SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem with date... inserted as 1969-12-31

I am having problems with getting the dates entered into a form correctly inserted into the database. As it stands, the dates are being inserted as 1969-12-31.

I am working with a script that appears to be abandoned by its author, so although I know very little about MySQL, I am trying my best to learn enough to get this working. I have scoured the internet before posting here, but I am still no closer to finding a solution.

There is a form with name, description, start date and end date fields. I wasn't sure what format to enter the date in the start and end date fields, but I have tried every format I could think of and still get the incorrect date being inserted.

I am not sure if the problems is with strtotime() -- I have read about it but don't understand fully to know if it there is anything incorrect in my code.

Here is the code for the form--
    Code:
    <form name="challengeform" id="challengeform" class="wrap" method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
            <input type="hidden" name="action" value="<?php echo $mode?>">
            <input type="hidden" name="challengeID" value="<?php echo $challengeID?>">
            <div id="item_manager">
                <div style="float: left; width: 98%; clear: both;" class="top">
                    <!-- List URL -->
                    <fieldset class="small">
                                <table>
                            <tr><td>name</td><td><input type="text" name="challenge_name" class="input" value="<?php if ( !empty($data) ) echo htmlspecialchars($data->name); ?>"></td></tr>
                            <tr><td>description</td><td><input type="text" name="challenge_description" class="input" value="<?php if ( !empty($data) ) echo htmlspecialchars($data->description); ?>"></td></tr>
                            <tr><td>date start</td><td><input type="text" name="challenge_start" class="input" value="<?php if ( !empty($data) ) echo htmlspecialchars(date("d/m/Y",strtotime($data->dateStart))); ?>"></td></tr>
                            <tr><td>date end</td><td><input type="text" name="challenge_end" class="input" value="<?php if ( !empty($data) ) echo htmlspecialchars(date("d/m/Y",strtotime($data->dateEnd))); ?>"></td></tr>
                            </table>
                    </fieldset>
                    <br />
                    <input type="submit" name="save" class="button bold" value="Save &raquo;" />
                </div>
                <div style="clear:both; height:1px;">&nbsp;</div>
            </div>
        </form>
        <?php
    }

function strtotime_au($str)
    {
       $str = preg_replace("/^\s*([0-9]{1,2})[\/\. -]+([0-9]{1,2})[\/\. -]*([0-9]{0,4})/", "\\2/\\1/\\3", $str);
       $str = trim($str,'/');
       return strtotime($str);
    }
    ?>
    And to insert into db--
    Code:
        $sql = "insert into " . WP_CHALLENGE_TABLE . " set " 
                        . "name='" . mysql_escape_string($challenge_name) . "', "
                        . "description='" . mysql_escape_string($challenge_description) . "', "
                        . "dateStart='" . date("Y-m-d",$challenge_start) . "', "
                        . "dateEnd='" . date("Y-m-d",$challenge_end) . "'";
    Hopefully I have provided enough of the script or the right part of it... I appreciate anyone who can offer help with this!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Unix/Linux time is measured in seconds from Jan 1, 1970. In other words time the number 0 when interpreted as a time will be Jan 1/70. In your case, because of your time zone setting, its giving Dec 31/69.

I don't know enough php to debug your problem but if you find the zero then you have found your problem.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Start with your html form, and try and enter exactly what the database expects to see.

2009-02-28.

Honestly, there could be lots of other stuff going on behind this, so you'd better get someone to sort it out for you.