SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Help for I.T. site

Hi,

Our company currently develops websites for a range of different type of businesses. In these cases we have been able to shape the content, ideas and needs of our customers into designs that fit their businesses; however, we are having a much more difficult time designing a site that represents our own business and were hoping for some of you to help clarify and wade through a few of our questions?

• We are an I.T. based comany with 3 main division
      • I.T. and Networking - 60%
      • Software and Web Development - 30%
      • Data (migration and recovery) - 10%
    • We are experts at open source and Linux. In our area there are few other companies that know open source and Linux; therefore we want to highlight this uniqueness of our company. We use the moto 'Free your I.T. for real!"

We would like to stay away from the typical type of I.T. designs that are shown on the web because we want the design to match our uniqueness and believe that most I.T. sites blather on about their technology in such a way that most people don't read it or care to understand.

The questions:

1. What type of imagery would you use to compliment an I.T. company?
    2. Would you aggressively or more subtly market the uniqueness's driven by how we can significantly lower costs now and in the future and produce highly secure and stable networked environments?
    3. How much and what kind of information would you typically put for:
      • Products
      • Services
      • ** NOTE ** We are writing the content not very much about ourselves but more from the prospective of a customer's needs.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Steve
    ictus==""

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.

1 -- I dont know.
    2 -- I would say somewhere in the middle would be fine. Certain aspects of your marketing should be aggressive, whereas other aspects, such as buying forum signatures, posting on blogs, etc should be more subtle. Adwords usage can be aggressive, and the subtle marketing aspect will keep peopel thinking of your site.
    3 -- Im not sure here either.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Thanks for you thoughts Amirmullick3!

I like your ideas on marketing

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're asking some pretty targeted questions there. While I could give answers that would suit my situation just fine there is no way I could do so for yours. Perhaps your first step should be to do some real market research and see a.) who is using the site, b.) what they are using it for and c.) if the company is looking for growth what is the competition doing well.

Good Luck
    Wiggsfly

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Wiggsfly,

I have done a lot of research and I know what other I.T. companies are doing. This is why I am writing here, to find perhaps a different perspective(s).

a) and b) Currently our site is nothing more than a contact page so nobody really uses it for anything other than finding our address or phone numbers.

c) Companies in our area are NOT doing well - non of our competitors are; therefore we offer something they find hard to do which is eliminate licensing costs for their different server and security requirements and in applicable situations their desktops. We are getting more and more customers that are switching due to the immediate and future costs savings.

I don't expect that someone will be able to provide exact solutions to my questions but rather their perspectives - although I must admit I did not frame the initial post in this way... my bad

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your welcome serverstorm, glad I could be of any help.