SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using a WP theme as your portfolio

Hi,

I've been throwing around this idea for a while and wanted to get the communities view. I have had a generic splash page on my site for many months now saying "coming soon" and I know I'm not the only one that could say this about their own site.

I rarely have any time to design and code my own portfolio site. Is using a WP Theme ethical to get my portfolio site up until I can design and code one myself? Do you deceive a potential client using a professional theme? Even if your are a web designer or developer.

I was running this by my fiance and she thought I would be deceiving clients? Her example was a photographer...like a photographer can't use someone else photo's for their own portfolio. But my counter argument was that my sites I have done, I have designed, and I have coded, just I don't have time to get my own portfolio site up. Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think that it is wrong using someones elses wordpress theme, even if you edit it. Its fine having a look at how they did something or getting inspiration from others - but don't use thiers! I always do mine from scratch.

I aggree with your fiance; it is deceiving; ohh and congrats on the up coming wedding

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes since you are a designer people expect you to design your own site rather than using someone elses WP theme.
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgroves View Post
    Personally, I think that it is wrong using someones elses wordpress theme, even if you edit it. Its fine having a look at how they did something or getting inspiration from others - but don't use thiers! I always do mine from scratch.

I aggree with your fiance; it is deceiving; ohh and congrats on the up coming wedding
    Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by electroskan.com View Post
    Yes since you are a designer people expect you to design your own site rather than using someone elses WP theme.
    Agreed, I finally said F'it...bit the bullet and actually started designing a layout last night. I'll be posting for critiques once I get the site up and running. Again, thanks for the input

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a designer why would you even want to use someone elses template as your portfolio? It is so wrong on practically every level.

The time issue is a ridiculous excuse. If you don't have time to create your own portfolio site how are you going to have time to do work for clients? Perhaps you will just sell them someone elses templates too.

I realize I sound a bit harsh but the whole concept of a designer who cant even be bothered to design their own portfolio lights a fire inside of me.

Your portfolio does not even have to be a major design, in fact I prefer minimal portfolio designs, that way you do not get distracted by the layout and can just concentrate on the projects featured. All you have to do is put some screenshots of your projects, some info, a nice logo and you can have something looking pretty slick within days.