SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

populate pages automatically?

How would I populate pages automatically on a site? I can't seem to find any tutorials or information on this.

Lets say I have: directory > categories > subcategories

How does the link "<a href.....> from the top directory get populated from the database to show the page and links. Then we have subsequent categories and subcategories?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you write it in some ore details:
    Because we can't understand what you want to ask....

Are you want to develop a directory script or some thing else?
    If you want to built a link directory then why not you use a open source and then customize it?...

Or you looking for the script like aboutus dot org , where if you search for a site then it creates a new page if it is not in its DB?....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Lets takes this link for instance.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...35#post4145235

?p= --- where does this come from?
    #post --- same thing
    4145235 ---same thing

If I come to the forum index here, the list is generated from the database and ordered by date right? All the links are inputted automatically as html somehow. A loop must be generating the pages and forming the links. I'm looking for some example code of how this works I guess, as I really don't understand it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not a php guru . . . but all its doing is calling it from MySQL so you have to write the code for it in php and then call it in your html file . . . i am just starting to crack the cusp of php, as i have taught myself html and now starting to hack at the php pages. so i am not sure how accurate my answer is

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a word, manually.

There isn't any automatic function that you can pass your schema to and it will create the relevant links for your application I'm afraid.

You can create a template for a link, then populate it with data which would create links for you though...

It's all about the planning.

You may want to look at how CodeIgniter creates URLs - it provides a nice way to do it on a generic level.
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to have a logic database first, which stores the value of directories, categories and subcat...

Then you will want to take advantage of using $_GET, getting the URI to prepare the query

Then you might need some mySQL techniques to get the right values among hundreds(maybe thousands) of generic values in database.