SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What is C-class IP?

    I always wonder because I saw people selling link from their 70 sites with 70 c-class IP, so it means he has to have 70 different hosting to get 70 different IP?

    I hope you guy can help me out with this.
    50 Plus Links from PR 0 to Pr 9 = 2 dollars
    Best Quality Article Writing
    Cheapest Link Building...and Much More !
    Damn Cheap For All Your SEO Needs! CLICK NOW!!!!

  2. #2
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nantwich, Cheshire
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    According to most definitions:

    Class C - 110nnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn hhhhhhhh


    First three bits 110; 21 network bits; 8 host bits

    Initial byte: 192 - 223

    2,097,152 Class Cs exist

    254 hosts on each Class C

    As for whether 70 separate C-class networks would mean 70 separate hosting companies, I can't say. I would imagine, for example, that a hosting organisation with diverse locations for backup servers would have separate C-class IPs at the different locations.
    Learning PHP. http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a car from the 1970s

  3. #3
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A standard IP address consists of AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx blocks.

    These two IP address:
    132.453.112.1 and 132.453.112.3 are in the same C-class.

    132.453.112.1 and 132.453.116.1 are in different C-classes.

    Most smaller webhosts only have a single C-class range so to do it you will probably have to sign up to multiple hosts.

    It is possible that this guy is simply a broker for other people, rather than the 70 sites all being his own.

    Additionally, I don't think there is any actual evidence that Google penalises links from the same class C IP address.
    It is another one of those "facts" that are taught by SEOs that are, in reality, just best guesses.

    Don't forget that Google can also compare WHOIS information and nameservers, so don't blindly trust whatever dodgy information this guy is selling to you.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droopsnoot View Post
    According to most definitions:

    Class C - 110nnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn hhhhhhhh


    First three bits 110; 21 network bits; 8 host bits

    Initial byte: 192 - 223

    2,097,152 Class Cs exist

    254 hosts on each Class C

    As for whether 70 separate C-class networks would mean 70 separate hosting companies, I can't say. I would imagine, for example, that a hosting organisation with diverse locations for backup servers would have separate C-class IPs at the different locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by corbyboy View Post
    A standard IP address consists of AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx blocks.

    These two IP address:
    132.453.112.1 and 132.453.112.3 are in the same C-class.

    132.453.112.1 and 132.453.116.1 are in different C-classes.

    Most smaller webhosts only have a single C-class range so to do it you will probably have to sign up to multiple hosts.

    It is possible that this guy is simply a broker for other people, rather than the 70 sites all being his own.

    Additionally, I don't think there is any actual evidence that Google penalises links from the same class C IP address.
    It is another one of those "facts" that are taught by SEOs that are, in reality, just best guesses.

    Don't forget that Google can also compare WHOIS information and nameservers, so don't blindly trust whatever dodgy information this guy is selling to you.
    Thank for clearing out. is it true that your link will get a a lot of benefit as well as good serp if you link to multiple domains with multiple Ip instead of multiple domains in the same IP?
    50 Plus Links from PR 0 to Pr 9 = 2 dollars
    Best Quality Article Writing
    Cheapest Link Building...and Much More !
    Damn Cheap For All Your SEO Needs! CLICK NOW!!!!

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    4,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corbyboy View Post
    A standard IP address consists of AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx blocks.

    These two IP address:
    132.453.112.1 and 132.453.112.3 are in the same C-class.

    132.453.112.1 and 132.453.116.1 are in different C-classes.
    Hi,

    Sorry, but you're wrong, non of those addresses are Class C addresses, Class C addresses fall in a specific range of addresses with the first 8 bytes being in the range 192 - 223 (as mentioned previously). What your example shows are addresses in the same /24 subnet (in the first example) and in different /24 subnets in the 2nd example.

    A /24 is not the same as a Class C block. A Class C address block is a /24 though.

    Thank you,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Hi,

    Sorry, but you're wrong, non of those addresses are Class C addresses, Class C addresses fall in a specific range of addresses with the first 8 bytes being in the range 192 - 223 (as mentioned previously). What your example shows are addresses in the same /24 subnet (in the first example) and in different /24 subnets in the 2nd example.

    A /24 is not the same as a Class C block. A Class C address block is a /24 though.

    Thank you,
    My apologies, I was wrong.

    My point about doing this for SEO purposes is still valid however.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    4,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, I fully agree with you there, Google has a lot of tricks up its sleeves for working out things like this. Especially if all the IPs are actually on the same network - trivially easy to work out.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    bali
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corbyboy View Post
    Don't forget that Google can also compare WHOIS information and nameservers, so don't blindly trust whatever dodgy information this guy is selling to you.
    Hm...i just had a line on. I already order 3 different IP but using same Name server, is that effect for Good SEO ?

  9. #9
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ramayadi So many people use shared name servers and IP ranges it is not really logical that Google would put a lot of weight on that factor when it comes to people like you with just a handful of websites. So I would not be concerned at all about an SEO penalty or problem from that config.

    My best guess would be that the only time this becomes an issue is when all of your sites mostly just link to each other.. so the percentage of incoming links from possibly related sources is high. (which is why the people who offer to publish your link on 70 different blogs think different C Classes is a good idea.)



    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Hi,

    Sorry, but you're wrong, non of those addresses are Class C addresses, Class C addresses fall in a specific range of addresses with the first 8 bytes being in the range 192 - 223 (as mentioned previously). What your example shows are addresses in the same /24 subnet (in the first example) and in different /24 subnets in the 2nd example.

    A /24 is not the same as a Class C block. A Class C address block is a /24 though.

    Thank you,
    Do you know what is the point of defining that specific range as Class C?

    I had also incorrectly assumed that class c simply referred to the third range in the IP number.
    |
    Add Your Robotics site to my Robot Directory: submit
    |
    Add Your Las Vegas Website to my Las Vegas Directory: submit

  10. #10
    SitePoint Wizard ~ServerPoint~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what is the point of defining that specific range as Class C?
    As rule they are SEO benifits for the own network of web sites
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

  11. #11
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,875
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing to note is that the class C addresses in the 192.168 range represent 255 private class C networks that are not accessible directly from the internet.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  12. #12
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    4,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    As rule they are SEO benifits for the own network of web sites
    Nope, nothing to do with that. It comes from a time when Classful routing was done, now we use CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing) so it's not really relevant any more. I'd suggest a google if you want to know more about Classful routing
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not yet cleared.I have another question.How they will get 70c class ip's?
    Are they using different 70 hosting companies?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •