SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy IE underlining all text!

This is very strange, earlier today IE started to underline all the text on our website. No updates have been made today and it all looks fine in Firefox, Chrome etc.

Also if the site is viewed over a secure connection it is fine!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk

OR

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk

Any ideas anyone? I've checked the validation of the XHTML and CSS and everything seems fine, any help greatly appreciated.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was able to emulate it, and it only seems to occur on hovering under certain conditions. It must be a quirk in internet explorer, the only thing I can put down as a possible resolution to your issue without looking deeply within the code is to try setting the below in your css file, it may help.

* {text-decoration: none;}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for that, I tried it as a quick work around but with no luck unfortunatly. What's really confusing is the difference when viewing a secure page. The style sheets are identical apart from referencing images with https. Very confused!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't emulate the problem... but I'd remove this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    As it throws IE into quirks mode which is never a good thing!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the underline is not supposed to be there, it may be a specificity issue.. check all instances of where "text-decoration" appears in stylesheet and make sure it's exactly applying to that specific selector.
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tailslide,

Normally our site renders perfectly in all browsers which is why this confused me so much. I've just managed to fix it (hence you not seeing the prob) and it seems to be down the addthis widget. If I use the non-secure URL I get the underlining, if I use the secure URL everything is fine. I've posted on their forum about the problem, I'll report back when I hear something. Many thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That xml proglogue won't underline anything, but it is prolly the reason you need an IE6 stylesheet. IE7 has been taught to ignore the prologue (which doesn't do anything unless you're sending your site out as application xml+xhtml, which you aren't because IE can see it) so it does not go into quirks mode. Or so I've heard : ) IE6 is deep into quirks mode with that thing though.

Hope things work out with your widget. You can work as hard as you want and write the most beautiful code ever, but all it takes is a single widget and everything dies. They are usually written terribly. Like PayPal buttons. Nasty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've put our site back this morning to use the non-secure widget from addthis and everything is fine. I can only assume that they've updated the script again.

But yes, I must have spent two hours yesterday wondering what was going on, and all because of an external script! Oh well, I'll know for next time....

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Hope things work out with your widget. You can work as hard as you want and write the most beautiful code ever, but all it takes is a single widget and everything dies. They are usually written terribly. Like PayPal buttons. Nasty.
    I rewrote my PayPal buttons so that they validate properly, the copy paste solution is really hideous, it only took a small bit of work to “fix up” the button to make sure the form passed the test though.