SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where to start......

Im new to webdesign and have a wealth of knowledge already written down but want to design a site around it, but I do not want to have it available unless the customer pays and then they will be given access to the contents of the site. What kind of site or template do I start with or does anyone have any info on what I should do to accomplish what I want. I know its an open question but as I said, I am very new and so far I have some of the site up but hate it, plus I dont know what options to use to do what I want.

Please help.

-Rich

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Rich,
    Welcome to SPF!
    Do you have a site for yourself?
    If not start with that!
    What are your skills? HTML? CSS? graphic design? JavaScript may be? any server side language you can develop sites with? What about databases?
    You can't make money from you very first site! you need to practice and be sure you can buid a Web site that works and that is standards compliant and that repects the rules and fulfills the needs of future clients.
    You can also start making web sites for your family, friends, sharities (for free) and after building 5 sutes or so you will have a portfolio that you will be able to show to your clients and then you can start trying to make money from your Web design skills!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, that sounds all well and good, but I have none of those skills and am working from the ground up. My plan is to sell my information as a data cd first on ebay or somthing and build my site while doing that. I have barely got anything yet except a main site which sucks and i created a blog for it, just to start a basis for hits later on.

proautointelligence and is the name of the site and then the same site with /CarSales behind it

My problem is that my site I created is so basic and I want to have a main page that tells all about the content they will get for their money then, they get redirected to another page where they will be able to pay for the info, then they will be able to get access by a password and a login that i create and then they can use all the info as they wish. read and ask questions....something like that....But I dont know how to do that.

** i appologize if this sounded anything like negativity..... I appreciate any help anyone will give.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have a long way to go. Your site dosn't sound to difficult because there arent many pages. It sounds like you will probably use php, as well as a database to keep track of a username, password, and whether or not the person has payed. For the actual paying, paypal would probably work good, and you need to set up a script so that when the payment is done, the database is updated so that it shows them as payed.

As for the style of the page, you will just need to practice making attractive sites like Dark Tranquility said. You will get better at it every time. I'm sure you can do this without paying anyone, and if you have any problems, I'd be glad to help.

Good Luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats great man, thanks for the insight. Im just very unsure as to what to do first. I dont know html and the website maker i used for my site sucks. I want to create a site from scratch or with a basic template maybe but im a major NEWB when it comes to this. Problem is I want it all now, and know its going to be a long time. I have all this info written down ready to make differnet pages and what not and more keeps flowing, but a friend of mine keeps telling me that I should start with little pages selling stuff on clickbank and stuff like that. But the whole idea was to do this car thing im into. I cant see myself staying interested in it if Im not doing what I want to be doing. Sounds confusing to an outsider im sure, cuz i know im definatly confused on the whole thing. I just wish I had someone to say, do this first, now do this , ok that looks like crap so do this...things like that.....im not working with really any money so I cant afford to pay someone to make my site especially because I dont know if people will actually pay for the information I plan on providing..... so frustrated.