SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Vote for EACH CMS you WOULD use for a "cheaper" client. Your vote will be public.

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wordpress

23 60.53%
  • Drupal

4 10.53%
  • Joomla

12 31.58%
  • Other

7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll: Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress or other?

Hi all,
    I'm specifically interested in which of the above 3 FREE CMS's you'd use with a "cheaper" client. (Church, charity, activist group, whatever). So I know many of you love Expression Engine but I'm trying to get a feel for what sitepoint members might use out of the above big 3 FREE CMS's, and just tick "other" if you have another one and leave a comment on this thread about that choice please. If you wish to explain why you prefer one FREE CMS over another, that would be interesting as well.

I know this is the eternal debate, but also keep in mind none of this is definitive as Drupal 7 is coming out (addressing many of the usability issues as defined by various university studies.... see Drupal wikipedia entry) and Joomla 1.6 is also coming out this year. So maybe we'll have to do this again in a year or so when everyone's adjusted to the reshuffle.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla is not easy to setup, but once it's setup, it's easy for end user to use. The "setup" means more than setting up website and database which is easy, but customize for your clients. Also it's very old school and confusing sometime.

Wordpress is a great software. It has some nice interfaces and easy to use. But I think it's not meant for building a website. It's a blog and should be part of your existing website.

Haven't tried Drupal. I heard it's pretty good.

If you are a programmer, I would suggest you to find/buy a simple cms and customize it. CMS is nothing more than creating new pages, navigation menu, editing content and uploading pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used both Drupal and Wordpress. I preferred Drupal but since Wordpress can be updated directly from admin site and Drupal still can’t (which updating with many modules installed is a nightmare), I prefer Wordpress.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whichever one out of those you are familiar with that meets the requirements of what you are trying to do.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Keep it rolling in all, and especially your impressions of these 3 CMS's. Very valuable to me as a newbie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a “cheaper” client = less money, I would do wordpress because it is easy to set up and fast. Time is $

I don’t like joomla I do like drupal but it takes more time to set up and customize.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress, much better customization. Joomla shouldn't be used, they had lots of security leaks. I don't know about their latest Joomla though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Nucleus CMS it's basic but very extensible

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMS made simple

yes, a recursive acronym!

I tried Drupal 6.x - it was unusable on my cheap-but-wonderful shared hosting provider. It's a case of superb engineering - very object orientated, well designed... but php becomes like treacle when objects have a deep hierarchy, so requires decent hardware, making it unsuitable for cheap websites. Wordpress works well (I used it for one charity, as a freebie), might go back to that. But CMS made simple really is that - very clean, uses smartie templates. It's active, the latest came out a week ago. Should be better known, and has the plugins (again, very simple) you probably need.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty amazed no one has mentioned Textpattern: http://textpattern.com/
    Peace,
    e-man

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a "cheaper" client.
    You'll really want to check out Cushy CMS. Essentially it's not a cms, just the content editor back end.

There are no restrictive templates to hack. Code your layout like you would for a non CMS site. Drop in some code, change class or id name for only those elements you want the client to be able to edit. Like headings, text, product photos and captions.

When the client logs in all they see is the editable stuff. No markup.

It's what they (and you) want. Not a CMS, a really, really primitive editor.

Content management is completely different. And most CMS installers are not offering a Content Management System when they install drupal, joomla, wordpress, textpattern and the rest. Software does not a CMS make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Drupal is head and shoulders above the rest. But there is a considerable learning curve for the client no matter how bullet proof you have made things. For the cheap and cheerful end of the market I think it has to be Wordpress even though it's pretty clunky. Joomla sort of sits between the two but clients don't take to that easily either. We built our own cms last year. It was definitely one of the best moves we have ever made
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting and consistent picture emerging.

isn't "Cushy CMS" expensive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Right there on the site

And it is, and always will be a free CMS. You can use it for professional use, you can even charge your clients to use it.
    Outragous. Uh ...no ...wait a sec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose Joomla. I don't like it but it's the fastest (cheapest) to set up. For enterprise clients we always use Drupal

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one free open source php cms I use for 90% of all my client sites (typically small and medium businesses) is Website Baker. Joomla and Drupa are way too technical and complex to set up, configure and use. WP is just an extended blog.

Website Baker is a very powerful yet very easy to use cms for both designer and end user, and is just the package you need for general all round websites. Very active community and development as well!
    Kind regards,
    Jurgen Nijhuis
    Argos Media

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WP is simple and looks nice out of the box, but the code is atrocious and a security-risk

Drupal looks ok, but too hard for end-users

Joomla gets my vote - hard to template nicely, and looks lame out of the box...but...once it's going I've found it (v 1.5) secure, very easy to teach people how to use and full of great addons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress for sure.

Just remember to limit admin access to yourself.
    Robin
    Find out how to get More Money at this URL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cushy CMS is approaching what I want. Being a Sitepoint book buyer I have already coded several sites myself - I'm not interested in a CMS with "templates" - I want to be able to give my already finished community site to them to update. Most of the CMS sites I've looked at (all listed above) appear way too complex for a simple content updating system.

However, Cushy doesn't include basic ad-ons like forums and surveys and other stuff that the community might want and of course, it's NOT free. Also, it seems you are connecting your site to THEIR server. I don't mind uploading my own copy of the backend to my own server. I love how you can just place a class code around what you want editable.

Anything else like this? Any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread is specifically about the cheaper client. That means no forum. No modules.

For those, you would want to charge extra, hence putting it outside the budget of the cheaper client. One of the reasons a cheaper client expects the low price is they don't want the extras -- even when they're turned off. They want easy to edit HTML -- not a CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for going off topic. This has been very helpful. I've been researching CMS for the past few weeks and had looked at Drupal and Joomla but hadn't come across WordPress. After trying it out as well I have given my vote to WordPress.