SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Put Comments on a Static WordPress Page?

I've got a popular article on a static page of my WordPress blog/website that I think would tend to draw comments from readers. I've looked for a plugin to accomplish this, but I've not found one.

Is it possible to put comments on a static WordPress page? If so, could someone offer some input on how to accomplish that?

Thanks!
    Deb
    Deb Phillips
    The Photo Gal

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing keeping you from allowing comments on a page is a theme that will allow it and making sure the comments are on in the edit screen for that page. If your theme has a single.php file that you think would look good for that page you can copy its contents, paste it into a new file and make it a "custom page template". Then select that template in the admin where you would edit that page.

You can also create a file based on your current page.php (if one exists for your theme) and add the necessary template tags to display the comment form and comments.

Custom Page Templates: http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Cre...Page_Templates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaronjj, I've not messed with creating templates before, but I think I'm getting what you're saying. My theme doesn't have a single.php file, but it does have a page.php file. I see by looking at the code in the page.php file that it produces the basic layout of a typical page.

I also see some code in the index.php page that creates the comments section. That code is simply:

Code:
    <h3>Comments</h3>
    <?php comments_template(); // Get wp-comments.php template ?>
    Is the above code generally what you're referring to for the tags needed to create the comments section on a new template page?

Thanks a lot.

Deb
    Deb Phillips
    The Photo Gal

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it. I would caution you to make sure to backup your theme files before editting them. If you make a Custom Page Template like I suggested above then you will be able to select which pages you want to have comments on a little easier. If you just edit the page.php then comments will be available on all pages (not using a custom template) unless you disallow comments on the individual pages in the backend, in which case there is usually a message that says "comments are closed on this post".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm going to leave the page.php file alone but will create a template from it. Wow, suddenly this looks very simple!

Thanks so much for your time and input, aaronjj. I *really* appreciate it.

Deb
    Deb Phillips
    The Photo Gal