SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Textarea Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I wantto commend the Sitepoint people for allowing an honest debate about theirs and competitors products on their nickle. Not all website operators are so egalitarian. It is particularly impressive since their product has been out less than a week, and could still be considered an "early release" until they have 100 or so installed and no new bugs reported. I remmeber one site I was at that shut down an entire message board rather than have clients talk about their products.

Now here is my two cents worth.

In the PHP world of commercial software, $125 is alot of money for people who are developinga standard script for sale. You have to consider thatthe average open-source PHP script sells for maybe $50. I hope to have a highend one that might get $499 (but I doubt it). I am not willing to giveup 25% of my revenue for just what is basically a one-tag feature. I think the market for editize is the one-up corporate developers, where $125 is not such a big deal. In fact, if I was just building one website I would consider it. It is in multiple licenses that it gets meaningfully painful. As a corporate deeloper, I would pay $125 rather than $10 just so that my boss gave the product some respect and I had a company to gripe at when users gripe at me.

So I am thinking my approach will be to include the $10 product, and if the clients gripe about it see if they want to spend another $150+ for editize, which has more or less features. It should be an easy up(?)grade.

Of course, I have only spent about 3 minutes iwthe ach product. Actually installing and using them, as well as letting a couple of users at them will be the final decising factor. Price is only one part of the issue.

As far at HTMLEdit not being competition for Editize based on price point, people used to say the same thing about that discount store down the street called Walmart.

And to the poor developer that could not afford $10... Assuming you are in the USA, maybe you could have mom and dad buy it for you for your birthday. I spend plenty of money on my hobbies, including CD's, stereo equipment, DVD's, running shoes, DishTV, internet access, [you get the idea]. Just because your site is not a money maker is no reason to not have the right tools available to make your hobby fun, especially at $10. Of course, maybe you would rather have the knowledge that comes from spending a few weeks writing your own. THAT is a good reason not to buy it, especially for a young developer.

But I am interested in seeing both product mature. I hope that Sitepoint allows a good natured "feature shootout" here, as each group tries to upgrade feature-sets in the battle and we all win.

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting comments Galt, thanks!

The market for Editize is indeed Corporates and established Web Development Companies building commercial Web sites in the range of $2,000 plus. If you ran a corporate intranet for example $127 is nothing to pay to have your entire company use Editize to update the Intranet.

Editize is not designed or marketed to be sold to hobby developers selling $50 PHP scripts. I think I mentioned in another thread (or perhaps this one) that if you fall into this category of Developer HTMLEditBox is probably a better choice for the price.

You mentioned a feature shoot out. I think if you're going to do this (and I welcome it) then you need to also evaluate the peripheral things that come into any software purchasing decision but are rarely mentioned in product comparison tables.

You even touched on some of these in your post - I am talking about tangibles such as the presentation of the product, our reputation, the user/customer experience, the development team behind the product, the fact that we've been around for years and we'll be here in years to come. Most of these things rarely get mentioned but they all add up and they help justify a $127 price tag.

I have no doubt that if you compared features alone at this point Editize would not win out. The main thing we have going for us at the moment is portability - Editize works almost anywhere. We've got this part right, now come the features.

Keep an eye on this page http://editize.com/history.php. You'll notice it being updated weekly. Within 6-8 weeks we will have nailed image support and many other cool features that have been requested. And we won't be charging any extra for these - V1.0 users get the updates free of charge.

Anyway, keep the comments coming, we love hearing what you think, and I am more than happy to address your questions publicly...
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Now how about giving this thread (and ones to follow) it's own forum before this one gets 100 pages long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a forum for editize specifically would be a good idea. Plus it would be another way to attract more customers as spotting a forum about a program that's so great is much easier then noticing an anouncement.

P.S. Just got my 1st license file.
    Last edited by Codename49; Jun 7, 2002 at 16:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you guys forgot to mention something:

Doesn't this editize require that the people using it download some java runtime or something like that? When i went to go look at the demo on the editize site, it required that I download a java thingy, which in turn would not get off of my system tray once it was installed.

Can anyone provide some answers for me? This applet is exactly what I have been looking for to use on all of my CMS's. Although, if there is a java runtime download required, my clients wont know how to do that and I don't want to walk each of them through installing it. Thank you.
    "Mankind cannot define memory, yet it defines mankind"
    -- Project 2501, Ghost in the Shell

Smarty | PEAR | PHP Manual | MySQL Manual

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dkode,

Yes, the Sun Java Plug-in 1.3.1_02 or later is required by Editize.

The good news is that MSIE automatically downloads and guides the user through the installation of this plug-in the first time an Editize (or other Java 2 enabled Web site) is encountered, so you don't need to go around talking each of your clients through the plug-in installation.

As for the icon on your task bar, it is only present while the Java Plug-in is loaded in your browser, so as soon as you close your browser it will go away. Windows XP users can also hide the icon if they like by using the Customize Notifications feature of that OS. Sun have promised an option to disable the icon in a future version of the Plug-In.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by anthony_irl
    Both Editize and HTMLeditbox are not options as I dont make web sites commercially and so can't afford any outlay.
    Man, HTMLeditbox costs rougly the same as 2 meals at McDonalds - you CAN afford it.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yank
    Arkham,

You'll be happy to know we just released Editize 1.0.4, which includes Word-Delete and Word-Backspace as per your suggestion (as well as a few other enhancements).
    If the value of:
    editize.display(#Value#); comes from a database, containing line breaks etc etc. What is there to stop #Value# being rendered as html, and breaking the JS.

??? help...

M@

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have solved the problem...

If you also want to know, give me and email...

M@)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you are using the JavaScript API, it is your responsibility to escape special characters like apostrophes and line breaks so they are represented with the correct JavaScript character codes.

An alternative, which is especially useful in ColdFusion applications, is to write the document out into a hidden form field and then use JavaScript to read it from there:
    Code:
    editize.display(document.forms[0].hiddenFieldName.value);
    I hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by gameon
    If the value of:
    editize.display(#Value#); comes from a database, containing line breaks etc etc. What is there to stop #Value# being rendered as html, and breaking the JS.

??? help...

M@
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yank
    Assuming you are using the JavaScript API, it is your responsibility to escape special characters like apostrophes and line breaks so they are represented with the correct JavaScript character codes.

An alternative, which is especially useful in ColdFusion applications, is to write the document out into a hidden form field and then use JavaScript to read it from there:
    Code:
    editize.display(document.forms[0].hiddenFieldName.value);
    I hope that helps!
    Hi Kevin, in the end I did get it working, in the form field.

But, the form field needs to be stripped of line breaks, so I did that too.

What I've done works... its probably not the best way though...

<CFSET Request.Newline = Chr( 13 ) & Chr( 10 )>
    <cfset FormFill = Replace(form.text, Request.Newline, "", "ALL" )>
    <cfset FormFill = "'" & FormFill & "'">

<script language="JavaScript">
    var editize = new Editize();
    editize.name = 'text';
    editize.width = '630';
    editize.height = '300';
    editize.codebase = 'http://URL';
    editize.appletbgcolor = 'cccccc';
    editize.basefontface = 'Verdana';
    editize.basefontsize = '10';
    editize.basefontcolor = '000033';
    editize.headfontface = 'Verdana';
    editize.headfontsize = '12';
    editize.headfontcolor = '000033';
    editize.subheadfontface = 'Verdana';
    editize.subheadfontsize = '12';
    editize.subheadfontcolor = '000033';
    editize.paragraphstyles = false;
    editize.highlighttext = false;
    editize.inlinecode = false;
    //editize.baseurl = '/images/editise';
    editize.display(#FormFill#);
    </script>

Question, can I control the graduated background of the interface - would like to make it a solid color....

M@)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two problems with your code:
    1. By removing line breaks from the code, you will destroy the formatting of 'Code Block' paragraphs.
    2. An apostrophe (') in the HTML document will cause a JavaScript error and will fail to load the Editize applet.
    I suggest you use the hidden form field method I outlined above (and which is explained in greater detail in the Troubleshooting section of the Editize manual) unless you have a better grasp on character escaping.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seam to be working (apart from the code block stuff. So, I'll re-code as you suggest.
    M@