is performed a second time by the same person, after being released from prison.

Its the only way to prevent repeat offenders. I do not believe in rehabilitation. Once a murderer, always a murderer. Save the innocents who might be killed by a repeat offender, by executing the criminal. We gotta do it right the first time

I am 100% non-prejudice. I believe in the fair treatment AND the fair punishment of ALL people, regardless of race, religion, color, heritegde, OR mental health. If your smart enough to pick up a knife and kill your wife, your smart enough to know the consequences.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeremy W.
    If George Bush walked up to me and bit my cheek I would probably ask for a little more.
    ...whatever floats your boat, dude... :-p

~~Ian

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, notice I did say just a LITTLE more. Not that I'd enjoy it mind you
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. People who intentionally do harm unto others or are dangerous to society as a whole should be put to death.

The Death penalty should be applied more often than I see it employed these days. Anyone who draws a life sentence should simply be put to death. It is financially irresponsible to support someone who contributes nothing to society.

There is no such thing as a "right" they have the ability and the employ it. The word "right" is abused by mainstream society and has no basis in fact.

4) Do you believe that the eye-for-an-eye theories should be used? In this case life-for-a-life.

Not really, employing an eye-for-an-eye policy is not always feasible.

5) On a scale of 1-10, how inhumane do you consider death by lethal injection to be?

I donít consider it inhumane at all. If anything it's overly humane. Nothing wrong with a bullet or a rope in my opinion.

If they have been proven guilty end of story.

You better buy me dinner before that kind of talk buddy!

There is no better alternative.

9) For those who support the death penalty; why do you support it?

I do not believe it is the responsibility of the public to keep these animals housed and fed. They gave up their "right" to life when they assaulted the society in which they live. These people pose a danger to good people and should be eliminated.

Hell yes they should be executed. These people are even more dangerous than you average murderer because they don't necessarily have to have a motive to off someone. Their mental state is irrelevant, just like putting down a dog that bites people. No difference.
    Last edited by Hellbent; May 14, 2002 at 16:38.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.