User Tag List

Thread: What next

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What next

I am currently working my way through "Build You Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML And CSS" and hope to have my first site on-line this month. I would like to continue up the learning curve and so what should I concentrate on next? More advanced CSS, or perhaps something along the lines of Sitepoint's "The Priciples Of Beautiful Web Design?" I prefer to use books so recommended books would be appreciated.

Thank you.

RVC

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "The Priciples Of Beautiful Web Design" book pretty much expands on what you were talking about. The book itself is based on using more advanced CSS to improve aspects of design such as image usage, typography and more.

If you want something new to learn, from where you are I would recommend one of two options...

1. Advance your HTML / CSS skills further (alike to what you said).
    2. Get a book on beginning JavaScript and learn how to add further functionality into your pages.

Hope the info is helpful and good luck you can always come back on the forums if you get stuck, lol

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alex. Assuming I go the advanced HTML/CSS route what would the next Sitepoint (or other) book be?

RVC

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pick up either the CSS Anthology (2nd Edition) or HTML Utopia (both by Rachel Andrew). Then from there I'd get either the Principles of Beautiful Web Design or a good beginner's book on JavaScript that teaches how to code accessible, unobtrusive JavaScript rather than teaching you how to use JavaScript via a framework.

Of course, I also recommend picking up "Don't Make Me Think!" by Steve Krug and "Designing With Web Standards" by Jeffrey Zeldman (both in their second editions - with Zeldman writing the 3rd edition right now, which will include code examples).

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVC View Post
    Thanks Alex. Assuming I go the advanced HTML/CSS route what would the next Sitepoint (or other) book be?

RVC
    I would take a look at the following...

HTML / CSS Mastery - Both by different authors but both probably the best extended introduction guides I’ve ever seen in paperback.
    Designing with Web Standards - how to make sure your code is friendly.
    Don't Make Me Think! - A great book on the basics of usability.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help, gentlemen. After considering your responses and some other study I've done I'll probably go with "Beautiful Web Design" first, then into more advanced CSS or HTML. Currently my approach is toward simplicity but as I'm pretty new to all this possibly that will change with time.

Thanks again. Your help is appreciated.

RVC

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    "The Priciples Of Beautiful Web Design" book pretty much expands on what you were talking about. The book itself is based on using more advanced CSS to improve aspects of design such as image usage, typography and more.
    Agreed, great book. Helped me understand more how to get exactly what the customer requires.