User Tag List

Thread: next step(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next step(s)

Hi, I am a "newbie", I purchased "Build your own website the right way using html & css" some time ago and worked with it.

I would like advise what would be the best next step/book to study. In which order of importance to build a solid base of website design. I have an exisiting website/e-commerce built by someone else who became unavailable. I have limited possibilities to change things on the site and at some point I would like to be able to re-design and make changes to the site.

The books that looked interesting to me are: HTML Utopia, designing without tables using CSS; CSS Anthology 101 essential tips, tricks; The principles of beautiful webdesign; Build your own database driven website using PHP & My SQL and Java Script.

Please advise. Thanks!
    Mukto

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint-wise, probably the CSS Anthology if you're already comfortable with basic HTML and CSS. Though I'd advise looking at the spec itself sometime, as it's the real source of knowledge.
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know someone might growl at me for not pointing out other sitepoint books (though I purchased 5 in the Australian appeal), But I must point out a couple of good books which have helped me so much with learning about design...

The Zen of CSS Design (Based on the CSS Zen Garden.)
    CSS Mastery (Along with HTML Mastery, they are very well written guides to the languages)

and if you wanted some other ideas...

Eric Meyer on CSS
    More Eric Meyer on CSS
    Designing with Web Standards
    Web Standards Solutions
    Don't Make Me Think!

... I have too many books on my shelf

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soulscratch and Alex thanks for your reply and insights. I will check out the spec and books.