SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to make my webpage compatible with major browsers

hi, i'm not sure if i am posting this in the right forum, i have a major problem with my website.
    my website displays and functions fine on IE but on morzilla firefox it does not work properly. most features works but some do not, like the layout of the page is not the same as i see it when i'm arranging the layout in dreaweaver. i have problems like; i have an iframe with scroller bars but the scroller bars do not show so user can scroll down.

please can someone help me with this. where do i start from to make my site compatible with most major browsers. Mfirfox, Opera and IE are the main one which i want my website to be compatible with at the least.

help please!

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the "layout" mode of Dreamweaver? It's unlikely that a website that is not very simple will be cross-browser compatible if you do it in layout mode. To get it to work in all the major browsers, you'll have to dig into the code.

Do you know CSS and HTML? If not, then they are worth learning and that will help you understand how to make your website work in IE and Mozilla (if it works in Mozilla, it tends to be identical in Opera and Safari).

It's difficult to ascertain the extent of the problems you have without seeing the actual website. Do you have it online?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically all the pages have been developed with php and html code also there is javascript. and i have used dreamweaver to set the layout of everythng. This is my first time i have ever built a small system without any help. i did not know much to start of with so its been difficult. i have just been learning as i have been implementing. now i realised that it should be browser compatible and need some guidence please.

i do know about CSS briefly, but CSS does not work well for Firefox and i don'nt know if thats the same for opera and safari.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy123 View Post
    i do know about CSS briefly, but CSS does not work well for Firefox and i don'nt know if thats the same for opera and safari.
    I don't know on what you base that statement, but it's quite astonishing. Firefox has excellent CSS support. IE and (at least older versions of) Dreamweaver, on the other hand, do not.

please can someone help me with this. where do i start from to make my site compatible with most major browsers. Mfirfox, Opera and IE are the main one which i want my website to be compatible with at the least.
    There are no shortcuts, I'm afraid. You need to learn HTML and CSS properly. Mark up the content semantically and structurally with HTML, then add styling with CSS and interactive behaviour with JavaScript.

You should always test in the best browser available, which means the latest version of Opera, Safari, Chrome or Firefox. IE6 and older are extremely buggy, and even IE7 has a lot of quirks and bugs, so you should never rely on those for primary testing.

Make sure it works in Opera/Safari/Chrome/Firefox first, then test in IE and add hacks and workarounds if necessary.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my website displays and functions fine on IE but on morzilla firefox it does not work properly.
    One of the most useful features of IE and FF is that if your page displays correctly in FF but not IE then you know your code is right and it's a browser issue. If it displays correctly in IE but not FF it's the other way around, your code is wrong. This is true for IE6 and I think it's true for 7 too. IE is a nightmare.

This is great for tracking down errors or identifying cross browser compatibility issues. I just have a version of of the main browsers on my pc and check as I'm going along.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    if your page displays correctly in FF but not IE then you know your code is right and it's a browser issue. If it displays correctly in IE but not FF it's the other way around, your code is wrong.
    In general yes, but there are cases where Trident gets things right and Gecko does not.
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need to learn basic css if you are going to have any sort of success getting things to look fairly similar in different browsers. Firefox will actually turn out to be your best friend while learning if you give it a chance. It is rarely necessary to get a site to render pixel perfect in each browser, as long as your happy with the result in each. Most people don't have a battery of different browsers loaded and spend their time cross checking each browser to make sure your site looks the same in each one. The more you know the easier it gets. Good luck.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an amateur, so my methodology isn't perfect, but here's what I do:

* Code it in EditPad and test it first in Firefox
    * Mutter and curse while fixing it in Firefox
    * Test it in Opera
    * Mutter and curse while fixing persnickety errors in Opera
    * Repeat for Safari (don't have Chrome yet)
    * Go away for a while, prepare for battle
    * Come back, take a deep breath, and open it up in IE
    * Scream, curse, rage, frighten cats with my ridiculous behavior, try to fix breakdowns in IE
    * Post URL in SitePoint forum and yell for help
    * Repeat last two steps as needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    I'm an amateur, so my methodology isn't perfect, but here's what I do:

* Code it in EditPad and test it first in Firefox
    * Mutter and curse while fixing it in Firefox
    * Test it in Opera
    * Mutter and curse on while fixing persnickety errors in Opera
    * Repeat for Safari (don't have Chrome yet)
    * Go away for a while, prepare for battle
    * Come back, take a deep breath, and open it up in IE
    * Scream, curse, rage, frighten cats with my ridiculous behavior, try to fix breakdowns in IE
    * Post URL in SitePoint forum and yell for help
    * Repeat last two steps as needed
    Hehe. We have all been there. Those guys in the css forum have got the patience of saints.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.