SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exporting MS SQL data into upgraded MS SQL database

I have a bit of a situation and I am new with this sort of operation. I have an MS SQL database that runs an application. This application was recently upgraded but I need to transfer the data over to the new database somehow.

Now I am using the import/export wizard for Studio Express but I have a couple of questions...

The database structure probably has changed a bit on the new MS SQL database. When I go to import, will it put the data into the correct fields? Even if there are new fields perhaps?

Is there anything I should be concerned with and watch for?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutton View Post
    The database structure probably has changed a bit on the new MS SQL database. When I go to import, will it put the data into the correct fields? Even if there are new fields perhaps?
    i'll give it a qualified yes

if you have touched none of the existing columns, just added new ones, then the load should work (provided you do something to ensure proper values are entered into the new columns too)

if some of the old columns are missing or have datatypes changed, all bets are off and you may have to write the matching SQL by hand
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a vendor-built application or a custom application? Are there any upgrade scripts lying around?