SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Webdesign integration in wordpress - your method?

Hello, I have knowledge and experience in (X)Html, CSS and some PHP (I can understand it, but I cannot write it) and decided to learn Wordpress. The installing wasn't really hard and I managed to integrate a design made by me in Wordpress.

My question for you is how can I make Wordpress act like a CMS for me and make easier changes in the future?

If I want a main navigation bar with the following: Home, About, ... Contact, how do I accomplish that?
    Do I have to make my own list with links to the pages or should I let Wordpress make them from Admin CP?
    How do I add content just to the About page? Can I create a post in my admin or should I enter it manually?
    And the most important question: If I need a blog section, how should I approach this? Should I make all of the pages in wordpress or make just that section a match the design?

What is you logistic when you make an entire website in wordpress?

Thank you for for enlightening me.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I create a home.php file and serve that as my "home page", then create a WordPress Page that will allow me to update the site home page dynamically. I then go into the Dashboard and set my page preferences to have the home page be separate from the blog index. To do this you'll have to create a blog WordPress Page to serve as your blog index, but that's not hard.

As for the menu, I prefer to use a hard-coded HTML list with a few custom PHP scripts embedded inside, but it can be done via wp_list_pages(); (I think WP 2.7 introduced a new way to do it, but I haven't messed with it since my mom's been in and out of the hospital and a nursing home the past few months).

To add content to a specific page (such as the About page), go to either Write (to create a new page) or Manage, and then either create a new WordPress Page or edit an existing one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for answer, it sounds like a good technique, a bit difficult to apply from my perspective but still good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also buy a premium theme like "revolution2 themes" or "woo themes" that have your question already worked out. WIth the premium themes, when you add a "category" it becomes a menu item. When you add a "subcategory" it becomes a child menu item.
    Mahalo Aloha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My page-order plug-in you can arrange all your page navigation links in whatever order you want.

Just go to wordpress.org and spend some time looking at the widgets, then spend sometime playing with your blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to use a theme that is kind of how I want my site to look, then modify the css and layout as needed.
    Game Website Builder - Start Your Own Money Making Game Website
    Blogging For Money - Learn Profit Blogging
    Web Traffic Academy - Learn How To Get More Web Traffic

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    custom build your own template and use it for all your sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of links:

http://wphackr.com/auto-create-navigation-menu/
    http://chasesagum.com/menu-navigatio...-for-wordpress

Personally I have done two things. One is to decide when designing the template what kind of static menu I should have and then hardcode it into the template. The other is to list only parentpages in the main menu.

The plugin I listed in the link above seems interesting though, never tried it myself, but will do for my next wordpress-site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for answers but let's assume I want the blog page as home page (first page when somebody enters the website).

The other pages should be just static. Where should I place them? I am worried about the SEO that they won't be in the root.

What kind of structure should I have for the website in this case?

I think in this case the all Wordpress engine cannot reside in a separate folder "Blog" and it should be in the public folder. I don't want to make a soup over there.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recruit View Post
    Thanks everybody for answers but let's assume I want the blog page as home page (first page when somebody enters the website).
    In that case, you should install the wordpress to your main url (directly to public_html file).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just figured out that later. But what about the other static pages? Should I live them in the public folder, or make an aditional folder, to stay more organized? I am still worried about SEO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one I ever did I used this: http://www.wpdesigner.com/2007/02/19...ss-themes-huh/ it seemed to help a lot and was easy to follow
    SHOUTcastLive - Discover your inner DJ. (New Website)
    The-Pixel.com - Digital Imagination.
    HostingZoom - Power. Speed. Reliability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recruit View Post

The other pages should be just static. Where should I place them? I am worried about the SEO that they won't be in the root.

What kind of structure should I have for the website in this case?

I think in this case the all Wordpress engine cannot reside in a separate folder "Blog" and it should be in the public folder. I don't want to make a soup over there.

Thanks
    See below, and then use WordPress Pages (not Posts) for your "static" content.

Quote Originally Posted by mdamin76 View Post
    In that case, you should install the wordpress to your main url (directly to public_html file).
    Actually you can (and should) install it to a subdirectory, and then redirect that to the domain root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, that link two posts above helps me.

I still have another question: Is there a way to remove the Title "Pages"? I want to keep just the links. I assume I started a new template but I have activated the Widgets options.

And another question: Should a redirect with .htaccess? ANy syntax for that, assuming I have a folder called blog?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To remove the "Pages" title, all you have to do is edit the Theme's "sidebar.php" file (assuming you're not using widgets - IIRC editing the widgets requires you to modify the core files within WordPress, and those change with every version and incremental update).

For the redirect, you can do that from within WordPress' admin control panel (the Dashboard).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somehow is still unclear for me the use of pages method.

I made my new template called index.php in template folder and I assume I use Pages for the main menu. What if I want a page look different than the other like a page have sidebar. How do I customize that just for that page?

P.S I still couldn't find the page redirection.

p.s 2

For the sake of a better understanding and this post's theme I want to post a short sitemap example:

Blog/Home (this one will have a sidebar)
    |
    Services-About-Contact (this pages won't)

So, how do you organize the structure (folders, pages - where you locate them). I'm sure after I understand this properly I will be on my own.

Thanks