User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GoDaddy is using my domain

I have a domain name reged at godaddy. I just have it sitting there till I decide what to do with it. I typed the domain name into google, just to see if there was other sites with a name like it and to my surprise my domain name was a site full of advertisements, the site was parked by GoDaddy. I did not know GoDaddy had done this. Can they do it and who keeps the money from the click's.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is partly how businesses like Godaddy make money from their domains and keep the costs down; they put adverts up on their sites until you have set it up or have it actively linked to a website and they collect the money from the clicks to help subsidise the low costs. Yes they can do it as it’s simply a “holding page”, but that’s what you get for going with a low cost registrar.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of registrars do this. Welcome to the world of domaining!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linkin99 View Post
    Alot of registrars do this. Welcome to the world of domaining!
    Mine does not, I guess I am special

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if you don't use your site or upload something, you'll use your domain to advertise...also if you use their free hosting credits, they'll have ads at the top
    Truthful Review of Regcure
    Protect and Clean your PC for fast performance
    Compare Registry Cleaners - RegcureReview.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite a shady practice if you as me, but as linkin99 said, welcome to the world of domaining!
    Marketplace Manager @ BuySellAds.com
    About me on: Scorpiono.com
    Deals & Discounts I negotiate via TheyKnowBest.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they inform the owner of the Domain name that they are doing this.
    Is it part of their terms and conditions.(I am like a lot of people I dont read the terms and conditions, I go down and click I agree)
    If it's not, is it legal.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B1gft View Post
    Do they inform the owner of the Domain name that they are doing this.
    That depends how one desires or demands to be notified. But if your website
    sells a tangible item, will you inform the customer in the front page how you'll
    verify their payment before shipping it?

Is it part of their terms and conditions.(I am like a lot of people I dont read the terms and conditions, I go down and click I agree)
    Why not read it in your spare time? While a lot of people don't read contracts
    they enter into with other parties, unfortunately ignorance hasn't really been
    known to excuse anyone much from something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don’t believe they have to make you aware if they are going to have an advertising supported holding page. It’s such a common practice I have some doubts over the legality over notifying a customer about the temporary page which is going to be generated. Also: Dave is correct; ignorance is no excuse for lack of a better term. If you do not read the terms and conditions for a contract you effectively sign into, be prepared to feel the consequences further down the line.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I donít believe they have to make you aware if they are going to have an advertising supported holding page. Itís such a common practice I have some doubts over the legality over notifying a customer about the temporary page which is going to be generated. Also: Dave is correct; ignorance is no excuse for lack of a better term. If you do not read the terms and conditions for a contract you effectively sign into, be prepared to feel the consequences further down the line.
    I disagree, if you own the name, and they are using it without your permission, that is wrong. Its the same as some Guy parking his car, in your yard. When he is not there you are using it as a Taxi, without his permission. But you tell him because you charge him very little to park there, you think its ok to use his car to make money!
    Because no one has said yes GoDaddy tells you on their terms and conditions, I can assume you or some others, have not read them (If you deal with them)
    It dose not bother me if they use my personal domain names or not, but when I purchase a name on behalf of a client, who is holding the name till they get their website made, then, yes I would mind and I think I would get into trouble with the client.
    Any names I would purchase for a client I will make sure where I have them parked where they are not being used by the hosting company.
    I will over the weekend have a look at their terms and conditions and let you know what it says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly no my domains are not with godaddy, and no they donít do the above... They are simply providing a temporary location for the domain until you give it a permanent link, and without those adverts your domains that you "own" would have cost more money... if you choose to go with a cheap registrar, you get what you pay for.

The simple fact is that those adverts are doing the equivalent of squatting in an empty office building, the office isnít in use at that time, sure they might not own the office, but if the owners made sure to immediatly make arrangements for the use of the office when they purchased it rather than leave it derelict, then the squatters would not have rested up there, or at least had the opportunity too by the time the office was open for business.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Mine does not, I guess I am special
    That's why I didn't say "all".

Off Topic:

My mommy tells me I'm special too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me once it was even a good domain name but yeah thats how they keep the cost so low.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are using it without your permission
    That depends if, say, they changed it without your permission. If you haven't
    changed its nameservers ever since it was registered, you'll soon find you've
    actually "agreed" to let them do that in your contract with them whether you
    personally agree with it or not.

Anyway, just switch the domain's DNS to another set. Problem solved.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Permission???

BUILD your own "holding page" and upload that to your server (you pointed it to your server, didn't you?) and avoid all the nonsense above about petty legalities and fine print in the TOC. If some host replaces your "holding page" with their nonsense, that's CLEARLY ILLEGAL.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX and avoid trivialities.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The money they make from your domain is probably only pennies, but it you multiply that by the millions of domain they have parked it adds up.
    WebDesign.fm - my web design blog
    Web Design Inspiration Do Follow Blogs

Follow me on Twitter - Russ Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may upload an "under development" page and your domain will show only your contents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL yes it is somewhat cheeky but there is no excuse for you to not throw up a holding page of your own with some ads on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by g1siberia View Post
    LOL yes it is somewhat cheeky but there is no excuse for you to not throw up a holding page of your own with some ads on
    It is cheeky, however, you can avoid it by uploading your own index file.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the Word "welcome to the Domain world"it like saying welcome to Dominate world ,godady has the power and you don't,you have to follow there terms and you have to pay them as well,well it is clear who is the win here,Godady definitely has more Then you do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godaddy are awful for this, a favorite they have been doing for me is taking any domain with only 2 weeks of registration remaining and automatically pointing the dns to their parking page. even though the domain is not expired. When I contacted them they said it was standard practice... shady to say the least

But again to mirror other comments, its the domaining world and low cost registrars can use tactics like this to rake is attractive ad revenues

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes this seems to be standard practice & I am sure they make a TON of money from doing this.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the world of domaining!
    I know sibername.com, register.com and directi do not follow this way. Once registered and with no website, domains show parking page with no ads... I always knew godaddy is not very honest, offering low prices...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigLL View Post
    I know sibername.com, register.com and directi do not follow this way. Once registered and with no website, domains show parking page with no ads... I always knew godaddy is not very honest, offering low prices...
    dude godaddy is great ! and by them throwing up a parked page while you figure out what your going to do with your domain, as if millions of people are just going to show up to your site by type in . . . come on are you serious thats the only thing that you can come up with that is negative and how many visitors do you think you are going to get with out any sort of marketing or seo with in the first week of buying a domain ?

If you create a sub folder to start building once the sub folder is finally processed and shows up in your ftp there is a page that says forbidden when you visit the website so technically its because of your lack of motivation that you feel you are not being treated fairly . . . is that what i am hearing ?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they can do it (buried in their terms and conditions). You should either put up a coming soon page or join a parking company like parked dot com and change your DNS so YOU can earn money from it. IMHO