User Tag List

Thread: SEO Career

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SEO Career

What are some of the good reasons and bad reasons to choose SEO as a Career?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of bad reasons could be a lot of small website operators nowadays prefer to do in-house SEO, rather than spending money with outsource.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to be careful of is the fact that you don't have any control over what google does or how they change things. We're all waiting to see what they churn out in later first quarter related to video and forced historical search playing an even larger roll in serps.

We don't know when it will happen or to what extent. But, surely some sites will suffer when others do not. A single career in "only" seo means you are at the mercy of what google implements.

Not saying that's good or bad...you just had be ready for anything so that there are no surprises when a client with 2500 pages calls you wondering what the hell happened yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know any bad reasons for choosing an SEO career.

Having a good knowledge of SEO will help you on making good money from your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think Good side of being an SEO is that as long as you have internet then you'll be able to make money online and SE's are your playground...Bad side: sometimes it's a little frustrating and too much pressure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one good reason is that you can work at home with SEO
    one bad reason is that the things that you would be doing would look like the same on the daily basis that is why it needs lots of patience and extra effort to do so..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I would try getting a website or two of your own to the top of Google for competitive search term(s) and see how easy/hard you find the process. Then branch out from there on spare-time basis and then go full time when you can see the business is there and you enjoy it. Good luck!

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, everytime I see a thread that starts with a generalised question post like that one, the poster has a couple of posts in total and hasn't replied to any other posts on the thread, and their sig links are well organised and usually for 'make money' schemes or such like, I can't help but think 'sig link spammer'.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Gosh, everytime I see a thread that starts with a generalised question post like that one, the poster has a couple of posts in total and hasn't replied to any other posts on the thread, and their sig links are well organised and usually for 'make money' schemes or such like, I can't help but think 'sig link spammer'.
    Off Topic:

SitePoint welcomes questions from new members. It doesn't matter how many posts they have. Lot of people join because they need to ask a question, not give an answer to one in another thread.

Please keep Your comments in SitePoint Threads on topic.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, SEO is very popular right now. Many peoples want to know about SEO and join it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good reason...
    as every tom dick and harry has site now....after 5-10 people wont type address but search for any thing she want ....and SE will be like major suggestor....so if u know seo then only u will survive...so more money will be vested in site promotion rather than site features....
    now web is in "features" phase....feature wins...

bad things
    with every thing made so simple,software being made for every thing...even scripting language being easier....will something called seo survive as a business is big question....if she knows every thing ...if software does every thing why should she pay u?
    and after all labour based work(site submission) doesnt earn real money..

so as for me...i think seo will be merged in to(be a part of) greater discipline called "internet marketing"...so better be ready for that...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and a friend have made some side money with SEO work.

But it is sometimes a pain to work with somebody who has their own web designer. Things can get crossed, sometimes web designers are touchy - as are SEO experts lol

I think that from a local standpoint the best way to make money is to roll your SEO services up into some kind of web design package.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by JJMcClure; Feb 9, 2009 at 10:39. Reason: Attempting to help other members and discourage spam posts
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It really doesn't matter who starts a thread at SitePoint or why the thread was started. The point is that in this thread there are several good replies to the question. Those replies make this thread valuable to members, especially new members who may not want to dig back weeks for other similar threads or may not know where to look for older threads.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One good reason is that you can make a lot of money with the right clients and find workers to do it cheap. You just need to speak the lingo well and sell it. A bad reason is actually needing to do the SEO work yourself.. It pretty much is busy work that will burn you out for little profit
    Download Software - Your place to Download Software
    PPC Management - Premium SEM, PPC Management Service
    Web Design - Award Winning Website Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfan77 View Post
    It pretty much is busy work that will burn you out for little profit
    I agree and have grown very tired of it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SEO techniques keep evolving continually. It's a good thing to be an SEO because the field has good potential for growth. On the other hand, one needs to up date SEO skills from time to time.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad reasons: becoming pretty commoditized and international workers are cheaper. Good news: everyone needs it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If seo is your career then u can promote ur websites networks in few days and earn as much as u want, no matter some one choice ur services or not.

For making good earnings traffic is everything so seo is good for doing job or offering ur own services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good reasons to choose SEO as a career: - There's a whole lot of scope for a SEO professional and also god chance to mint money.

Bad reasons to choose SEO as a career: - There's a whole lot of competition in the SEO field. It is no so easy get a breakthrough and as a professional in this field, you need to be on your toes 24*7

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO is cool and really interesting if you like Analysing and you are ready for exciting Dollar game.

SEO is not black magic or rocket science, but it always a unknown and very promising option for all Webmasters and E-commerce websites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also want to become a SEO expert.Thanks for suggestions

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    This question pops up with some regularity on SEO forums. It has been discussed more than once on our own SEO Chat forums. Before we address whether itís a good occupation to pursue, there is a great deal to consider.