SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Textarea Editor

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're aware of this and several other products that perform similar functions. We're the only ones who will provide cross-browser, cross-platform support for unlimited users at a price that is within the average Web developer's budget.

...and we have more tricks up our sleeves still to come.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is kinda cool. I was upset to hear the word java applet? but I guess normal users would not see this.

But if it's java is there any settings you can use to add things to that top menu? Like smilies for example?

And what form will a demo take? Will you give an example? or just screenshots?
    Last edited by Smarky; May 11, 2002 at 03:29.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could really use this in a project I recently worked on where doctors and residents submitted abstracts of their research online for a forum where they were judges.

The biggest limitation I found for the submitters was the difficulty building a table to put their data into. I had to do all of those by hand with the html. Any chance this could be extended to do something where a user could drop in a html table by specifying #rows and columns? Know of anything else that might help with it?

Looks great though and I know I could use it. Any chance of getting an e-mail when it's out?
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit that my initial enthusiasm has cooled of a little...

I looked at HTMLeditbox, and I must say that it's at the moment a better choice, unless you can't have your client move to IE, of course, which very well might be the case sometimes.

I don't like applets either. The little buggers require a 8MB download on XP systems, which doesn't have Java preinstalled. (Damn you, MS and Sun!)

While HTMLeditbox only works on IE 5.5, it offers both table and image support at 1/13 of the cost of Editize.

However, I do realize editize is an early version and I don't doubt that Kevin and the gang has several nifty features coming up.

Also, will the source of Editize be open? People will want to customize it, if only for localization.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i'd definately like to see how they made this, will there be any tutorials on making applets at all?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. Johansson
    While HTMLeditbox only works on IE 5.5, it offers both table and image support at 1/13 of the cost of Editize.
    It looks to me that the two things are marketed to different individuals. Editize is marketed towards the web designer. Whereas the other is licensed towards the single site owner.

I like the fact that Editize will work in other browsers because on two of my sites, the primary individuals in charge of the organizations use Macs and invariably do not use Internet Explorer.
    Last edited by Hierophant; May 11, 2002 at 07:03.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smarky
    But if it's java is there any settings you can use to add things to that top menu? Like smilies for example?
    Image support will definitely be supported in the second version. For now, you can fully customize which of the pre-existing features are available in any given instance of the applet (e.g. it's posible to configure it right down to a bare text area by disabling all the features).
    And what form will a demo take? Will you give an example? or just screenshots?
    The freely downloadable distribution will work on localhost for testing and development for as long as you want. You'll also be able to download a 30-day trial license for any hostname you like. We're currently nutting out the details of another trial version that would work across local networks (for Web development shops that have an in-house test server).
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can answer some of those questions as I'm a beta tester.

Yes they plan on expanding it in later versions.

No it doesn't currently support tables (planned)

Yes there will be a workable demo.

No it will not be open source, but the menu bar items are customizable (you choose which ones you want to use for each instance of the editor), however you cannot make your own.

Whereas Editize will cost one price for 20, 30, or even 100 sites with its license.
    Really Wayne? As far as I know the license is tied to the domain it is used on. Thats how it was for beta testing anyways.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by deuce868
    I could really use this in a project I recently worked on where doctors and residents submitted abstracts of their research online for a forum where they were judges.

The biggest limitation I found for the submitters was the difficulty building a table to put their data into. I had to do all of those by hand with the html. Any chance this could be extended to do something where a user could drop in a html table by specifying #rows and columns? Know of anything else that might help with it?
    Tables will definitely be in the second version, but not in the initial release I'm afraid.
    Looks great though and I know I could use it. Any chance of getting an e-mail when it's out?
    If you subscribe to any of our newsletters, we'll let you know when it's released.

(Personally, I thought HTMLEditBox was butt-ugly... but maybe that's just me...)
    Last edited by Kevin Yank; May 11, 2002 at 07:04.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Really Wayne? As far as I know the license is tied to the domain it is used on. Thats how it was for beta testing anyways.
    I was going by some of the other information in this thread which I got the wrong impression. Hopefully someone else will clear the issue up about "Unlimited User Licensing".
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlimited user licensing means that you only need to buy one license to use it on a Web site like, say, SitePoint.com, where the user community is quite vast. For example, we could use it to allow authors to submit formatted articles directly into our CMS for consideration.

Many similar products are priced higher to begin with and only allow for up to 10 end-users to have access to the applet before you need to start buying extra licenses.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh.. when he said unlimited user license, I thought he was meaning you could buy it, integrate it with your product, and you were free to go.
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some things about HTMLeditbox

in the beginning of my post I must apologize for my English because I'm not native English speaker.

There was several posts about HTMLeditbox and I'm going to clear things up.

Well, it's true HTMLeditbox is based on ActiveX libraries and will work only in IE. It's PHP/Javascript hybrid using javascript on client-side and PHP on server-side.

There are already users using it on Macintosh with MS Entourage installed, I didn't try that by myself yet, because I have no Mac available for testing, but they told me it works.

----------
    Now some facts why it won't work in other browsers, first it's because of lack of functions and incompatibilites in other browsers. You will see similar editors just coming to the market which support more than just IE browsers but when using NN editors they downgrade themselfs and disable ActiveX based functions. HTMLeditbox uses these functions to be lightweight and fast loading (I personaly hate editors loading several minutes).

Some people says it's bad that it works as popup window, I talked about this with one of my customers yesterday, so here is explanation why it worls as it works:

Editing content in new window is critical from many reasons
    - it makes editor absolutely universal and as such can be used in 99% of CMS systems, mailing scripts or whenever HTMLediting is neccessary - this is the main point

- you are able to resize the window so width of edited area fits size of your template and you can see actual size and layout of the design

- editor uses several iframe windows which cannot be addressed in javascript if they are putted always in different environment (problem with duplicate naming of windows, elements etc. )

- positioning of submenus - as you can see, HTMLeditbox uses unique submenus, it doesn't open modalWindow dialog which forces you to add settings and click to OK, untill you press OK you don't have access to layout. HTMLeditbox lets you edit layout and set for example new table at the same time, if you don't like the table created you still have access to settings used and can just fix it and re-deploy table again, in the meantime the first table can be deleted. Same tricks can be used when working with local images, this is most convenient way I found.

--------------
    Another cool thing on HTMLeditbox is installation, there is no setup, upload it to your website, edit (or add) one line in your current administration and it works.

Because my intention was to make it truly universal you can use it in 99% of CMS applications without problems. On my website is still growing list of supported applications and you can download support packs (set of pre-edited files) free of charge in download section. Do you know currently unsupported application? Just drop me a link and I will create support pack for it.

HTMLeditbox was written because I just needed it, I need it for everyday updating of my websites, I needed tool which is fast loading and can help me in everyday tasks of layouting articles and emails (that's right, this tool is perfect for laying out email newsletters).

I gave it to public for few bucks, to make it available literaly for everyone , doesn't matter if they live in United States or Phillippines if they make several thousands dollars a month or just few hundreds for almost the same work but on another continent.

No matter, there is much more of new and upcoming editors with more features (HTMLeditbox also doesn't sleep). I still believe it's one of most competitive products on editor market today (especially if you compare function and price) and you can prove if I'm right or wrong.

And for those who are calling for internationalization just note that next week will be released build 9 with multilingual support and some code clean-up. For current users free of charge of course

Have a nice weekend and if someone has a question or two I will come back on Sunday to answer them.

Josef Zirnsak
    Labs4.com

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by kyank
    If you subscribe to any of our newsletters, we'll let you know when it's released.

(Personally, I thought HTMLEditBox was butt-ugly... but maybe that's just me...)
    I actually though that one of the attractive aspects of HTMLEditBox was how it looked and also in terms of it being feature rich. I think many people will agree:

HTMLEditBox: http://www.labs4.com/go/img/screenshot.gif

Editize:
    http://sitepoint.com/graphics/redit.gif

I really think that $127 (from memory) is too much for Editize. You'd do better selling it for a much lower price whilst it develops so it spreads through the sector faster. Then possibly adopt the $127 price tag for the next version when it has more features like table support for example.

At the moment Editize is some 14 times more expensive than HTMLEditbox for the same licence setup. The only advantage of Editize is that it's cross-platform compatible. Yes that's a big advantage I hear you cry, but for that extra expense?

This is all just my personal opinion on the information presented. I haven't tested Editize yet!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow CONFESSION OF HTMLEDITBOX

SPECIAL RELEASE FOR SITEPOINTERS ONLY!

here is a link to DEMO OF HTMLeditbox 1.0 build 8 try that (especially local image functions - adding just by click on preview image!) and you will see why I'm getting several excited emails a week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now THIS is hard competition at it's best. You need to put write permissions on your demofolders, though - I want to test the image upload.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like challenge

Originally posted by M. Johansson
    Now THIS is hard competition at it's best. You need to put write permissions on your demofolders, though - I want to test the image upload.
    oops, sorry, but now ...
    ... everything is CHMODed for race, ... ready, steady ... GO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I like challenge

Originally posted by labs4.com

oops, sorry, but now ...
    ... everything is CHMODed for race, ... ready, steady ... GO!
    wow.. I really like this..
    Eric Coleman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    labs4.com Thanks for this demo I was looking at your site earlier and it was something that i didn't like (the fact there was no demo)

I have a small edit box type thing i used for my upcoming blog system (For personal use on my site only) and i really like your system. How easy is it to extend it for other needs etc?

For example I have a button to post a poll which is then pharsed by the php. Something like [poll=4] with the number being the poll ID. Is there a way to add buttons that could do this kind of thing?

And maybe some way to use CSS from a file rather than the font options?

Just some ideas.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where are all the posts since htmleditbox posted? There gone? Wtf!
    Eric Coleman

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the advisors accidently moved this thread to the ebargain bazaar forum, where posting replies is not allowed. I've now fixed this.

Let the discussions continue...
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the posts of the author of HTMLeditbox was deleted, I'm reposting some of that vital information, since it was perfectly valid and in adherence to the guidelines. The second one might have been a little bit out of line, but it still addressed user issues and answered questions. The most important bit is the URL to the online demo of HTMLeditbox:

http://www.labs4.com/go/index.php?p=...editbox&s=demo
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get what you pay for!

We have researched this space extensively. We are fully aware of this HTMLEditBox product and we don't consider it to be a competitor.

We're targeting the professional Web Developer. Web Development Companies and Freelancers who have several clients that they wish to service with a professional Content Editing Solution for their CMS.

We consider our competitors to be the following companies and products:

http://www.adminimizer.com/

http://www.ektron.com/info/03-12-02-AdGroup2.htm

http://www.cfdev.com/

http://www.realobjects.de/

I think you will agree that while the above products have varying degrees of functionality, our product is a clear winner on portability, professionalism and price..

Anyway, you be the judge. Or perhaps let your clients be the judge, that's how we developed Editize - in conjunction with our dozens of Web Development clients.
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, why isn't HTMLeditbox a competitor?
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same reason Ford don't compete with BMW. They're both makers of cars with similar features, but they target a different segment of the market.

We're not interested in customers who prefer to deal with a single person operation and a $10 product.

As I said, we're targeting professional Web Development Companies who need and expect professional products and support for them and their clients.
    Last edited by Mark Harbottle; May 13, 2002 at 03:03.
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!