SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Left Navigation Menu floating

I'm not sure why this is happening on this particular page only. It floats down about half way down the page. And on every page, this menu appears but only on the menu page, is it appearing this way. I've compared the code from this menu page to another page, and i can't find out why this might be happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jp122163; Feb 19, 2009 at 09:31.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by jp122163; Feb 19, 2009 at 09:31.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among the 16 validation errors on that page, there are several instances of ID values used more than once. I don't know if that's what causes the problem, but it should definitely be fixed (along with the missing alt attributes).
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Among the 16 validation errors on that page, there are several instances of ID values used more than once. I don't know if that's what causes the problem, but it should definitely be fixed (along with the missing alt attributes).
    Thanks for the reply. I guess it doesn't matter if I said, that I didn't create the site... the problem is now mine and I have to figure out a way to fix these errors. I'll run it through http://www.w3.org/ but that's where I get stuck. Should I just go with what it suggests as a correction?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, yes and no.

It can say "this element isn't allowed here, need instance of (element, element, element) here" but randomly choosing one of those elements and sticking it in front isn't a good idea.

The id's you can pretty easily change. Make sure there's only one of them per page. If mutliple where used you might want to make them a class. In the CSS then you'll have to change all the
    #oldid
    to
    .newclass

With the validator, you'll have the easiest time starting with the first error and working your way down. A single real error can cascade down to several validator errors.

If the site's written really bad, it might actually save time to just rewrite it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's up what with that Tr center rubbish?
    Code CSS:
    tr {
        margin:0 auto;
    }
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeAnthony View Post
    What's up what with that Tr center rubbish?
    Code CSS:
    tr {
        margin:0 auto;
    }
    I have no clue.... I was asked to make price changes on the restaurant menu items and noticed that the left navigation menu was half way down the page.... I didn't create this site, but am now trying to figure out how to get that menu back up to the top of the page.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp122163 View Post
    I have no clue.... I was asked to make price changes on the restaurant menu items and noticed that the left navigation menu was half way down the page....
    Yes it is, in IE7 and Firefox. In Opera, Safari and Chrome it appears closer to the top, but on the right side and sans styling.

I don't envy you for having to fix that site.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Yes it is, in IE7 and Firefox. In Opera, Safari and Chrome it appears closer to the top, but on the right side and sans styling.

I don't envy you for having to fix that site.
    I just took a look in chrome and that menu on the RIGHT side is actually the Bottom/footer menu.... if you look about half way down the page, the left navigation menu is still there... same as in IE and FF.

But that bottom or footer navigation menu does not appear in IE on the 'restaurant' menu page but it does appear in FF.

Is this the reason we drink?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No, but it's likely the reason we move on to harder drugs. I'm a coffee-spiker myself.