SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry IE 6 Install Killed my existing IE 6 install

I'm running XP corporate (with all the service packs installed). Anway, the other day I was looking to download a full IE 6 install to burn to a cd in order to upgrade a friends system.

I've always had IE 6 installed since it comes with XP. Anyway, I went to the microsoft download site and ran the installer hoping it would give me an option to download a full install of IE 6. Anway, the installer downloaded and did someting to my existing IE 6. Now, I'm having applications especially IE 6 crashing and poping up with the "send error report" dialog.

I tried rolling back my system to last week, but the problem still exists. Did a virus scan as well, nothing found.

I did note a bug in XP that may be in Win2000 as well. I had files that I downloaded in a folder on my desktop, when I did a rollback the files were not there...I had to undo the rollback, move the folder to my documents and then do the rollback again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoying, huh? Microsoft won't let you download the entire setup file for IE. Instead, you have to download a ~500K file and then let that connect to the Internet to download the additional 20 MB (if you want typical install with Outlook Express, WMP, etc.)

I've tried searching for the full file when I've needed it, no success. What you did shouldn't have caused any problems, but you can repair IE by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Internet Explorer.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. I get a copy of Internet Explorer 6.0 on CD everytime I purchase a computer magazine...
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just for future reference

you can find instructions on how to download the full version of ie6 from microsoft here - www.broomeman.com.
    It's useful as you can choose your version of windows - meaning a smaller download

or you can get the whole shebang from evolt.org

...but of course, getting a copy from a computer magazine cover cd is easier