SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very basic Newbie question:

I am (very) new to website design (trying to teach myself rather than on any structured course) and now that I am OK with XHTML I would like to move on to a more interesting site.

As a project I would like to set up a site which does something very simple but interactive say, maybe, a site for noughts-and-crosses (tic-tac-toe) but I don't even know what technology would be needed for this- javascript, flash etc? Can anyone give me some pointers, ideally with websites or books that could help a beginner like me to get going on this project?

Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you could make it with flash, or javascript and php. If I were you, I would pick one language to learn, instead of little bits at once.

Ever visited W3Schools? You should learn the basics of whatever languages you are going to use before you make something more complex.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi MM01,

I would personally do this in Javascript first. canassassin is correct that you could use any of the aformentioned technologies; however Javascript is a great base for later moving into Flash action script and the object oriented aspects of Javascript would be a good place for you to start learning about object oriented programming who's concepts can be applied to many .Net, Java and PHP technologies.

One thing to do is go to one of the Javascript libraries like Yahoo's YUI or Dojo and you can download the components like floatable objects, constraints, and 'lock into place' - all would be applicable to X's and O's. Then add your own object or non-object orient code to complete the application. To see how flexible your design is, once you have it built and working try to add options that allow people to modify the game like with timers, or a larger number of spaces to play with or to stylize the skin (maybe with css and javascript) - good things to learn early on.

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed, JavaScript is an excellent platform to move to from XHTML and CSS... it leaves you in good stead for client side coding which can interact later on with languages such as PHP and Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep javascript - try yahoo yui - there is a ton of info to get you started.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    One thing to do is go to one of the Javascript libraries like Yahoo's YUI or Dojo
    Personnaly I use jquery as my javascript library.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know html, as a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can be done with CSS a tic-Tac toe Game. I can show you how to do it.
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi BlakeAnthony

It is great that you can do Tic Tac Toe using CSS and I'm sure many would like to see how to do this, but keeping inline with the subject of this thread, It may be best to convey and support to the "Newbie" - MM01 - the concepts of separation:

1. Content HTML/XHTML/XML
    2. Layout & Presentation CSS
    3. Behaviours = Javascript

It is best to learn separation as early as possible to keep XHTML semantic and keep the CSS and Javascript out of inline usage; instead into separate files and even though XHTML and Presentation can be done with Javascript and DOM doesn't mean it should be done there; instead work to use javascript to control interactions with events (clicking, scrolling, mouse-overs, client side validation (Always also use server-side validation as well)), use CSS strictly for styling your XHTML content.

CSS best use is not for behaviour.

Don't mean to offend you, just wanted to shed a view about shaping good behaviour while initially learning.

Cheers,
    Steve
    ictus==""

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try javascript/flash but also try making an ajax widget of some sort..they are all the rage these days as people like to be as interactive as possible on a webpage.
    Truthful Review of Regcure
    Protect and Clean your PC for fast performance
    Compare Registry Cleaners - RegcureReview.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey! me also new in web desing and want to know how can we develop quality webpage which supported to all browser ans looking so professional

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    javascript would probably be the best but some great webpages are made by flash except they are not supported on every platform.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codealready View Post
    some great webpages are made by flash except they are not supported on every platform.
    Flash is available to install across Windows, Mac and Linux (in some form) and also works across all the majority web browsers. It is supported, it just isnt very semantic or accessible (and im many cases breaks usability).