SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry My Monitor Won't Work

My monitor at home was working fine on Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, turned it on and nothing. The power is on, but the screen remains black. I've tried another monitor, and that worked fine, so there's clearly a problem with mine.

Does anyone know of anything that could be wrong, and won't require me taking the back off??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post searching for an answer

Screen completely black. Check the following things:

* That the monitor is plugged into power (at both ends) and switched on (at both ends).
    * That the signal cable is connected to the graphics adapter (and especially not a Token Ring card)!
    * That the user hasn't simply turned down the brightness overnight, or that a screensaver utility has not cut the video.

Turn the brightness right up and look for the screen to go grey and the appearance of the retrace lines.

If they are there, then the problem lies either in the input circuitry of the monitor, the video cable or the circuitry of the graphics adapter.

If turning up the brightness has no effect, yet the power indicator on the front of the monitor is glowing, then it's most likely that a fault in the monitor circuitry has caused the power supply circuitry to "crow-bar" or shut itself off internally. Send out for repair.

also, check this page:

http://64.209.212.162/lycos/step/1,,...+16804,00.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have a go at all of that, problem is, I can't see what I'm doing to turn the brightness up!!

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this happened to me when my RAM was not seated properly, have you been inside the case recently?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moonman
    I'll have a go at all of that, problem is, I can't see what I'm doing to turn the brightness up!!
    Doesn't your monitor have controls on the outside of it? Most have them on the front or back of the monitor...

Also, is your computer starting up (you should see some hard drive activity). Can you try the monitor on another system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look inside the case, I couldn't see any problem.

There aren't any controls on the outside, bloody Dell monitors.

The PC is deffinately booting up, cos I tried another monitor and it worked fine.