Thread: Help with Site!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help with Site!

Hey everyone -

So i been thinking bout for a very long time to make a Affiliate site. My friend is making sh*t load of $$ on it. Been reading W3s or wutever that website is called for tutorial on XHTML and CSS and it's soo much i also wanna learning programing for sites and such but i doubt I'll get to that just way to much!

My question is I'm thinking bout a site that basically has everything.. someone like Amazon sort of thing. but have them in category and such and everything is link to a product. if you look at this site: icandyclothing dot com
    everything on that is affiliates EVERYTHING but my question is how can i get something like that would link each individual product to that site..? I hope someone can help me out! Greatly Appreciated!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It really depends on what kind of affiliate program(s) you want to use.

Amazon's affiliate program allows you to use their database to retrieve the products list and details. Others don't do this kind of thing.

The other thing that you need to take into consideration is payment methods. Again, some affiliate companies provide you with a shopping cart and they let you use their payment gateway, but if you are using various affiliate programs then things get complicated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check to see if you can find a script to do what you want. Check out places like hotscripts.com.
    WebDesign.fm - my web design blog
    Web Design Inspiration Do Follow Blogs

Follow me on Twitter - Russ Adams

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussAdams View Post
    I would check to see if you can find a script to do what you want. Check out places like hotscripts.com.
    It would be great if there was... yet it is unlikely... I find it too "personal" to have a generic script.

Basically, what you need is a database with the products and all the information, including links and everything. Some provide APIs to have access to this information safely. Some don't. It simply needs careful studying to know which are the best affiliate programs, which are the best, and how to do it. But without specific information, it is really hard to guess the best method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you dont realise how big the task ahead of you is, its likely to take a year of selfdevelopment to pick up and understand the skils and expertise needed unless you pay big money to outsource. Plus, if you are in it purely for the money then you are up against a load of far more experienced people than you - i am not saying it cant be done but this will not be do-able with ease or with half-heartedness......

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh i know it's a HUGE JOB but if u do it right MAD MONEY well coming ur WAY! it's really hard to find someone that actually knows bout it or wut i'm talking bout also!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could produce a script so that for example if they wanted to find a product on <Insert Company here> it would search their website in the background (using either their own native search engine or Google site search), find the product (based on explicit search terms) and then redirect the user to the page based on your affiliate settings. Almost like one of those price comparison websites in reverse with an affiliate twist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by g1siberia View Post
    you dont realise how big the task ahead of you is, its likely to take a year of selfdevelopment to pick up and understand the skils and expertise needed unless you pay big money to outsource. Plus, if you are in it purely for the money then you are up against a load of far more experienced people than you - i am not saying it cant be done but this will not be do-able with ease or with half-heartedness......
    Yeah I have to agree, it takes a lot of promotion/marketing/developing and other skills to create a successful affiliate site. Big money really only comes with certain types of affiliates too. But if you want to build a website for strictly affiliate sales more power to you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of affiliate programs out there and some affiliate networks - I use affiliate window as a network on one of my sites. As someone mentioned some companies like amazon..also play. c o m allow 'deep-linking' to their products to link directly to the ones you want.

The main problem here is competition is HUGE -

worth doing alot of research on this beforehand, theres loads of articles around affiliate marketing / niche finding etc. all over the net.
    Flash web design & development
    www.mindyourheadmedia.com

Premiership betting tips

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a huge project to do. I think you should get help from some expertise.